UPMC

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.7

Intern Interview

I had 3 interviews. The first time I went in I talked to one woman from HR, the second time was a panel of three HR reps, and the final interview was with the head of the HR department alone. The interviews were done over the course of 3 weeks and they let me know the next day that i had the job

Interview Questions
    • What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online – interviewed at UPMC.

While employees there were upbeat and positive, I personally was not impressed with the overall process. They expressed great interest with me. I was out of the country, returning on a Tuesday scheduled per their request for an interview Wednesday. I had to engage weeks later for any sort of feedback, reaching out for contact. Unengaging process, not respectful of time, made me not apply further.

PT Interview

received a phone call days after application submitted, set up interview, and was told during interview would not hear back for 2-3 weeks - got offered the job in about 1.5 weeks.

Clinician Interview

Fine, no major concerns, the questions were expected. The interview process went smoothly and it was timely. Human resources was good about the interview time and date. The location was easy to find. GPS did not get me lost as I had expected it to in the city and it sometimes does get me lost. This can get frustrating when you can;t find your interview.

Senior Product Manager, TDC Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

I was contacted because the recruiter found me on an internet job board site. I was unable to attend the interview open house he invited me to because of an injury. I was soon able to go onsite for an interview, but he stopped returning calls and emails. The job is still posted.

All that was really expected, was for him to be a professional and set expectations. I would have really enjoyed this work, but he didn't have the decency to just email me back with any explanation. It's called being a grown up, and a professional. And he's the one who came to me in the first place.

The experience has soured me on this company. I won't apply there for anything in the future.

Interview Questions
    • I would say that the lack of follow up was difficult and unexpected.   Answer Question

Medical Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPMC.

you need to go on the company website to apply. they call and you come in for interview have your interview and then wait until human resources contact you if you get the job then you need to go through medical clearances and from there your hired

Research Associate Interview

Interviews were straight forward and efficient. No hard-ball questions. Enough time to ask questions. Hiring process was also efficient and smooth. They seem very organized and make sure to be in contact with the process of things if you call and question about anything.

Interview Questions
    • Hypothetical scenario queries. Tell about a time...questions.   Answer Question
    N/A

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

I applied for the job and was contacted approximately one month later. After getting contacted, they wanted to have a phone interview within that week. The phone interview was pretty basic and went over the details of my resume. After the phone interview, I waited another week until I was invited to an in-person interview. The interview only lasted about a half hour. The interviewers created a laid-back, comfortable environment and most questions were behavioral-based. Some were basic behavioral questions, but some were quite challenging and kept me on my toes.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you went against the grain and made an unpopular decision. How did people respond?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UPMC in May 2014.

Hiring event at the Technology Development Center. Interviews were a little odd. First round was a 10 minute "lightning round", from there they'd choose people to go to round 2. In the time between the two rounds, there were tours of the facility with some cool presentations on the work they're doing. I wasn't selected for round 2, but it wasn't the fact that I didn't advance that's leading to this negative review, it was my experience during the interview itself...

I'll skip around a bit and address the one positive point: The tour. It was really informative and the people conducting the demos were great. I had a good conversation with the guy who was running my tour and had the opportunity to talk about some of the things that they're working on related to both NLP and identifying gaps in services performed vs what was billed, we discussed how there appears to be an opportunity to tie the billing thing into supply chain. All in all, the tour was a definitely a positive experience.

As for the 10 minute interview, while I have no doubt that my not being selected for the second round was entirely on me, there were a few things that really bothered me about how it was conducted.

First, I'd overheard one of the interviewers talking to another about trying to be "more intimidating". I'd initially thought that they were kidding around, but both interviewers were relatively stone faced the entire time. I'm not sure if the intent is to see how candidates perform under pressure, but I think it's counterproductive. It is, after all, a candidate's first impression of potential coworkers or superiors. It made me think that all subsequent encounters would be more challenge and confrontation than collaboration.

Secondly, the two people conducting the interviews only introduced themselves after I did and when they did, only gave their first names. No titles or responsibilities. I knew of one based on my research of the TDC prior to going, but I don't like the idea of having to give a pitch without at least some context around the audience.

The third problem I had -- and this was really the most irritating -- was that about midway through, one of the interviewers picked up their phone and appeared to start casually flipping through texts, emails, or whatever. If you're only giving candidates ten minutes, give them the entire ten minutes. I'll concede that I'm probably not the most interesting person in the world (as I mentioned, both interviewers were expressionless throughout the time I was in the room), but if you've truly lost interest and don't want to proceed, don't just tune out, end the interview. I could respect that. I wouldn't like it, but I'd respect it.

After about an hour (during which time I went on the tour noted above) they announced the candidates who were selected for the next round. As I mentioned, I wasn't selected. There were some HR reps on hand to discuss other opportunities within UPMC for those folks like me who didn't move on. The recruiter I spoke with told me that there are quite a few openings where my background in big data, analytics, etc... would be beneficial, but I absolutely have no interest in pursuing any other jobs at UPMC.

In summary, the facility and the work that they're doing seem really great and appear to add real value, but based on those few minutes I spent in the interview, I've really soured on the UPMC brand. In fact, I'm so annoyed over that phone thing that I've been mulling over getting a different PCP outside of their system. I doubt I'll actually end up doing that, but let it serve to illustrate how utterly dissatisfied I am over the encounter: I do not want to be their customer anymore.

Interview Questions
    • It was more of an opportunity to sell yourself for ten minutes with a few leading questions. I tried to steer the conversation towards my experience in text mining but I wasn't able to work the room, so to speak.   Answer Question

Accounting Intern Interview

I had an interview with 2 people: 1 is the hiring manager and 1 is a full time staff there. They asked me very basic questions