UPMC Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.6

Hospital Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

took a while to call after I filled out an online application. The interview was one on one. very straight to the point. normal interview discussed qualification, job details, and etc. HR called a week after the interview to let me know i got the job.

Interview Questions
    • give an example of a time you used exceptional customer service skills   Answer Question

Warehouser Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPMC.

The interview was very laid back with 2 people just asking some general questions about why you applied and your previous work experiences. No pressure whatsoever while the interview was being conducted. I wore a shirt and tie but it certainly was not a necessity after seeing what some others wore to their interviews and were offered jobs.

Patient Information Coordinator Interview

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

The Interview Process is VERY LONG.

1) You visit the UPMC careers website and submit an application to the Floater Pool for Patient Access Representatives. UPMC is always hiring patient access representativies (also called patient information coordinators) because people in this position tend to either get promoted after a year or two into a different role or leave the company all together.
    2) Two weeks later, someone from HR will call you and have a phone interview with you.
    3) If the phone interview goes well, you will then have a face-to-face interview with a supervisor for the Floater Pool.
    3) If the second interview goes well, UPMC will go ahead and try to find a placement site for you. During the next three or more weeks, you get numerous calls from different UPMC facilities asking to interview you. At this point, you need to pray that you get placed soon because all of the traveling and interview starts to get frustrating.

I went to three site interviews and I did very well. The only problem was I was over-qualified. I have a bachelor's degree with a lot of healthcare experience. People that take this job usually don't have bachelor's degree and don't have a lot of work experience. After the third interview, I was offered a great position at another healthcare company and I decided to not proceed with the Floater Pool.

I think this would be a great position for someone that is looking for an entry-level position at UPMC and doesn't have much work experience or education. From there, you would work your way up in the UPMC healthcare system and eventually become a supervisor, manager, etc.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Why do you want to work in healthcare?
      2) Do you have any hospital experience in scheduling patients and checking in/out patients?
      3) You already have a lot of work experience in healthcare. Why do you decided to apply for this position?
      4) Describe an instance in which you had to face a difficult patient or customer. How did you handle the situation?

Answer Question

Patient Information Coordinator (Float Pool) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at UPMC.

I applied in January 2013 and wasn't officially extended a position until late April 2013. Phone interview, as well as an online questionnaire, followed by in person interviews. Interviews were fairly easy, as was the questionnaire as long as you are a decent and honest person. Also, hiring is contingent on successful background check and UPMC administered drug test (dip-stick test at employee health). Dependent on position, you need state, FBI fingerprinting, and child abuse clearances (which you pay for out of your own pocket). In float pool, you will go to almost any UPMC facility (usually emergency departments or other departments that need a PIC) so be prepared to travel to East (in Monroeville) one day, to Cranberry the next.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle your most difficult customer/client/patient?   Answer Question
    No negotiation really.

TDC Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

One HR phone interview about experiences in coursework and extracurriculars. On site interview was a behavioral interview with a panel of executives that asked about relevant coursework and explained what my role would be.

Intern Interview

I had 3 interviews. The first time I went in I talked to one woman from HR, the second time was a panel of three HR reps, and the final interview was with the head of the HR department alone. The interviews were done over the course of 3 weeks and they let me know the next day that i had the job

Interview Questions
    • What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online – interviewed at UPMC.

While employees there were upbeat and positive, I personally was not impressed with the overall process. They expressed great interest with me. I was out of the country, returning on a Tuesday scheduled per their request for an interview Wednesday. I had to engage weeks later for any sort of feedback, reaching out for contact. Unengaging process, not respectful of time, made me not apply further.

PT Interview

received a phone call days after application submitted, set up interview, and was told during interview would not hear back for 2-3 weeks - got offered the job in about 1.5 weeks.

Clinician Interview

Fine, no major concerns, the questions were expected. The interview process went smoothly and it was timely. Human resources was good about the interview time and date. The location was easy to find. GPS did not get me lost as I had expected it to in the city and it sometimes does get me lost. This can get frustrating when you can;t find your interview.

Senior Product Manager, TDC Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

I was contacted because the recruiter found me on an internet job board site. I was unable to attend the interview open house he invited me to because of an injury. I was soon able to go onsite for an interview, but he stopped returning calls and emails. The job is still posted.

All that was really expected, was for him to be a professional and set expectations. I would have really enjoyed this work, but he didn't have the decency to just email me back with any explanation. It's called being a grown up, and a professional. And he's the one who came to me in the first place.

The experience has soured me on this company. I won't apply there for anything in the future.

Interview Questions
    • I would say that the lack of follow up was difficult and unexpected.   Answer Question