UPS Inside Sales Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UPS.

There was a basic initial 15 minutes phone interview that consisted of typical interview questions such as "Why do you want to go into sales?" and "Explain to me a time when you dealt with an angry customer" If you are good with talking to people this should not be a problem.

Next there was an assessment that took and hour and a half or so. There was some reasoning based questions as well as some sales behavioral questions.

Lastly, was a webcam interview that lasts an hour. Most of the questions ask how you deal with customers in different settings and why do you want to work for UPS.

Interview Questions
  • Explain a time when you dealt with an angry customer and the problem did not get resolved.   Answer Question
Non-negotiable.

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Inside Sales Representative Interview

It's a bit intimidating because you are taken in front of a panel of three. You will sit across the table from them while they take turns asking you scenario related questions. They will not respond but rather take notes and stay quiet. The questions are typical "Tell me how you dealt with this situation before.." So if you have relatable situations already in mind, you're good to go.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me a time where you were NOT able to overcome a hard situation."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UPS in February 2014.

Hiring process was fairly quick and seamless to go through which was the best part overall. I applied online 02/05/14 for Inside Sales positions that involved relocation out of state, 4 total I applied. The next day I received an email from a UPS recruiter wanting to setup an initial phone interview. For those of you who are new to or don't know the process this is basically a pre-screen phone call to to do a verbal greet, ask a few interview questions and tell you a little about the job.

Phase 1 Phone Questions
    The questions that were asked: "Can you tell me a little about yourself?","Have you ever been in a sales role?", "Have you ever faced an objection in a sale, and how did you overcome them?", "What's your most outstanding accomplishment you have had at work?" Answer those the best to your ability, and you should be fine. FOOD FOR THOUGHT..... They just want to see how you handle a phone interaction, how you respond to questions, and answer them confidently. If you can not perform this over the phone you will definitely not have the skills needed to perform this job bc that's all you will be doing is communicating over the phone to close business.
    From there they will get into the details about the job, and will ask you are you ok with relocating (*keep in mind you are on your own financially with the move, but you can write this off on your tax and get all of that back when you go to file for the next year, not a lot of people know that ***KEEP ALL RECEIPTS FOR THE MOVE****) if chosen before he/she hangs up they will send you a link for an assessment exam to take.

Phase 2 Online Assessment
    I'm someone that has went through hundreds of these and I'm fairly quick and efficient with these exams. The exam is slated for 75 mins with only a couple of segments that are timed. This exam is made of first of all NO MATH the segments are interpersonal questions (easy), and the second deductive reasoning. EXAMPLE: If Tom gets on a train for at 9:00am, Sara gets on before Tom, and Mike gets on at 11:30am. If David gets on at 10:00am, who is the 3rd to get on the train? (I made that up but they look exactly like that in diff scenarios) This segment is TIMED and can be tricky. Again this exam is to weed candidates out, alot of highly qualified people can be crossed out bc of this exam but I get why they do it mainly to get the numbers down. Dumb but necessary.....

Phase 3 Phone call and interview schedule
    7 Days passed after I took my exam (they wait for all of the candidates scores to come in) I get a phone call from the recruiter to set up a webcam interview, took 2 days from there.

Phase 4 Webcam interview
    Webcam interview was pretty cool, a first for me and actually made me more relaxed. I knew once I made it to this portion I was extremely confident I would get the position because I have a knack for performing well in interviews. You do the interview in your own home or controlled environment, YOU HAVE TO DRESS UP, and need earphones with a microphone in it. There were 2 nice ladies involved
    Questions: "Tell me a little about yourself", "Describe a time you had with a customer who was very vague in detail with what they wanted how did you go about the interaction, and getting what they needed" "Describe a time you had an issue with a customer you could not resolve, how did you react, and what was the outcome" & "Why are you interested in this position" Just answer with complete utter confidence, be detailed but not long and you will be fine.....

