UPS Freight Interview Questions

2.0

Dock Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rialto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rialto, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at UPS Freight.

Was given a call for interview then came in and was only asked 2 question.. Called back and hired 1 week later I accepted the job and the job is union so it has a set pay and a set raise of 50 cents every 6 months.

No negotiation. It is union

Freight Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I applied online – interviewed at UPS Freight in October 2014.

Very informal. Showed around facility, promised a phone call back within 4 days. Was told the pay was $55-58k, salaried position and probably required to work overtime. Hours were 2am to 11am.

Operations Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UPS Freight in September 2014.

Arrived 10 minutes early to interview, the manager I was supposed to meet with was called into an emergency meeting (it happens) so I was interviewed by an on call supervisor. As far as interviews go, this one was very laid back and comfortable, he took a few moments to review my resume so he was up to speed with my experience. Once he was familiar with my work history he asked me to elaborate on my customer service experience, mainly on call volume and how I resolved issues with customers. When asked if I had any questions for him I inquired when the hiring decision was expected to be made and when they would like the new hire to start. The interview lasted about 10 minutes give or take.

Interview Questions
    • What type of customer service experience do you have? (i.e. over the phone or face to face)   Answer Question

Loader Interview

It was a very easy interview. They reviewed the resume and expanded on that. I have not been as relaxed in any other interview. They asked basic questions on what you could contribute to the company.I would apply with them again if I did not get the job because I would just have to figure out what was missing. I am waiting now

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS Freight.

Multiple interviews with SCM and HR team, had to take Personality and IQ type of test(s). I received a call back and had a phone interview with an off site Regional Sales Manager and had to create a presentation for all that interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation was the most challenging part of the interview(s).   View Answer
    all that I expected to get was given.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at UPS Freight.

It was a very easy interview process. Met with the Area Sales Manager over lunch and it was more of him asking me about myself. Didn't really get into sales achievements or successes. After this step was an interview with the local terminal manager and that was him telling me about the operations and how it worked. Again, not too many sales type questions. Lastly, an interview with the Regional Sales Director and this is where he asked a lot of the typical interview questions. What would we hire you? Tell me about a time...etc.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. It was take it or we will hire someone else.

City Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UPS Freight.

simple just like any trucking job

none

Freight Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UPS Freight.

Long and drawn out, approximately a month long process. Multiple interviews with multiple members of management. Company expects you to provide W-2's from previous employers. Do not accept first offer.....this is a negotiation.

Interview Questions
    • Mor open ended questions....."tell me about a time when......."   Answer Question
    They try to take the Hard Line approach......do not take the first offer

Operations Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Reading, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UPS Freight in September 2013.

I applied on line after seeing a part-time position posted on indeed.com. Five days later I received a call, inquiring if I was still interested and letting me know the job was now full time, a union position, and since the job merged 2 part-time positions of different shifts, the starting shift would be an odd 7 PM - 3 AM, at least for a few months. I could deal with that for a few months. As I had read what wonderful benefits the company had and as it was a union position, which I felt insured a good wage and working conditions, I intereviewed 3 days after the initial contact.
    I interviewed with a young man with HR, who traveled from site to site. He was pleasant and described the job function, reiterated it was a union position, and inquired about my work style, i.e., do I need to be supervised or can I work independently? He was upfront about the benefits, which would not begin until after a year, with the exception of healthcare which could kick in after 3 months (or 45 punches according to union rules). That is what surprised me: no accrued vacation time, no paid holidays, (no shift differential ever), for the first year. Having had a brief tour of the office, and this was an office position, I thought okay, maybe in addition to the odd shift and now delayed benefits, I could live with this, after all, it was a permanent position with UPS.
    Then I met the manager, an older gentleman, who pulled no punches about the job. It's union with a hefty initiation fee and monthy dues equivalent to 2.5 hours of pay. Five vacation days after 1 year and 3 discretionary days. From years 2-6, 10 vacation days. The pay went from $14/hr to $15/hr after 90 days and would cap at $18/hr after four years. Again, no shift differential. Then as if he really wanted to paint the job a misery, he explained I would work in a "Dock shack" on the loading dock (not the offices I was shown by the HR person), this shack had no heat or air conditioning or desk for that matter. It had a counter top and stool and in the winter, space heaters. He explained it wasn't efficient for the drivers to walk their paperwork into the office. I recall saying I would need a chair. I should have asked to see the "shack" but I really was convinced he just wanted to paint the worst picture possible. I also was floored that a union would consider the "shack" condtions acceptable. Additionally, he felt compelled to tell me I would be surrounded with 18-19 year olds as if to add to the chaotic atmosphere.
    I left the interview (about 45 minutes total) feeling this company was different than the one I read about, the one with great benefits and life/work balance. I felt the pay scale to be less than competitive, the culture to be male dominated and a bit condescending towards women, and the benefits, especially vacation time to be from the dark ages.
    Two days later I sent the HR person an e-mail asking to be withdrawn from consideration for the position because of the working conditions as described by the manager, not the odd shift which had limited the pool of candidates. HR did not respond to my e-mail.

Interview Questions
    • Can I work in a "shack" on the loading dock with no heat or air conditioning?   View Answer

Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UPS Freight in July 2013.

Contacted immediatly for interview on line. Meeting with terminal manager next day. Questions were easy. Then you do a road test and if you pass they send you down for a drug test and medical certification. Wait for results and then the interviewer will contact you for a start date.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation for wages or benefits.