UOP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Des Plaines, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UOP in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was quite nice. Received a phone call from HR and was flown from my present location (IA) to Marriot in Des Plaines. A tour of the Pilot Plant was given at the Des Plaines location. Seems to be a great place for a chemical engineer to begin work upon graduation. People seemed professional and friendly. The interview was pretty average. Sat in front of 3 long-time employees. Be prepared to know and explain your resume inside and out.

Interview Question – Written on my resume was a skill regarding my ability to work in a team, interface with others, etc. I was asked to explain/prove this.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior R&D Engineer/Scientist Interview

Senior R&D Engineer/Scientist
Des Plaines, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at UOP in April 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Application online
2. 90 min phone interview, all about research details
3. On-site interview:

The on-site interview was tough. Firstly did a technical presentation for 1 hr. Then group interview by 10 scientists, asking difficult questions. Then individual interview by some scientists.

Interview Question – Any details in the presentation can be asked and even if it is nothing related to what you do. Probably just a technical term and you need to know deeply.   Answer Question

Career Development Engineer Interview

Career Development Engineer
Des Plaines, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UOP in September 2008.

Interview Details – First day: Presentations on UOP by current Field Advisors, other UOP employees, and HF. Dinner with UOP employees/interviewers (part of the interview!)
Second day: Three 1:1 interviews. Questions on past internships, coursework, and desire/ability to travel full time once in Field Operating Services.
Offer received on the next day. Very efficient process.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult decision you had to make as a leader.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Des Plaines, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UOP in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by phone by an HR representative who described the company and asked simple questions about my background. Then, they flew me out to their office about a week later. I was given presentation of company. My impression was that the employees seem to have opportunity to travel a lot. A panel of 3 interviewed me, questions primarily behavioral, e.g. how do you manage your time? what is your most difficult/favorite class? etc. Overall, they were very nice and made me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

Very Difficult Interview

Technical Consultant Interview

Technical Consultant
Des Plaines, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at UOP in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was referred to them through a colleague. I received an informal interview by phone to gauge my interest in the position. The following week had a more formal interview and was scheduled for an onsite interview. The onsite interview commenced with a short tour of the facility and then about an hour presentation in front of many members of the technical staff. Following in the presentation I had a hour and a half discussion with a panel of experts. The questions were difficult and they tried to probe what I did and didn't know. When I didn't know they tried to determine whether or not I could figure out the answer to a problem. Very fast paced, very technically oriented discussion. Following lunch, I was given a more comprehensive tour of the facility and then met with the hiring manager for an hour. The one-on-one seemed to probe personality and my wanted to determine how bad I really wanted to work there. After that had one final meeting with my soon-to-be boss and it was over. Almost exactly one week later I received a phone call asking me if I wanted to work with them. I happily accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Awkward, simply because I am not good at negotiating. I would recommend that people be fully able to substantiate their requested salary to the hiring manager.

Student Services Interview

Student Services
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UOP in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed over the phone, then had a one to one interview with two different people. No call after that. Questions were about why I wanted to work there and what makes a good manager.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Chem Eng Summer Intern Interview

Chem Eng Summer Intern
Guildford, England (UK)

I interviewed at UOP in January 2014.

Interview Details – After completing initial applications, was asked to answer questions via email as to why I wanted to work for them, Why I was a better candidate compared to other and what do I see as my long term future with the company? After being successful in this step I was asked to interview at Guildford office. Interviewed by 3 different members of staff. Quite casual interview style.

Interview Question – Why should we choose you over other candidates?   Answer Question

Field Service Advisor, UOP IPL Interview

Field Service Advisor, UOP IPL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UOP.

Interview Details – WT followed by two interviews in campus. After screening 3 more interviews in Delhi Office

Interview Question – After 5 years where would like to see yourself   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We were fresher. No negotiations

Design Engineer II Interview

Design Engineer II
Guildford, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UOP in March 2011.

Interview Details – Had an interview in the office, with the department manager, the line manager and a HR person. Both managers focused on technical stuff, such as receiver pressure, diameter and cost of a distillation column. Found my previous experience, although not very relevant, quite useful for the position and the department in general. HR was mainly to explain the benefits and get hold of my ID etc.

Interview Question – How to go about setting the receiver pressure in a distillation column.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation on the salary took place in the interview, with HR.

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UOP.

Interview Details – I applied on my school website and i was called after a week for a phone interview which was the basic questions ''why UOP,worst class''.Then came the 2:1 interview 2weeks later.On that the day,about 20 students came for the interview process.We were given a presentation about UOP ,the tour on their plant and then the interview .The interview was behavioral questions and about your resume.So know everything on your resume and be ready to be extremely detailed when they ask you questions about your resume.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were able to adapt to a challenging task   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at UOP