UNDP

Updated Jan 24, 2015
Updated Jan 24, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UNDP.

I applied online. Somebody from that office contacted me to schedule a face-to-face interview. The interview took only 15 minutes. 2 days after the interview, the manager offered me an internship, however she asked me if I was willing to start working 3 months after.

The questions were not unexpected.

1) Why do you want to work in this office? What do you know about the Organization?
    2) What motivates you to do this kind of work?
    3)What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
    4) When can I start working?

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not unexpected.

2) What motivates you to do this kind of work?
      3)What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
      4) When can I start working?

Answer Question
    UN and its agencies do not pay salaries to their interns

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at UNDP.

I was selected during a group workshop through a recruiter and called in to interview. Process was fairly laid back but tough. I survived it. They mostly ask behavioral questions and try to gauge how personable you are. Be confident and be yourself you will be OK

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle being part of a team in which one of the members slacked off putting a strain on other members?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application and interview: There was an opening first, where you should apply through the website and they contact the successful candidates. In that case, they make an interview either through Skype or face-to-face.

Intern Interview

Applied through school website. I was contacted by one of UNDP's officers a day after and they asked for me to take a written test. Its test was pretty hard but somehow I passed the exam. After passing the exam, they interviewed me another 5 days later.

Communications Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UNDP.

After applying online, got an writing test and then the phone interview, pretty standard questions. why you wanna work here, what do you expect to get from this internship.

Technical Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at UNDP in August 2014.

This interview was for a one year contract, grant based senior technical position in a UNDP foreign post.

Of note - Even though the entire UN system uses the P11 application form, the particular format used by UNDP had to be submitted before the interview could be scheduled. Essentially, even though you can be registered and fully vetted with multiple UN agencies with the same P11, you will still need to manually complete a new P11 for UNDP.

The interview was coordinated through Skype with a 3 person panel with a program manager and two specialists on the team which appeared to be from the US and EU. No local staffers from the home country were involved. The names and job titles of the interviewers were not given beforehand or afterwards.

The interview lasted a little over an hour and focused on well-thought out technical questions related to the position and work required, with a focus on deliverables. No behavioural questions were asked, such as those relating to social relations, inter-personal experiences and cross-cultural skills. Language skills and relationships with local staff and culture was not explored - curiously as this would be pivotal for job success given the scope of work. Little information was provided on the mission, project or country dynamics.

At the end of the interview, the panel allowed for questions to be asked by the candidate. There was time for about three questions to be asked. When candidate questions were finished, the panel lead noted the time frame for a final candidate selection would be 2 months. Disconcertingly, there was no intent to make a final candidate short list, pursue work samples or second interviews to inform a final selection. So, the decision upon a final candidate would be based on this single initial interview, with no further exploration of desired skills through writing assignments or work samples. References were checked upon completion of the interview. The panel and process was very polite and technically focused, but lacked some important dimensions related to local culture and involvement.

It's difficult to believe an effective, informed decision can be made to select a senior technical candidate with just one interview and the absence of work samples. It's also unrealistic for candidates to maintain availability for such an extended time frame without knowing if they are short-listed, final candidates or just one drop in a large pool of applicants. These aspects are red-flags for candidates but not standard across the UNDP, likely being project and mission specific.

Interview Questions
    • A few cross-cultural confusions resulted from the wording/language used to explore skills, which were not part of the standard development terminology used in the United States, such as 'business process' for technical approach and methods, 'resource mobilisation' for fundraising and development. The most difficult question focused on explaining skills and experience advancing key initiatives outside your organization or program.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at UNDP.

Get hired through an agency. Simple question. Not a formal interview.

Officer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UNDP.

You will take a writing examination before invited to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't any difficult or unexpected questions. All of the questions were standard questions such as conflict resolution stories etc.   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UNDP in July 2013.

I applied through university career website and submitted online application in March 2013.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate, since I'm young and innocent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UNDP in May 2013.

Applied online. Sent an email to a team member. Had a phone interview. Was not a good fit for me. Required more experience in political analysis which was not something I wanted to do in future. The interviewer was very sweet though.