UOP Chemical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.6

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

I went to a career fair at my school and spoke the UOP people. Two were nice and friendly. However, the thrid one was the most terrible person I have ever met in my life. He was the manger of a research team and wanted to recruit people to his new team at Houston. He joked about my degree and said he would never hire someone with a Master degree. I totally understand that R&D is looking for PhDs but you shouldn't look down at people with Masters. We worked hard to earn it. He was just so arrogant and impolite. I at least should earn some respects from you as an individual even I probably was not a competitive candidate. I will never ever apply to UOP and will discourage my PhD friends to work for them. Yes, I do have PhD friends and they never think I am stupid.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for UOP

Chemical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

They intereviewed right after the career fair at my University. Then very next day, no online application or anything. Took my resume and scheduled in my time slot and everything. The interview itself wasn't very hard. A couple personal/behavior questions. They glanced over parts of my resume but I think we spent most of the time talking about the company itself. After that I was given an acceptance letter for their second round interviews within a week or two. Their second round interviews are on site so they had us travel to Des Plaines, Ill. They're very flexible with their travel arrangements as I had to cancel on the first group of second round interviews. You spend two days(Thursday and Friday) in Des Plaines. They call this second round interviews Fantastic Friday. It includes plant tours and social meeting with employees in the company The second round interviews are much harder with three groups interviewing. Usually each group is made of two or three people. The questions are very resume focused asking you a lot of technical questions about my resume. Still not a bad thing just gets tiring having to answer very similair questions each round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to be in 5-10 years. It's not a hard question but it's VERY important to them because of their business model.   1 Answer
    • How do you believe your work on your resume relates to the company and how can your expertise help the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really isn't a negotiation phase.

Chemical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UOP in October 2014.

Interview

Went to an info session at school, applied the next day at a job fair, invited for an inperson interview the next day and then invited to Fantastic Friday the day after that. The interviews are very casual so there is nothing to worry about. There are no technical questions as they are not trying to throw you off, they are just looking for the very best candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to choose quantity over quality.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UOP (Des Plaines, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

The fly you to a hotel in Chicago NW suburbs. 1 or 2 engineers and 1 HR person will interview. They ask you typical questions: -Where do you see yourself in X years? -What was the most difficult thing you've overcome? -Will you work long hours? etc.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, or questions about engineering/science.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at UOP (Des Plaines, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. We had a phone interview first, since I had to travel for this interview. HR standard travel arrangements; nothing special, nothing bad. A couple of group interviews, lunch, and a couple of one-on-one interviews. Interviewers seems pretty well-prepared, having reviewed my resume and knowing what questions to ask.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UOP in October 2011.

Interview

Very easy going interview. They flew me to Des Plaines, Il and paid for a hotel. The interview was a simple 30 minute interview with the rest of the day consisting of presentations and a tour of the pilot plant.