UPS Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.0

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS.

Took the tour. HR did a good job scaring people away with "hard labor, early morning/late night, etc". I asked a few drivers and they said it wasn't super hard, just a little tough if not a morning person.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a workplace accident occurred?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you had any kind of conflict with another employee?   Answer Question

Pay wasn't great and the union dues seemed ridiculous to me for a low paying job

Seasonal Driver Helper Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPS.

i applied online in early november. at the end of the online application i signed up for a tour, which happened a few days later. after the tour they didn't even really interview me, they mainly just confirmed my information that was on record and asked me if i was interested in the job.

Package Handler Interview

Took the tour. Had to call pretty frequently to get a hold of someone for the interview though. Just put the effort and show you can handle hard work. Because the job is hard. Tip...bring some headphones and listen to music while working. Helps alot.

Interview Questions
    • Just the basics. Why UPS. Can you lift 50ibs. Provide transportation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS in February 2015.

It was an easy interview. First there was a tour of the facility with the rest of the applicants and then a one on one interview. He asked very basic questions and he also discuss if I was ok with the salary that I will receive. He said it is hard work and wanted to make sure that I was willing to work hard. This is the easiest interview that I have ever had.

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UPS in February 2015.

Were informed about the hours, the shift time, and the responsibilities the position entails. The person in charge of the orientation/interview was honest about the duties of the employees and made every effort to weed out disinterested candidates. As a group we were also shown the area of the facility in which we'd be working if hired there.

Interview Questions
    • Q: Why do you want to work for UPS?
      Q: Do you have reliable transportation to the work site?

View Answer

Communications Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UPS.

I had FIVE rounds of interviews - 3 of them before I ever met with anyone about the actual role I was being considered for. It started with a phone screen with Talent Acquisition. I then had to go in to take a basic business skills test. I was told it would take 2 hours. I had a job at the time, so I was missing work to do this.

They pack 15 or so people into a tiny room in the basement with old computers and someone from HR calls someone else in HR and gives them a name of the person in the room. The HR person hangs up and waits for a different HR person to call him back with an access code for that individual. Imagine how long this takes! I almost got up and left the room and abandoned the entire process. In my situation, they ended up having two people with the same name and it wreaked havoc. We were all waiting in the room for almost 2 hours before we were even allowed to start the test. All in all, it took about 4 hours instead of 2.

My next round was a "panel" interview. it was done over the phone with HR. They asked me 6 questions focused on general business and management situations. I had a brief time to plan my answers and was encouraged to be as thorough as possible and give examples.

After this round, I was finally able to talk with the actual Hiring Manager. It was a phone call. I was then asked to come in again to meet with the boss of the Hiring Manager. That was a 45-minute meeting plus travel time, parking, etc.

I heard nothing for 3 weeks. I emailed the hiring manager. HR called me the next day and said they were still working on the position, and asked if I was still interested. A week later I had an offer.

My entire interview process took over 3 months for a bottom-level management position. Oye.

Interview Questions
    • The panel interview was agnostic to industry so I got a question about having to deal with an irate customer. I didn't really have to do that in my relevant work experience, so I had to throw together something that sort of worked and sell it in.   Answer Question
    I WAS able to negotiate. I received more money and more vacation. However, I was unable to secure a signing bonus, confirmation that I would have a company phone and any kind of definitive answer on teleworking/flexible work schedules.

Once I started, only then was I told that I had to wait a year to be eligible for teleworking which was difficult because I had this perk at my last job. And only once I started did I find out that the job required rotating nights and weekend on-call monitoring and coverage amongst the team members. That's a big deal to not mention in an interview process! All in all, the interview process is not transparent at all, even if you ask questions and push.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UPS.

I was surprised at how many people were there along with me -- if they do the tour/interview every day for a bunch of consecutive days, seems like I have some competition! They brought us into the facility, read us a printout explaining wages/benefits/union dues and the physical intensity of the job, then led us to the loading and unloading areas, as well as explaining sorting. We stood inside a semi truck and looked at the conveyor belts moving packages along. For unloading it seems like you just tear the packages out as fast as you can while still making sure they're address-label-up -- the loading part we didn't get to see as the truck the interviewer took us to was half-full but vacant, I guess they were on break. The interview was super brief, so brief I forgot my well-rehearsed speech (lol) and who knows what the interviewer thought of me.

Interview Questions
    • Not unexpected -- just do you have any questions, do you have any experience in this type of job, do think you'd do this job 12+ months.   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Not difficult at all. You must be knowledgeable and able to explain your answers in great detail. Be professional at all times and respectful of the people that work for you.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected. I went in knowing what will be asked of me.   Answer Question

Seasonal Driver Helper Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UPS.

This was job was found online. Application process was online as well. Interview days were assigned the same time for everyone. Everyone gathered in a line outside headquarters. we submitted our information on a computer once inside. The interviewing process with a person was amazingly short and took about 2 min.

Intermediate Applications Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UPS.

UPS called and emailed me a couple months after I applied for the position. I talked to the HR reciter where they briefly explain the company's benefits, an in person interview was set up afterwards. The interview was onsite in their office. There were two people interviewing me at the same time, a lead developer and manager. The manager talked about the position and what they were looking for and then asked me questions about my past work followed up by some of the standard behavioral type questions like how do resolve conflicts etc. The lead developer did most of the technical questioning. The questions were not to difficult, standard java questions and design patterns. The in person interview lasted around a hour.

Overall, the interview went well and I did like the two guys that interviewed me. They seemed like some real stand up guys and honest about any question I asked. I wouldn't of mind working with them, it's a shame the company they work for doesn't really help them bring in new and fresh talent (reasons discussed below in why I declined section.)

Interview Questions

There were several factors (and red flags) that caused me to declined and I will list a very pro factors about my experience also.

Pros.
    1) I would say the biggest pro was they offered what I asked
    2) The interview process was quick (besides it took months to initially contact me.)

Cons
    1)The general culture over at UPS. I have been told by several people (including the interviewers) that management expects you to work 50 hours a week. Don't get me wrong, I have been doing software development for years and during crutch time I have no problem working long but I'm not going to do the 50 - 60 hours week all the time. It came off as place that is about how many hours your butt is in a seat and not about your quality of the hours.

2) Men can not have beards (mustaches are OK) and their hair can not past their shoulders which I failed that. I'm currently an consultant, traveling, looking professional and working directly with clients is part of my job. I'm not a believer in telling how people to dress to the fine details like that. Requiring suits, tie and keeping your hair neat and professional looking I have no problem with.

3) This point is what put the nail in the coffin and is the biggest reason I declined the job. When they called back to offer me the position, I requested to have the end of the week to come back with my decision and wanted a offer in writing. I have had recruiters reluctant to give me a written offer without accepting verbally but they also end up giving it to me. She said she would have to ask and they have been trying to fill this position for a long time (remember it took months for them to contact me). They never gave me a written offer so I decline the position. I figure if there HR can not give me a offer letter when they are trying to recruit me to join, how would they treat me once I'm in.