UPS

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part-time Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acworth, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acworth, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Applied Online. Received a call to come in for a tour of the facility. I arrived 10-15 minutes before the tour and one of the employees showed me and another guy around, and explained the position. It seemed as if they were trying to scare us with the amount of work/lifting required. I was told I would be called within the next two weeks for an interview.

The following week I was called in for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes before my interview time and there were four other men there for interviews. Some interviews took longer than others. When I went in, the interviewer told me she's looking at my address and a different location is closer to my house. I explained that I applied to the other position, but had not heard anything from them. She essentially told me they have a lot of applicants and I need to wait. She did not ask me any interview questions, she based her decision solely on my address. The other location is actually 5-7 minutes shorter of a commute, so I didn't understand the big deal. Furthermore, they had my address before I came in for both the tour and the interview, so they could have made that decision without me being present.

Interview Questions
    • I was only asked to confirm my address.   View Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at UPS.

Starts of normally: phone interview, first on site interview with a few people from the team or related teams (boss, co-workers, lead of a team your team works with often). Be prepared to be able to answer technical questions at this point. Have a good answer for why you want to work at UPS specifically. The next in person interview is tough as you will have to go through multiple tests including a test to see if you're management material and an exercise with multiple people. This is the HR part of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part is getting to the second interview. It will not be in the same location as the first one but you will not be given the address. This is deliberate. You will be told you'll receive an address with driving instructions via email but they don't send it. They most you will get is some hastily rattled off directions to the location. (I know it is deliberate because I know other applicants who were all told they'd get an email and didn't.)   View Answer

Senior Technology Supt Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Applied on-line (as all companies now require). Was contacted by their internal recruiter who inquired about my availability, why i left previous position, and salary requirements. I was very up front and clear about salary. He called next day to setup a phone screen with technical people in the department a few days hence. They fired a succession of technical Unix, Windows and troubleshooting scenarios at me. Seemed to go well, they seemed pleased with the answers.

Recruiter called the next day, related that the tech interview went well, and they would like me to come in for an in person interview with those same tech people plus the hiring manager. Techs mainly sat and observerd while I had a very wide-ranging, conversational interview with the manager. We discussed future projects, challenges, the team, what my role would be, geographic location of the team and other company stake-holders. They need a senior player to design and implement significant enterprise critical systems. In the end, it seemed more like we weren't interviewing anymore, we were planning on how to get started. Excellent feeling on both sides coming out of the interview. Manager took me on a brief tour of the floor, then recruiter took over, took me on a tour of the whole facility, which is beautiful, BTW. Then he debriefed me on how I felt about the interview which I related very positively.

Next day, recruiter called, they would like to extend an offer. Great! Their method is to present the offer in person and give a full briefing on all compensation and benefits so that all questions can be answered. Cool - none of this "go look at our website and figure it out for yourself" nonsense. So I drove back again, and listened through an hour long, pretty standard for a top tier company, benefits presentation nothing tricky there. Then saw *part* of a video explaining their rather complex bonus structure. Nothing I could study and digest, mind you. Then after all of that they brought out the actual offer. $20K below my stated salary requirement. I kept the poker face, but though . . . . WTH!

Basically they decided to interpret *salary* as "total compensation" But the 20K difference is made up of bonus in various forms (which are all dependent on company performance, and management declarable "fudge factor" not under my control) and stock purchase discounts (which are not vested for three years) So the plus-up is structured to maybe not happen and isn't even liquid. To me _salary_ is just that. Any bonus that may (or might NOT happen) I treat purely as gravy -- but not to be depended upon.

So I thought it over, and next day called the recruiter and politely declined. I explained why and we parted on courteous terms.

In hind sight, it seems to me they new the offer was a low-ball hence the long build up FIRST before presenting me with the offer. I would still like to work at UPS, but I'll be paid what I'm worth.

Interview Questions
    • It was not an ambush type of interview. They checked me out technically, first -- normal questions for a senior technologist. I guess most "difficult" was my troubleshooting process. I verbally laid out every step one takes to TS a hypothetical web-application failure scenario. There are a lot of pieces that can cause an web app to be "down" (even when it's really not) But being hypothetical, and not knowing all of the moving parts of the application, answer got perhaps rather lengthy. But better to be thorough (and demonstrate deep problem solving skills) than too casual.   Answer Question

Offer was 20K below my stated salary requirements.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UPS in November 2013.

very fast and efficient. Everyone is very nice.

Interview Questions
    • case: how do you estimate the market of light bulb of a certain country.   Answer Question

Shipping Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UPS.

Applied online, in a week got a phone interview. Interview process was smooth, got the second call as an invitation to site. Site interview was great, no pressure at all.

Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UPS in August 2013.

two interviews; first with hiring Director and second with Director and VP

Interview Questions
    • Most were background experience and behavioral type questions   Answer Question
    none

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UPS in March 2013.

Applied through my college. Got a email to an in-person interview. It was a bit of a pain to sign in, including having to take a picture and get a badge. Employees were nice and receptive

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at UPS in March 2013.

An external recruiter was involved for this potential contract job. The initial phone screen was meant to be done by the hiring manager.

However, they did not call at the appointed time for the interview screening. I had to call my recruiter to find out what was going on. The recruiter called back and said that one of their technical leads was supposed to call for the hiring manager as he was in a meeting. So, the guy had forgotten to call me.

It became apparent that he hadn't really prepared any questions based off my resume. The other problem is that the interviewer had a heavy Indian accent that was hard to follow at times. During the course of the phone screening, I became less and less impressed with not only the type of work but also just how far behind they are versus other companies. For .Net, they are still on 2.0 trying to get to 3.5 when as of typing this 4.5 framework is out...

My recruiter still wanted to get me in to a face to face interview. I wasn't enthused and sort of forgot and I never heard back from UPS. UPS from all appearances, has major issues with getting and retaining technical people. Almost every week, I'm hearing of a contract job coming up for them. My advice is to really avoid them unless you are just desperate.

Interview Questions
    • I think we talked about object oriented programming during the course of the interview. The technical lead couldn't follow what I was describing...   Answer Question

UPS Loader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UPS in October 2012.

Filled out a online app and got the call a week later.

there were none

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

interviewed at UPS in August 2012.

gReat no complaints

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle employee who comes in late everyday   Answer Question
    great