UPMC

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.7

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

I applied for the job and was contacted approximately one month later. After getting contacted, they wanted to have a phone interview within that week. The phone interview was pretty basic and went over the details of my resume. After the phone interview, I waited another week until I was invited to an in-person interview. The interview only lasted about a half hour. The interviewers created a laid-back, comfortable environment and most questions were behavioral-based. Some were basic behavioral questions, but some were quite challenging and kept me on my toes.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you went against the grain and made an unpopular decision. How did people respond?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UPMC in May 2014.

Hiring event at the Technology Development Center. Interviews were a little odd. First round was a 10 minute "lightning round", from there they'd choose people to go to round 2. In the time between the two rounds, there were tours of the facility with some cool presentations on the work they're doing. I wasn't selected for round 2, but it wasn't the fact that I didn't advance that's leading to this negative review, it was my experience during the interview itself...

I'll skip around a bit and address the one positive point: The tour. It was really informative and the people conducting the demos were great. I had a good conversation with the guy who was running my tour and had the opportunity to talk about some of the things that they're working on related to both NLP and identifying gaps in services performed vs what was billed, we discussed how there appears to be an opportunity to tie the billing thing into supply chain. All in all, the tour was a definitely a positive experience.

As for the 10 minute interview, while I have no doubt that my not being selected for the second round was entirely on me, there were a few things that really bothered me about how it was conducted.

First, I'd overheard one of the interviewers talking to another about trying to be "more intimidating". I'd initially thought that they were kidding around, but both interviewers were relatively stone faced the entire time. I'm not sure if the intent is to see how candidates perform under pressure, but I think it's counterproductive. It is, after all, a candidate's first impression of potential coworkers or superiors. It made me think that all subsequent encounters would be more challenge and confrontation than collaboration.

Secondly, the two people conducting the interviews only introduced themselves after I did and when they did, only gave their first names. No titles or responsibilities. I knew of one based on my research of the TDC prior to going, but I don't like the idea of having to give a pitch without at least some context around the audience.

The third problem I had -- and this was really the most irritating -- was that about midway through, one of the interviewers picked up their phone and appeared to start casually flipping through texts, emails, or whatever. If you're only giving candidates ten minutes, give them the entire ten minutes. I'll concede that I'm probably not the most interesting person in the world (as I mentioned, both interviewers were expressionless throughout the time I was in the room), but if you've truly lost interest and don't want to proceed, don't just tune out, end the interview. I could respect that. I wouldn't like it, but I'd respect it.

After about an hour (during which time I went on the tour noted above) they announced the candidates who were selected for the next round. As I mentioned, I wasn't selected. There were some HR reps on hand to discuss other opportunities within UPMC for those folks like me who didn't move on. The recruiter I spoke with told me that there are quite a few openings where my background in big data, analytics, etc... would be beneficial, but I absolutely have no interest in pursuing any other jobs at UPMC.

In summary, the facility and the work that they're doing seem really great and appear to add real value, but based on those few minutes I spent in the interview, I've really soured on the UPMC brand. In fact, I'm so annoyed over that phone thing that I've been mulling over getting a different PCP outside of their system. I doubt I'll actually end up doing that, but let it serve to illustrate how utterly dissatisfied I am over the encounter: I do not want to be their customer anymore.

Interview Questions
    • It was more of an opportunity to sell yourself for ten minutes with a few leading questions. I tried to steer the conversation towards my experience in text mining but I wasn't able to work the room, so to speak.   Answer Question

Accounting Intern Interview

I had an interview with 2 people: 1 is the hiring manager and 1 is a full time staff there. They asked me very basic questions

Finance Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPMC.

I found out about the summer intern position through my college's Economics and Finance department. I know one of the upper-level managers there and asked him about the internship. He said it is a great stepping stone into the work world and to apply online for the process to begin. The online application was easy; having a good resume is a MUST because they had hundreds of students apply for the few positions and you need to stand out. I got a phone interview that went well, it was more of a "who are you" and "what can you bring to the table" than anything else. At the end of my phone interview, the woman asked if I would like to continue further in the process and come in for an in-person interview. I accepted and a couple weeks later went to the US Steel Building for the interview. It was panel style with 3 or 4 interviewers and me. Again, nothing scary, the interviewers smiled and were very considerate the entire interview. At the end of the week I got a call saying I received a spot as an intern.

