UN World Food Programme

2.8

Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at UN World Food Programme in May 2011.

I have applied for an administrative position at WFP's DC office on Friday and they contacted me next Monday. Even though the position is based in DC office, the interview took place in NYC, so the interviewer preferred to spend Non-profit's $$$ to make people travel to meet her. They did paid for the travel though, but only after I begged for it in two months. There were three people in the conference room, but two of them were sitting taking notes. The interviewer didn't even bother to ask me what my name was and immediately started reading questions that pretty much sounded like personality test, same questions were rearranged and rephrased and after a dozen of them, I got really annoyed. Be ready for very annoying behavioral-type questions. The interviewer had a grading scale from 1 to 5 on her paper, where "1" was "Worst" and "5" "Best", and each time after I was done answering the question, she was marking the scale without giving a regard if I saw it or not. I have never been contacted after the interview, nobody bothered to reply to my Thank You letter. The post has been re-advertized two months after my interview.

Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UN World Food Programme.

I was called by the HR manager since I was recommended she only had to take my details. After that had an interview via skype with the department head he asked me work related question regarding logistics.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question just talking and looking for a proper connection   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UN World Food Programme in July 2014.

I applied online and was invited to do a phone interview 3 weeks later. The interview was pleasant but challenging. I was asked questions about my relevant knowledge and experience, but then also more difficult ones relating to the department and the aid process. Afterwards I had to write a page piece on current affairs and send it back within 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to give 3 reasons why it is beneficial for the WFP to receive in kind food from the US   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UN World Food Programme.

I applied online and the process took 2 months. Upload my CV on the website, and after couple of months I got an email and we set a phone interview. I had to present myself, demonstrate how my experience and knowledge match the duties and also explain why I had applied to that position and company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing special. I was asked to demonstrate specific knowledge vital for that position.   Answer Question

Field Monitor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peshāwar (Pakistan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peshāwar (Pakistan)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UN World Food Programme in September 2011.

Questions were asked about all aspects,i,e; job experience related,education related etc.

Public Information Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UN World Food Programme in June 2011.

You apply online, if long listed you are called for a test, if you pass you are called for an interview. The test is technical and is taken in a neutral enviornment and moderated by HR. The interview is a panel interview and is a combination of technical, behaviorial and personality questions.

Interview Questions
    • From your experience please suggest how WFP can further impove their social media presence in the country   View Answer
    • What are you strengths and weaknesses   View Answer
    They are open to negotiation, however only within their pre-defined range

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rome (Italy)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at UN World Food Programme in December 2010.

Upload my CV on the website, and after a few day, I've been called. The interview was average, behavioral questions and the atmosphere was peasant. At the end of the interview they asked me if I wanted to join the organization

Interview Questions
    At the end of the interview they ask me to join us, they told me to give them my final answer the day after, ans so I did.

Senior ICT Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Damascus (Syria)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UN World Food Programme in November 2010.

Very Standard to United Nations policies and Procedure

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rome (Italy)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UN World Food Programme in August 2010.

I applied online for an advertised vacancy. They were quite quick at advising me of reaching the shortlist, which is unusual for the UN. Most of the HR processes were surprisingly quick.

First I had to do a language test in a WFP official language other than English. Or you have to provide evidence of some kind of certification of your language level. I had no such certification so I signed up for a test.

Little information about the test was provided beforehand. Basically though an external firm was given my phone number and a time to call, which had been agreed with me. They called almost an hour late however. The test was conducted purely over the phone, so it could only focus on listening and speaking ability - the former particularly not being a strong point for me. The tester would ask a question and you would respond to it. Many of the questions were hypothetical (what would you do if you were outside and it started raining and you had no umbrella? how would you describe the sea to someone who was blind?) and others practical (what will you be doing in 10 years? what did you do on the weekend?). The idea is to make you use various pieces of grammar (conditional, future etc) and also to test if you understand the questions. The language test lasted probably around 20+ minutes.

I struggled a fair bit, but the level required obviously depends on the job and the job I was going for probably did not require a high level. I am at about B1 level in this language and managed to get to the interview stage.

I then was invited to interview in person in Rome at their HQ, with the option of a phone interview instead if I preferred. I went to Rome. I organised the transport and hotel myself, but I was later reimbursed (keep your receipts!).

There were 3 people in the interview - pretty standard in the UN system. The interview started 5-10 minutes late, although one of the panel members turned up only after another 10 minutes or so.

I got the impression that the panel members were not serious and that this was not an open recruitment exercise. Two of them constantly checked their Blackberries during the interview, with one even writing up an email (presumably) during it. This is annoying enough in a meeting, but during an interview it was insulting and lacking in professionalism.

The rest of it went OK, taking about 45-50 minutes consisting of Q&A from both sides. There were no especially tricky questions, but I got the clear impression there was a hole in my CV that meant I would not get the job. I assume that HR must have done the shortlisting, rather than panel members.

My overall impression was poor due to the Blackberry checking. I was left with a sour taste in my mouth regarding the organisation.

As a final sign of this, the position was then re-advertised on the internet without the organisation even having sent me any feedback on my interview. I guess that acts as the rejection email in their eyes!

Interview Questions
    • How much of your work time would you like to be taken up with technical work?   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Damascus (Syria)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at UN World Food Programme in January 2008.

The post is announced publicly. HR calls applicantd for.interviews after applicants are short listed to verify if they fit post requirements. Committe is professional and ask post relatef questions as well as personality analysis disregarding applicant nervousness during interview

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult if asked about a system adopted by the organiztion.which applicant is not familiar with   View Answers (2)
    It was comfortable and polite response