UPS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Part-time Package Handler Interview

Part-time Package Handler
Acworth, GA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online. Received a call to come in for a tour of the facility. I arrived 10-15 minutes before the tour and one of the employees showed me and another guy around, and explained the position. It seemed as if they were trying to scare us with the amount of work/lifting required. I was told I would be called within the next two weeks for an interview.

The following week I was called in for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes before my interview time and there were four other men there for interviews. Some interviews took longer than others. When I went in, the interviewer told me she's looking at my address and a different location is closer to my house. I explained that I applied to the other position, but had not heard anything from them. She essentially told me they have a lot of applicants and I need to wait. She did not ask me any interview questions, she based her decision solely on my address. The other location is actually 5-7 minutes shorter of a commute, so I didn't understand the big deal. Furthermore, they had my address before I came in for both the tour and the interview, so they could have made that decision without me being present.

Interview Question – I was only asked to confirm my address.   View Answer

Senior Technology Supt Analyst Interview

Senior Technology Supt Analyst
Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on-line (as all companies now require). Was contacted by their internal recruiter who inquired about my availability, why i left previous position, and salary requirements. I was very up front and clear about salary. He called next day to setup a phone screen with technical people in the department a few days hence. They fired a succession of technical Unix, Windows and troubleshooting scenarios at me. Seemed to go well, they seemed pleased with the answers.

Recruiter called the next day, related that the tech interview went well, and they would like me to come in for an in person interview with those same tech people plus the hiring manager. Techs mainly sat and observerd while I had a very wide-ranging, conversational interview with the manager. We discussed future projects, challenges, the team, what my role would be, geographic location of the team and other company stake-holders. They need a senior player to design and implement significant enterprise critical systems. In the end, it seemed more like we weren't interviewing anymore, we were planning on how to get started. Excellent feeling on both sides coming out of the interview. Manager took me on a brief tour of the floor, then recruiter took over, took me on a tour of the whole facility, which is beautiful, BTW. Then he debriefed me on how I felt about the interview which I related very positively.

Next day, recruiter called, they would like to extend an offer. Great! Their method is to present the offer in person and give a full briefing on all compensation and benefits so that all questions can be answered. Cool - none of this "go look at our website and figure it out for yourself" nonsense. So I drove back again, and listened through an hour long, pretty standard for a top tier company, benefits presentation nothing tricky there. Then saw *part* of a video explaining their rather complex bonus structure. Nothing I could study and digest, mind you. Then after all of that they brought out the actual offer. $20K below my stated salary requirement. I kept the poker face, but though . . . . WTH!

Basically they decided to interpret *salary* as "total compensation" But the 20K difference is made up of bonus in various forms (which are all dependent on company performance, and management declarable "fudge factor" not under my control) and stock purchase discounts (which are not vested for three years) So the plus-up is structured to maybe not happen and isn't even liquid. To me _salary_ is just that. Any bonus that may (or might NOT happen) I treat purely as gravy -- but not to be depended upon.

So I thought it over, and next day called the recruiter and politely declined. I explained why and we parted on courteous terms.

In hind sight, it seems to me they new the offer was a low-ball hence the long build up FIRST before presenting me with the offer. I would still like to work at UPS, but I'll be paid what I'm worth.

Interview Question – It was not an ambush type of interview. They checked me out technically, first -- normal questions for a senior technologist. I guess most "difficult" was my troubleshooting process. I verbally laid out every step one takes to TS a hypothetical web-application failure scenario. There are a lot of pieces that can cause an web app to be "down" (even when it's really not) But being hypothetical, and not knowing all of the moving parts of the application, answer got perhaps rather lengthy. But better to be thorough (and demonstrate deep problem solving skills) than too casual.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was 20K below my stated salary requirements.

Pre-loader Interview

Pre-loader
Carrollton, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in July 2011.

Interview Details – I absolutely would not have recieved this job if it were not for knowing someone from the inside. I suggest you do this. The rest is simply waiting on the call and then further direction, which you must be prepared to act upon with energy, diligence, and without hesitation.

Negotiation Details – I was offered a job because an employee at that time recommended me.

Very Difficult Interview

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and interviewed at UPS.

Interview Details – Starts of normally: phone interview, first on site interview with a few people from the team or related teams (boss, co-workers, lead of a team your team works with often). Be prepared to be able to answer technical questions at this point. Have a good answer for why you want to work at UPS specifically. The next in person interview is tough as you will have to go through multiple tests including a test to see if you're management material and an exercise with multiple people. This is the HR part of the interview.

Interview Question – The most difficult part is getting to the second interview. It will not be in the same location as the first one but you will not be given the address. This is deliberate. You will be told you'll receive an address with driving instructions via email but they don't send it. They most you will get is some hastily rattled off directions to the location. (I know it is deliberate because I know other applicants who were all told they'd get an email and didn't.)   View Answer

Strategy Interview

Strategy
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UPS in August 2013.

Interview Details – two interviews; first with hiring Director and second with Director and VP

Interview Question – Most were background experience and behavioral type questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Intern Interview

Intern
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UPS in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through my college. Got a email to an in-person interview. It was a bit of a pain to sign in, including having to take a picture and get a badge. Employees were nice and receptive

Interview Question – Questions about Microsoft Access   Answer Question

Sponsorships Interview

Sponsorships
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS in June 2010.

Interview Details – Went through a hiring vendor/recruiting company after networking to identify the opportunity. Two rounds of interviews before being hired into a contract capacity.

Interview Question – Talking about greatest strengths.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Limited.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Senior Administrative Assistant
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UPS in July 2011.

Interview Details – I received a screen call early in the year and then I received a follow up call for a one on one interview. The third interview was later in the week after my first interview. All the interviews were easy basically verifying my credentials and work history and qualifications.

Interview Question – What do you expect to gain from this position if we make you an offer? (in regards to your career)   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UPS in November 2013.

Interview Details – very fast and efficient. Everyone is very nice.

Interview Question – case: how do you estimate the market of light bulb of a certain country.   Answer Question

Shipping Technician Interview

Shipping Technician
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UPS.

Interview Details – Applied online, in a week got a phone interview. Interview process was smooth, got the second call as an invitation to site. Site interview was great, no pressure at all.

Interview Question – Tell us about your weakness   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at UPS

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!

UPS Videos

UPS – Why Work for Us?

As a global leader in package delivery and supply chain solutions, UPS is passionate about innovating new ways to make business work better, from complex international distribution networks to local business deliveries… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UPS interview questions and advice in Atlanta, GA. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by UPS employees and interview candidates.