Interview Questions
    • Since a large part of this company is the doctors, you have to be good at explaining complex business terms to people who do not have expertise in this area. How would you describe the internet to a 5 year old?   Answer Question

Media Relations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UPMC in April 2014.

I applied and was contacted for an interview about 2 weeks later. The interview went very well, it was well-organized and I met with a lot of intelligent, respectable women who work in the media relations department there. I had such a great experience, I thought an offer was surely around the corner, especially after signing off on a background check and other forms. I sent thank-you emails and waited to hear. And waited. And waited. And waited some more. About a month after hearing nothing, I followed up again (something I normally wouldn't do, but I had such a confident, positive experience/feeling about this job). Nothing. HR was pretty much useless for information, as they were behind the curve and didn't even know interviews had begun for this position yet, much less that they had passed weeks ago.

About 6 or 7 weeks after my interview, I finally got a response from two of the awesome ladies I was hoping to work for. They informed me the budget had been cut and that the position was on hold. I completely understand that things like this happen--I've seen it before--especially with PR/communications positions. But to be dangling like that for nearly two months after getting your hopes up was awful. I mean, lots of people have to use vacation time at their current jobs to come down and interview - why even bother if it's not set in stone? I just felt like someone could have followed up with me a lot sooner.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly difficult, the usual questions about what drew you to media relations, why you're looking for a job, can you do social media/power point, etc.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

I was contacted by a friend that a position was open in Research, and applied. I was contacted about a week later, came in and had a panel interview with other employees, but no one that was already in the position that I was interviewing for. They asked me questions off of a list of questions the manager gave them.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do in a situation where a patient wanted you to do something that was against policy?   Answer Question
    I spoke with an HR representative, and he told me the job was mine if I wanted it, and then told me what they were offering me, which was a complete insult, and lower than I was making in my current job. I told them another figure, and if they couldn't match that, that I would have to decline. I heard back from them the same day that they had accepted my offer.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPMC.

I applied online and was contacted about 2 weeks later and asked to schedule a 30 min. phone interview. After a phone interview with one of the hiring decision makers I was asked to come in for an in person interview the next week. The in-person interview consisted of a one-on-one interview, and then a second 2-on-1 interview with the hiring manager and another colleague.

The interview was relatively straightforward and easy if you were prepared for standard project management questions and ready to answer your experience.

After the interview, I was contacted about 10 days later with an offer by the recruiter. I attempted to negotiate because the offer was on the low-side, but they were not open to negotiation, which I've commonly heard about UPMC.

Interview Questions
    • If you were asked to do something on a technical project and what was asked to be done was not possible, what would you do? How would you communicate this back to management?   Answer Question
    They were unwilling to negotiate.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

1) Phone Screening.
    2) In-person interview with a panel of multiple people (people from other depts that you'd work with; not your direct reports).
    3) In-person interview with your boss + dotted-line boss

Interview Questions
    • The usual behavioral questions + clarification questions for past experience   View Answer
    Minimum negotiation. Stringent brackets/levels/ranges for each employment type so there isn't much room anyway.

Referral Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UPMC in January 2014.

I was contacted by Talent Acquisition and offered an interview after having applied for a different job. I met with two people at once. One was a department supervisor, and the other was from Human Resources. What I did not know is that there is apparently a LOT of turnover in this department.

Interview Questions
    • What problems have you encountered at work & how did you deal with it?   View Answer
    None. The offer was presented as take it or leave it.

Senior Contract Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UPMC.

Applied online. Contacted within two weeks. Interviewed the following week. Aside from the security guard who paged the manager when I arrived, I didn't have any contact with any other employees aside from the hiring manager. Interview was about two hours. Took about another week until I received a phone call with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • About 25% related to my background and past experiences with the remaining 75% consisting of behavioral-type questions. Nothing unusual, difficult, or unexpected.   Answer Question
    Just an initial offer over the phone and my counteroffer which was acceptable to the hiring manager.