UPS Inside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

3.1

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS in April 2015.

Interview

The Process was relatively easy Apply online, Phone interview- Background questions and position overview, Personality Screening, Final Interview- they asked customer situational questions, time management questions. for every question they wanted you to state the situation then the problem and finally how it was resolved.

Interview Questions

• Tell us time when you experienced an unhappy customer and you did not know the problem?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N?A

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UPS (San Antonio, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of two representatives from the UPS. Hiring manager and HR manager. Consisted of behavioral questions on how you have handled a customer. Mostly customer based questions. The interviewers were very professional and it was easy to hold a conversation with them. I would have taken the offer if a better opportunity did not arise. Great company to work for from what I have heard and a great entry level opportunity for a sales career.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with an angry customer and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Better job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UPS (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was fairly simple.
    3 steps
    It started with a phone call going over your resume, then an assessment test, and if you pass those two there is a final Panal interview.

The only negative I would say is they took a long time to contact me after the final interview.

Overall a good experience

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for UPS?

Situational questions about your past jobs?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Emailed to set up phone interview with a corporate recruiter who will inform you the pay is 17.00 per hr during the first 6 weeks sales academy training. After completing the training program, the base will go up to 17.20per hr plus commission plus full benefits.
    2.During the phone interview he/she asks standard questions such as, "Why did you apply at UPS?" and, "Why would you be a good match for this company?"
    3. Once the phone interview is done you are required to complete a few online assessments including a behavioral test.
    4. Once that is concluded and UPS determines you have passed the HR department will contact you to set up a Web-cam Interview.
    5. If you have successfully passed the interview you will be given the opportunity to accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to help a fellow employee reach their goals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at UPS (San Antonio, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call two weeks later. Schedule a phone interview for the next day. After the interview, I was invited to take a 45 minute
    UPS assessment online immediately after the interview. I received a phone call approximately 30 minutes after the timed assessment with the advisement that I had passed and to expect a final interview with a panel over the phone. This was a week ago. Still waiting on that email.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UPS in August 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume online and received an email to schedule a telephone interview. Telephone interview was the basics, tell me about your last job and why you're leaving, what kind of experience do you have, etc.
    After phone interview, I was sent over a few online assessment tests to fill out. About 2 weeks later, I received a phone call inviting me to a panel interview.
    Panel Interview consisted of 2 person team (HR and Sales Manager) tag teaming questions at me. Questions come from a pre-prepared list of questions. They have 3 different laminated pages, with about 5 - 7 questions on each sheet...and they will randomly select 2 questions from each sheet.

Interview Questions

• There was one question that really didn't apply to me or my background, and I let them know that I really didn't have an answer for it since it didn't apply. It was as if I had thrown off their entire interview process and couldn't move forward unless I made something up.   1 Answer

Was interviewing with multiple companies at the time. UPS took 6 weeks to call with a formal offer and I had already accepted something with a higher salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UPS (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

There was a basic initial 15 minutes phone interview that consisted of typical interview questions such as "Why do you want to go into sales?" and "Explain to me a time when you dealt with an angry customer" If you are good with talking to people this should not be a problem.

Next there was an assessment that took and hour and a half or so. There was some reasoning based questions as well as some sales behavioral questions.

Lastly, was a webcam interview that lasts an hour. Most of the questions ask how you deal with customers in different settings and why do you want to work for UPS.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you dealt with an angry customer and the problem did not get resolved.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

It's a bit intimidating because you are taken in front of a panel of three. You will sit across the table from them while they take turns asking you scenario related questions. They will not respond but rather take notes and stay quiet. The questions are typical "Tell me how you dealt with this situation before.." So if you have relatable situations already in mind, you're good to go.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time where you were NOT able to overcome a hard situation."   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UPS (San Antonio, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Hiring process was fairly quick and seamless to go through which was the best part overall. I applied online 02/05/14 for Inside Sales positions that involved relocation out of state, 4 total I applied. The next day I received an email from a UPS recruiter wanting to setup an initial phone interview. For those of you who are new to or don't know the process this is basically a pre-screen phone call to to do a verbal greet, ask a few interview questions and tell you a little about the job.