Phase 5 THE CALL
    I was told it would take days for a response but luckily I got a call about 6 hours later same day, asking to setup another phone call the next morning to "talk further about the position". From there I felt good that I would get the offer. Got the call next morning, got the offer, and they sent over a welcome packet along with the job offer to go over. From applying online, to the interviews/testing, to the move, to your first day of work takes place in less than a month literally, so be prepared that's extremely fast. Luckily I have no kids, no wife, one job to leave, in my mid 20's, and independent so I can just pick up and go but that's obviously not the case for a lot of people.

Sorry for the length I did alot of research before getting into this job and applying and nobody ever gave a step by step detail of the process, just cliff notes. This helps you at least see the process I went through, though others may have a different experience especially with turn around time, I was just lucky.

Interview Questions
    • Deductive reasoning *Timed* have to balance the question and minutes used on each   View Answer
    NO NEGOTIATIONS this job is slated at 17.01HR plus quarterly bonus incentive on commission closed. I estimate you make 38-low 40's for the year def sounds fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UPS in January 2010.

Several interviews and competency testing

N/a

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UPS in November 2010.

Interviewed in front of team of 3 people, each representing different departments in the office. . Only one was a manager in the department I was applying for. Detailed questions about previous sales positions, sales successes and disappointments with examples. Prospecting experience not required but, want to know details if you did. Do you know about value based proposals? What techniques have you employed? They conducted a fairly easy role play of customer interaction. We were able to listen to examples of current Inside Sales reps and get an idea of their talk tracks. Interview concluded with basic knowlege and reasoning assesment.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't prepared for the role play, but handled it fairly easily.   Answer Question
    Base salary not negotiable

Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at UPS in August 2013.

Applied online and few days later conducted the phone interview. It was about 20minutes long, very easy, and simple. However, when I did the interview it was in August and new training class begin next month September 9th.

Interview Questions
    • Asked Tell me about yourself, experience with sales position, how do you handle a buyer obligation and price concern from customer   Answer Question

They expect you to relocate less than 30days to start the new training class. Also their starting salary is $16.85hr for the first six weeks of training then increase to $17.05hr with basically a base salary of $35,464. Commission is quarterly but no cap and during the first three months commission is paid by the company of a total of $2,050 ($750 month).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS in August 2013.

initial contact there was a phone screening followed by a battery test after you pass a battery test the last phase will be a 3 panel interview either in office or web cam depending on the state your in be prepared for all situational questions

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time you dealt with a customer that didn't want the service you provided to them   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS.

Interview process is designed to be intimidating. They read from a script; read a very long detailed explanation of their process, tell you a list of all the tenets they are covering - and then ask you a very vague question which you must apply to all the previously read details - and your experience. The word Military was used, stealing packages from the hands of the US Mail and others, and they admitted to lots of Pressure .... In hindsight - I should have read the reviews and declined the interview. Not "passing" the panel interview was a blessing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS.

On the ups careers site I found an opening I was looking for and applied. A few days later I got a call from the HR department asking when i could go in and take some personality/ skills tests. I went in and took a few tests. I was then asked for a panel interview. They asked many situational questions. After the interview I was told to wait and told that I had passed. I started orientation the next week. It was a pleasant interview process and very organized and quick.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had difficulty working with a co-worker and the action you took?   View Answer
    There was no negotiating with the offer for this intermediate level sales position. There was a possibility if you asked they could take the offer back all together.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UPS in December 2012.

I first received a phone call asking me a few normal prescreening phone calls. Why I chose UPS. What sales experience do I have and if I was willing to relocate. Afterward I was instructed to take a quick (45min) screen exam online. It was to test see how you would deal with customers and what you do in different situations. After I finished the test I was called a couple days later and scheduled a web cam/panel interview. The interview consisted of the normal "describe a time when..." questions. 1) When you didn't get along with a coworker and how did you deal with the situation. 2) When a customer was not happy with a product you sold them and how did you deal with it...and so on.

Interview Questions
    • None. They are pretty easy questions if you take time to think about your past experiences.   Answer Question
    Inside Sales Rep position is an entry level position so there is not much room for negotiation regarding your salary. They trust you enough to pay you a pretty good salary (35k) and then offer you commission based on new sales and stealing competitors business.

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!