UPMC

Getting the Interview

49 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at UPMC.

Interview Details – I found out about the summer intern position through my college's Economics and Finance department. I know one of the upper-level managers there and asked him about the internship. He said it is a great stepping stone into the work world and to apply online for the process to begin. The online application was easy; having a good resume is a MUST because they had hundreds of students apply for the few positions and you need to stand out. I got a phone interview that went well, it was more of a "who are you" and "what can you bring to the table" than anything else. At the end of my phone interview, the woman asked if I would like to continue further in the process and come in for an in-person interview. I accepted and a couple weeks later went to the US Steel Building for the interview. It was panel style with 3 or 4 interviewers and me. Again, nothing scary, the interviewers smiled and were very considerate the entire interview. At the end of the week I got a call saying I received a spot as an intern.

Interview Question – Since a large part of this company is the doctors, you have to be good at explaining complex business terms to people who do not have expertise in this area. How would you describe the internet to a 5 year old?   Answer Question

Accounting Intern Interview

Interviewed at UPMC

Interview Details – I had an interview with 2 people: 1 is the hiring manager and 1 is a full time staff there. They asked me very basic questions

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPMC.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a friend that a position was open in Research, and applied. I was contacted about a week later, came in and had a panel interview with other employees, but no one that was already in the position that I was interviewing for. They asked me questions off of a list of questions the manager gave them.

Interview Question – What did you do in a situation where a patient wanted you to do something that was against policy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I spoke with an HR representative, and he told me the job was mine if I wanted it, and then told me what they were offering me, which was a complete insult, and lower than I was making in my current job. I told them another figure, and if they couldn't match that, that I would have to decline. I heard back from them the same day that they had accepted my offer.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and interviewed at UPMC.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted about 2 weeks later and asked to schedule a 30 min. phone interview. After a phone interview with one of the hiring decision makers I was asked to come in for an in person interview the next week. The in-person interview consisted of a one-on-one interview, and then a second 2-on-1 interview with the hiring manager and another colleague.

The interview was relatively straightforward and easy if you were prepared for standard project management questions and ready to answer your experience.

After the interview, I was contacted about 10 days later with an offer by the recruiter. I attempted to negotiate because the offer was on the low-side, but they were not open to negotiation, which I've commonly heard about UPMC.

Interview Question – If you were asked to do something on a technical project and what was asked to be done was not possible, what would you do? How would you communicate this back to management?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were unwilling to negotiate.

Finance Summer Associate Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UPMC in August 2013.

Interview Details – Met the recruiter at the campus career fair and she offered me a on campus interview the next day. After the first round I was invited for the 2nd round at their main office at Pittsburgh

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Set salary for the summer so no negotiation

Director Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at UPMC.

Interview Details – 1) Phone Screening.
2) In-person interview with a panel of multiple people (people from other depts that you'd work with; not your direct reports).
3) In-person interview with your boss + dotted-line boss

Interview Question – The usual behavioral questions + clarification questions for past experience   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimum negotiation. Stringent brackets/levels/ranges for each employment type so there isn't much room anyway.

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at UPMC in April 2012.

Interview Details – Not so bad. As pain-free as possible.

Interview Question – Unable to Answer   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UPMC in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview at Childrens went great. However, I did not hear anything about the job (and I was one of 2 individuals being considered) until very long time after the interview.

Interview Question – All questions were text book questions from all of the interview material online everywhere. Questions that do not even matter to the position.   Answer Question

Senior Contract Analyst Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UPMC.

Interview Details – Applied online. Contacted within two weeks. Interviewed the following week. Aside from the security guard who paged the manager when I arrived, I didn't have any contact with any other employees aside from the hiring manager. Interview was about two hours. Took about another week until I received a phone call with an offer.

Interview Question – About 25% related to my background and past experiences with the remaining 75% consisting of behavioral-type questions. Nothing unusual, difficult, or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just an initial offer over the phone and my counteroffer which was acceptable to the hiring manager.

Very Easy Interview

Environmental Services Aide Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPMC in August 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was done very well, made you feel comfortable. talked about the job duties then took a tour of the hospital and was shown empty rooms and how the rooms where cleaned. Once the tour was over the interviewer shook hands "said very nice to meet you we will be going over the apps." very nice interview.

Interview Question – Can't say there was one it was a very good smooth interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy!

Interviews for Top Jobs at UPMC

Worked for UPMC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UPMC interview questions and advice. All 49 interview reviews posted anonymously by UPMC employees and interview candidates.