Phase 1 Phone Questions
    The questions that were asked: "Can you tell me a little about yourself?","Have you ever been in a sales role?", "Have you ever faced an objection in a sale, and how did you overcome them?", "What's your most outstanding accomplishment you have had at work?" Answer those the best to your ability, and you should be fine. FOOD FOR THOUGHT..... They just want to see how you handle a phone interaction, how you respond to questions, and answer them confidently. If you can not perform this over the phone you will definitely not have the skills needed to perform this job bc that's all you will be doing is communicating over the phone to close business.
    From there they will get into the details about the job, and will ask you are you ok with relocating (*keep in mind you are on your own financially with the move, but you can write this off on your tax and get all of that back when you go to file for the next year, not a lot of people know that ***KEEP ALL RECEIPTS FOR THE MOVE****) if chosen before he/she hangs up they will send you a link for an assessment exam to take.

Phase 2 Online Assessment
    I'm someone that has went through hundreds of these and I'm fairly quick and efficient with these exams. The exam is slated for 75 mins with only a couple of segments that are timed. This exam is made of first of all NO MATH the segments are interpersonal questions (easy), and the second deductive reasoning. EXAMPLE: If Tom gets on a train for at 9:00am, Sara gets on before Tom, and Mike gets on at 11:30am. If David gets on at 10:00am, who is the 3rd to get on the train? (I made that up but they look exactly like that in diff scenarios) This segment is TIMED and can be tricky. Again this exam is to weed candidates out, alot of highly qualified people can be crossed out bc of this exam but I get why they do it mainly to get the numbers down. Dumb but necessary.....

Phase 3 Phone call and interview schedule
    7 Days passed after I took my exam (they wait for all of the candidates scores to come in) I get a phone call from the recruiter to set up a webcam interview, took 2 days from there.

Phase 4 Webcam interview
    Webcam interview was pretty cool, a first for me and actually made me more relaxed. I knew once I made it to this portion I was extremely confident I would get the position because I have a knack for performing well in interviews. You do the interview in your own home or controlled environment, YOU HAVE TO DRESS UP, and need earphones with a microphone in it. There were 2 nice ladies involved
    Questions: "Tell me a little about yourself", "Describe a time you had with a customer who was very vague in detail with what they wanted how did you go about the interaction, and getting what they needed" "Describe a time you had an issue with a customer you could not resolve, how did you react, and what was the outcome" & "Why are you interested in this position" Just answer with complete utter confidence, be detailed but not long and you will be fine.....

Phase 5 THE CALL
    I was told it would take days for a response but luckily I got a call about 6 hours later same day, asking to setup another phone call the next morning to "talk further about the position". From there I felt good that I would get the offer. Got the call next morning, got the offer, and they sent over a welcome packet along with the job offer to go over. From applying online, to the interviews/testing, to the move, to your first day of work takes place in less than a month literally, so be prepared that's extremely fast. Luckily I have no kids, no wife, one job to leave, in my mid 20's, and independent so I can just pick up and go but that's obviously not the case for a lot of people.

Sorry for the length I did alot of research before getting into this job and applying and nobody ever gave a step by step detail of the process, just cliff notes. This helps you at least see the process I went through, though others may have a different experience especially with turn around time, I was just lucky.

Interview Questions

• Deductive reasoning *Timed* have to balance the question and minutes used on each   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO NEGOTIATIONS this job is slated at 17.01HR plus quarterly bonus incentive on commission closed. I estimate you make 38-low 40's for the year def sounds fair.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UPS (San Antonio, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online and few days later conducted the phone interview. It was about 20minutes long, very easy, and simple. However, when I did the interview it was in August and new training class begin next month September 9th.

Interview Questions

• Asked Tell me about yourself, experience with sales position, how do you handle a buyer obligation and price concern from customer   Answer Question

They expect you to relocate less than 30days to start the new training class. Also their starting salary is $16.85hr for the first six weeks of training then increase to $17.05hr with basically a base salary of $35,464. Commission is quarterly but no cap and during the first three months commission is paid by the company of a total of $2,050 ($750 month).