UOP

UOP Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

3.4

Senior R&D Engineer/Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at UOP in April 2013.

1. Application online
    2. 90 min phone interview, all about research details
    3. On-site interview:

The on-site interview was tough. Firstly did a technical presentation for 1 hr. Then group interview by 10 scientists, asking difficult questions. Then individual interview by some scientists.

Interview Questions
    • Any details in the presentation can be asked and even if it is nothing related to what you do. Probably just a technical term and you need to know deeply.   Answer Question

R&D Tech Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UOP in November 2012.

Informal meet & greet with company engineer at career fair, applied online, phone interview, and then Chicago formal interview with a panel of 4 interviewers.
    It all took place in almost a month.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about UOP?
      Why do you want to join UOP?
      Give a moment where you had to work in a group?
      Other typical interview questions...

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UOP in October 2012.

The interview process was quite nice. Received a phone call from HR and was flown from my present location (IA) to Marriot in Des Plaines. A tour of the Pilot Plant was given at the Des Plaines location. Seems to be a great place for a chemical engineer to begin work upon graduation. People seemed professional and friendly. The interview was pretty average. Sat in front of 3 long-time employees. Be prepared to know and explain your resume inside and out.

Interview Questions
    • Written on my resume was a skill regarding my ability to work in a team, interface with others, etc. I was asked to explain/prove this.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UOP in April 2012.

I was initially contacted by phone by an HR representative who described the company and asked simple questions about my background. Then, they flew me out to their office about a week later. I was given presentation of company. My impression was that the employees seem to have opportunity to travel a lot. A panel of 3 interviewed me, questions primarily behavioral, e.g. how do you manage your time? what is your most difficult/favorite class? etc. Overall, they were very nice and made me feel comfortable.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UOP in October 2011.

The fly you to a hotel in Chicago NW suburbs. 1 or 2 engineers and 1 HR person will interview. They ask you typical questions:

-Where do you see yourself in X years?
    -What was the most difficult thing you've overcome?
    -Will you work long hours?
    etc.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, or questions about engineering/science.   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at UOP in February 2011.

I was referred to them through a colleague. I received an informal interview by phone to gauge my interest in the position. The following week had a more formal interview and was scheduled for an onsite interview. The onsite interview commenced with a short tour of the facility and then about an hour presentation in front of many members of the technical staff. Following in the presentation I had a hour and a half discussion with a panel of experts. The questions were difficult and they tried to probe what I did and didn't know. When I didn't know they tried to determine whether or not I could figure out the answer to a problem. Very fast paced, very technically oriented discussion. Following lunch, I was given a more comprehensive tour of the facility and then met with the hiring manager for an hour. The one-on-one seemed to probe personality and my wanted to determine how bad I really wanted to work there. After that had one final meeting with my soon-to-be boss and it was over. Almost exactly one week later I received a phone call asking me if I wanted to work with them. I happily accepted.

Interview Questions
    Awkward, simply because I am not good at negotiating. I would recommend that people be fully able to substantiate their requested salary to the hiring manager.

Career Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UOP in September 2008.

First day: Presentations on UOP by current Field Advisors, other UOP employees, and HF. Dinner with UOP employees/interviewers (part of the interview!)
    Second day: Three 1:1 interviews. Questions on past internships, coursework, and desire/ability to travel full time once in Field Operating Services.
    Offer received on the next day. Very efficient process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult decision you had to make as a leader.   Answer Question