UNHCR Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

Internship Interview

Interview

I emailed my resume to the HR department and received a reply scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was extremely casual, mostly like a conversation. Questions were extremely basic as well, nothing unexpected.

Grants Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UNHCR (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

Extensive, excruciating, successful.

Negotiation

N/A

Senior Data Management Associate Interview

Interview

It was a written test in UNHCR Egypt and most of it was sql queries and it was easy until now it's fine and after about a month I got a call for an interview and the second day after receiving this call she called me again and she said that we need to make a round 2 from the test, I said okay and by logic the number of candidates in round 2 should be less than the previous but the surprise it was that we increased by one person! and this person already working in UNHCR! The third surprise it was that the test related to unhcr database and the given data it was not clear at all (which it needs someone already working with unhcr to understand it!) and this part of the test have 60% After the test we submitted our concern to HR and their replies it was so defensive without any logic. Please unhcr try to be honest and don't waste our time.

Senior Protection Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UNHCR.

Interview

Received a phone call told me that the test date ,the test was five questions , it was editorial Test contain how to perform the requirements of the position , easy questions for anyone who know what he will do if works in this field , of course the answer in this test was in English

Interview Questions

• What are the rules of the organization's work in Egypt?   Answer Question

Resettlement Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tbilisi (Georgia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at UNHCR (Tbilisi (Georgia)) in September 2014.

Interview

interview was largely composed of legal questions related to international laws. The interview panel consisted of 5 persons who posed questions in turn. The interview took place over the phone. Later on during the interview a few questions were asked to describe your skills such as teamwork and productivity, whereby you were requested to provide specific personal examples. One of the main job requirements was language proficiency, thus interviewers tasked me to respond one of the questions in the language required for the operation. In the end of the interview, i was given an opportunity to pose my questions. I thus had asked the panel a few questions regarding the job and office as s whole. Nevertheless the interview panel had not specified any timeline for their recruitment process and the date for the outcome of the interview itself, which in the end took over three months for them to finalize.

Interview Questions

• what are your writing skills?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UNHCR in September 2014.

Interview

I am applied via email on July 2014, and in September I got the reply from the HRD. In the general, the content of the email explaining the term of reference and if I still interested, I need to reply the email with confirmation that I've read and agreed the TOR. Around 2 weeks later, I got a phone call from UNHCR. It's a phone Interview, very casual interview. Just everyday question. Primarily asking about my readiness to work in the office, and my passion to working for UNHCR. I think they need people to help as soon as possible. I got accepted at that time too. And on the next morning, I got email from the HRD to complete the form and prepared some required documents. And I started my first day on the next week

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at UNHCR (Geneva (Switzerland)) in September 2014.

Interview

This was a contract position of less than 6 months. I sent in my app on the last day, was shortlisted, and then called the next week and interviewed by two people. Very professional, very well organised, and great questions. I felt as if I got on well with the two interviewers and their needs were very clear. In the end...They selected someone with direct experience in UNHCR which is good as it was a short, intensive contract role that required a rapid ramp up with experience in this work.

Interview Questions

• Explain the biggest challenges in working with refugees from a livelihoods perspective.   Answer Question

Legal Officer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at UNHCR.

Interview

The position has been announced by one of the regional offices. It was needed to fill in P11 form and to send everything via post. I have contacted in order to send it via e-mail too. 3 weeks latter I have received an invitation to take a written exam for the position. I took the exam for the position with 2 other persons, one of whom was temporary employed for the position on which we were competing - thus he even had the exam on his PC. We have received the tasks and also Hanbook guideliness of the UNHCR to consult, however it was not indicated that this matterial will be available. All in all, it was not clear whether there was a room for competition or not with the temporary working person.

Interview Questions

• Whether and how the UNHCR office in my country should intervene in issues related to detention policies?   1 Answer

FACE to FACE FUNDRAISER Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UNHCR (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

I applied on their website and within a few weeks was called and given an on-the-spot phone interview. In this interview she asked me basic questions like why I wanted to work for the company, what my experience was, and basic customer service questions. At its conclusion she invited me for a group interview the next week. The group interview lasted for approximately two and a half hours. During this time we watched some videos and learnt a little about UNHCR before introducing ourselves, outlining our experience, and summing up why we wanted to work for the organisation. The recruiter would randomly select us and ask us questions, scenarios, and test us to see if we were fit for/had the passion for what is a pretty demanding job psychologically. Overall it was a fairly relaxed interview that still demanded a sense of professionalism and knowing when to speak. If I could give any advice, it would be to keep smiling, to make yourself noticed without being obnoxious, to show your dedication to and knowledge of the organisation, and to always be interested in what your potential coworkers have to say.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone came up to you in the street and said "You're Australian, why are you working to help refugees?"   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UNHCR.

Interview

I was shortlisted 3 times for UNHCR internships. Each time I submitted my resume and cover letter to an office or person in charge of program, be that through a public and competitive offer or directly as an unsolicited application. I was offered an interview in the 3 cases and had some of the following questions: -Can you go through your CV? -Could you define what is a refugee according to the 1951 convention? -Could you give us some thought on the refugee regime as practiced in this country? -What did you previous experience on refugees bring you? -You mention research interests on (x) and (y), how would that help to carry out your duties? -You took these trainings on humanitarian affairs, how do you think you could incorporate that knowledge into what we're working on here? -You have necessarily dealt with a difficult person on your workplace. How did you deal with it? -When could you start? -Do you have any particular questions? -How have you ever innovated in a workplace? ... Then I had an email or phone call to confirm they wanted me to work but I declined in 2 cases as I was not available on the dates they offered. Overall I had a great impression of UNHCR officials in charge of interviews but it is obviously a quite subjective feeling.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with deadlines you have not respected in the past?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing really important since internships are unpaid at UNHCR.