UOP

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.1

Research & Development Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UOP.

I had one phone screen with the hiring manager, and a 3-hour in-person interview with 4 other managers. The interview was interactive and pleasant, followed by a tour of the laboratories and facilities. I have been asked general questions about my experience /background, and specific technical questions about my previous projects and contribution to previous employers.

Orocess Design Engineer Interview

Had an phone interview, went pretty well, asked mostly behavioral question, and from the resume. be prepared to answer anything from your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about visa sponsorship... and thats the reason why i was not hired   Answer Question

Senior R&D Engineer/Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at UOP in April 2013.

1. Application online
    2. 90 min phone interview, all about research details
    3. On-site interview:

The on-site interview was tough. Firstly did a technical presentation for 1 hr. Then group interview by 10 scientists, asking difficult questions. Then individual interview by some scientists.

Interview Questions
    • Any details in the presentation can be asked and even if it is nothing related to what you do. Probably just a technical term and you need to know deeply.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UOP in April 2013.

About two weeks after online application, I got an email to set up a phone interview in a week. This is a call from a hr person. She asked mostly standard behavior questions such as why do you want to work for UOP? What's your biggest achievement? Got rejection email about two weeks later.

R&D Tech Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UOP in November 2012.

Informal meet & greet with company engineer at career fair, applied online, phone interview, and then Chicago formal interview with a panel of 4 interviewers.
    It all took place in almost a month.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about UOP?
      Why do you want to join UOP?
      Give a moment where you had to work in a group?
      Other typical interview questions...

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UOP in October 2012.

The interview process was quite nice. Received a phone call from HR and was flown from my present location (IA) to Marriot in Des Plaines. A tour of the Pilot Plant was given at the Des Plaines location. Seems to be a great place for a chemical engineer to begin work upon graduation. People seemed professional and friendly. The interview was pretty average. Sat in front of 3 long-time employees. Be prepared to know and explain your resume inside and out.

Interview Questions
    • Written on my resume was a skill regarding my ability to work in a team, interface with others, etc. I was asked to explain/prove this.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UOP in April 2012.

I was initially contacted by phone by an HR representative who described the company and asked simple questions about my background. Then, they flew me out to their office about a week later. I was given presentation of company. My impression was that the employees seem to have opportunity to travel a lot. A panel of 3 interviewed me, questions primarily behavioral, e.g. how do you manage your time? what is your most difficult/favorite class? etc. Overall, they were very nice and made me feel comfortable.

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UOP in March 2012.

Applied Online at company's career website. Got a call from recruiter for a short 10 minute interview and expression of interest. Then got a call from hiring manager to discuss the job in a little more detail and few questions on the resume. Then got another conference call interview with business leader and engineering manager. Was notified of on site interview in this call and was assigned a business case study with around 2 weeks preparation time.

All day interviews with 8 people, individually and in groups. Had a HR generalist interview. had a technical interview with controls engineers and manager. Had a general interview where I presented my case study to the business leader and hiring manager. Finally had a technical and general interview with the VP.

The whole process was very encouraging and conducive. in their own words, they are gunning for the prospective candidate to succeed and show their best capability.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to present a business development model for controls and instrumentation offering package   Answer Question
    They asked for my expectations and I gave a wide range. They offered me a value right in the middle. It was still in accordance to industry averages.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UOP in October 2011.

The fly you to a hotel in Chicago NW suburbs. 1 or 2 engineers and 1 HR person will interview. They ask you typical questions:

-Where do you see yourself in X years?
    -What was the most difficult thing you've overcome?
    -Will you work long hours?
    etc.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, or questions about engineering/science.   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at UOP in February 2011.

I was referred to them through a colleague. I received an informal interview by phone to gauge my interest in the position. The following week had a more formal interview and was scheduled for an onsite interview. The onsite interview commenced with a short tour of the facility and then about an hour presentation in front of many members of the technical staff. Following in the presentation I had a hour and a half discussion with a panel of experts. The questions were difficult and they tried to probe what I did and didn't know. When I didn't know they tried to determine whether or not I could figure out the answer to a problem. Very fast paced, very technically oriented discussion. Following lunch, I was given a more comprehensive tour of the facility and then met with the hiring manager for an hour. The one-on-one seemed to probe personality and my wanted to determine how bad I really wanted to work there. After that had one final meeting with my soon-to-be boss and it was over. Almost exactly one week later I received a phone call asking me if I wanted to work with them. I happily accepted.

Interview Questions
    Awkward, simply because I am not good at negotiating. I would recommend that people be fully able to substantiate their requested salary to the hiring manager.