UOP Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

2.9

Career Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UOP (Des Plaines, IL).

Interview

The initial interview was on campus, after signing up at my college's career fair. Then, all the prospective employees participated in a Fantastic Friday at a hotel near UOP's headquarters. During this time we heard presentations from various employees, got a tour of the facilities, and had a three on one interview at the hotel. They gave offers the next week.

Interview Questions

• Do you understand that 100% travel means you'll miss birthdays, weddings, and holidays with your family?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

I went to a career fair at my school and spoke the UOP people. Two were nice and friendly. However, the thrid one was the most terrible person I have ever met in my life. He was the manger of a research team and wanted to recruit people to his new team at Houston. He joked about my degree and said he would never hire someone with a Master degree. I totally understand that R&D is looking for PhDs but you shouldn't look down at people with Masters. We worked hard to earn it. He was just so arrogant and impolite. I at least should earn some respects from you as an individual even I probably was not a competitive candidate. I will never ever apply to UOP and will discourage my PhD friends to work for them. Yes, I do have PhD friends and they never think I am stupid.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

They intereviewed right after the career fair at my University. Then very next day, no online application or anything. Took my resume and scheduled in my time slot and everything. The interview itself wasn't very hard. A couple personal/behavior questions. They glanced over parts of my resume but I think we spent most of the time talking about the company itself. After that I was given an acceptance letter for their second round interviews within a week or two. Their second round interviews are on site so they had us travel to Des Plaines, Ill. They're very flexible with their travel arrangements as I had to cancel on the first group of second round interviews. You spend two days(Thursday and Friday) in Des Plaines. They call this second round interviews Fantastic Friday. It includes plant tours and social meeting with employees in the company The second round interviews are much harder with three groups interviewing. Usually each group is made of two or three people. The questions are very resume focused asking you a lot of technical questions about my resume. Still not a bad thing just gets tiring having to answer very similair questions each round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to be in 5-10 years. It's not a hard question but it's VERY important to them because of their business model.   1 Answer
    • How do you believe your work on your resume relates to the company and how can your expertise help the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really isn't a negotiation phase.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. I got the first round interview from a college career fair. They called me a few days later for a second round interview at their headquarters. It was a two day event and we were able to take a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite class? Least favorite? Explain a situation where you failed. Explain how you recovered.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

Phone screen was with a very pleasant and professional HR representative and lasted around 30 minutes. Got called in 2 weeks later for an in-person interview on site. Interview lasted 3 hours and consisted of a panel interview that lasted an hour with 3 employees, followed by 4 one-on-one interviews. Questions were very detail oriented into my past research experiences. Questions about attention to detail and safety were also very common.

Interview Questions

• What are some qualities in others that you find it easy to work with?   1 Answer

Interview

3 phone interviews then a day long onsite interview

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

Introduced self at college career fair. Invited for campus interview the next day (conversational). Invited for 1-day on-site interview, along with all other second round interview candidates.

Research & Development Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

I had one phone screen with the hiring manager, and a 3-hour in-person interview with 4 other managers. The interview was interactive and pleasant, followed by a tour of the laboratories and facilities. I have been asked general questions about my experience /background, and specific technical questions about my previous projects and contribution to previous employers.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UOP (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Very relaxed. There are two HR's who meet you in the cafe or another available location. Do not have any tests or behavioral questions. Everything is based on your resume. If you have a good resume, there is nothing to worry about. Just be yourself, be honest, and you will be fine.

R&D Tech Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UOP (Des Plaines, IL) in November 2012.

Interview

Informal meet & greet with company engineer at career fair, applied online, phone interview, and then Chicago formal interview with a panel of 4 interviewers. It all took place in almost a month.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about UOP? Why do you want to join UOP? Give a moment where you had to work in a group? Other typical interview questions...   Answer Question