UNESCO Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2015

2.5

Marketing Interview

Interview

First a friend recommended me to look at UNESCO, because there are limited job opportunities for Americans to work in Paris. There were both telephone and in person interviews, and a followup when the job was offered

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UNESCO in December 2012.

Interview

Straight forward: I was asked to talk about my previous experiences.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UNESCO.

Interview

Regular questions on my experience, what do I know about their project and programmes Review of their concepts My experience as a team leader Why UNESCO, what do I know about the International Institute for Educationnal Planning. It was half in French half in English, from a panel of 4 persons, they were very nice and friendly

Interview Questions

• How would you persuade a ministry to launch a strategic education plan ? Can education be a source of conflict ?   1 Answer

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montevideo (Uruguay)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UNESCO (Montevideo (Uruguay)) in September 2014.

Interview

It was a brief 2 to 1 interview. The interviewers were very polite and nice. I felt they wanted to see that the person is truly dedicated to working in such organization for the sake of well-being of others. They also ask about your future goals in order to make sure that you can benefit from the position they are recruiting for. Moreover, they asked me what I would like to do while working with them so that they could give me relevant tasks.

Interview Questions

• Why UNESCO? What do you know about UNESCO? How do you think this position can be interesting and beneficial for you?   Answer Question

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at UNESCO (Paris (France)) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online and they send me an email after 4 months to arrange a phone interview. I had a phone interview, about 40 min, with an interview panel of 3 experts. The interview was in English, and one question in French. It was a behavioral interview, they asked me shortly about my previous experience, explained me the nature of the project and asked me how my previous experience can fit with the assignment.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle the stress situations? What do you think will be the most complicated thing in this project?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UNESCO in May 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter first. Then 2 interviews, first with people from several departments (I think there were about five people, including HR) altogether and second with a department who was interested in my resume.

Interview Questions

• What is your strength and weakness? What is the problem that women in your country face? How do you think it should be solved?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UNESCO (Paris (France)) in May 2013.

Interview

No interview- got the job through someone working there. They simply looked at my CV from an email referral from a person working there and then offered me a role.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask me anything - I was just given the job off of my CV.   Answer Question

Social Mobilizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peshāwar (Pakistan)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UNESCO (Peshāwar (Pakistan)) in September 2009.

Interview

I was selected form my university of peshawer for this job, and gave excellent interview as i knew about my local culture more

Programmateur Spécialiste Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UNESCO (Paris (France)) in August 2009.

Interview

Environ 3 mois pour être en poste, je pense, c'est bon pour l'UNESCO. Ce n'était pas une position permanente, ce qui explique que la durée de temps était plus courte que pour les positions permanentes (ou les délais peuvent atteindre 9 mois). Mon CV a été présélectionné, ensuite j'ai eu un entretien, par téléphone. Je ne me rappelle pas avoir eu un deuxième face à face bien que je n'en sois pas sûr. Le panel était constitué approximativement de 4 personnes. Ils étaient gentils et mettaient les candidats à l'aise. J'ai eu officiellement connaissance des résultats de mon entretien relativement vite — moins d'un mois après l'entretien je pense. Je l'ai su de façon informelle personnellement plus tôt.

Around 3 months to be in post, I think, this is good for UNESCO. It was not a permanent position, which explains that the length of time was smaller than for permanent positions (where delays can be up to 9 months). My CV was preselected, then I had one interview, by phone. I do not remember having a second face to face interview, though maybe I did. The panel was made of approximately 4 persons. They were nice and put the candidates at ease. I officially knew of the result of my interview relatively quickly - less than a month after the interview I think. I personally knew informally before too.

Interview Questions

• Aucune question n'a été extrêmement difficile — ils m'ont demandé en quoi mon expérience passé pourrais m'aider dans mon nouveau travail et, comme j'étais déjà un employé de l'UNESCO, mais dans un autre emploi, ils m'ont posé des questions délicates à pro   No question was extremely difficult - they asked about the way my past experience would help me on my new job and, as I was already an employee at UNESCO, but in another position, they had slightly tricky questions about things that may have gone wrong in my previous position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

C'était une promotion, et j'ai eu un grade plus élevé. Pour un rang et un degré donné, il n'y a qu'un seul salaire possible, donc il n'y a aucune négociation possible dans ce cas. Ils m'ont mis au plus bas degré à mon nouveau grade. En fait, je me suis rendu compte qu'une collègue a négocié un plus haut degré dans ce grade — basé sur son expérience. Toutefois, ce n'est pas du tout un cas courant parce que ce n'est simplement une affaire d'expérience mais de l'adéquation de cette expérience avec avec le travail., etc. J'ai personnellement préféré ne pas négocier lors de l'embauche. Le salaire pour le travail est en fait la plupart du temps indiqué sur l'annonce d'emploi... et il est largement suffisant.

This was a promotion, and I was getting a higher grade. For a given grade and step, there is only one salary possible, so there is no negotiation possible in this respect. They put me at the lowest step in my new grade. Actually, I realized another colleague negotiated to get a higher step in that grade - based on her experience. However, this is not a common occurrence at all as this is not simply about extra experience but also relevance of the experience to the job etc. I would therefore personally not try to negotiate when applying. The salary for the job is actually most often provided in the job description... and is largely sufficient!