UPS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Unloader Interview

Unloader
Hodgkins, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UPS in April 2010.

Interview Details – It was fast and quick. He asked the simple questions about me and the overview about the job. I was calm and I made it seem like I wanted this job.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

UPS Preload Interview

UPS Preload

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS.

Interview Details – If you get contacted for an interview you pretty much have the job unless you yourself are psyched out once you actually see the madness of what is UPS. It's basically orientation on what goes on, but really is nothing like that upon beginning to work. Its a job where you hate it or you reallly hate it.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Technology Support Group Technician Interview

Technology Support Group Technician

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UPS in September 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty easy, post resume, HR interviews then 1-2 interviews with technology supervisor and/or managers. Skills test, will ask if this is a career choice to stay at ups or just a resume bulder.

Interview Question – Are you willing to have complete responsobiltiy with no authority?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No UPS is such a large company they do not negotiate with employee's

Part-time Package Handler Interview

Part-time Package Handler
Acworth, GA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online. Received a call to come in for a tour of the facility. I arrived 10-15 minutes before the tour and one of the employees showed me and another guy around, and explained the position. It seemed as if they were trying to scare us with the amount of work/lifting required. I was told I would be called within the next two weeks for an interview.

The following week I was called in for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes before my interview time and there were four other men there for interviews. Some interviews took longer than others. When I went in, the interviewer told me she's looking at my address and a different location is closer to my house. I explained that I applied to the other position, but had not heard anything from them. She essentially told me they have a lot of applicants and I need to wait. She did not ask me any interview questions, she based her decision solely on my address. The other location is actually 5-7 minutes shorter of a commute, so I didn't understand the big deal. Furthermore, they had my address before I came in for both the tour and the interview, so they could have made that decision without me being present.

Interview Question – I was only asked to confirm my address.   View Answer

Ontario, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS in October 2010.

Interview Details – nothing out of the ordinary you would expect coming from and interview all you do is show up with a group of people they give a group interview then they pull each person one on one for an inteview and then they let you go home and they tell when your leaving if we need you or you check out we call you

Interview Question – maybe school if school was important but nothing big   Answer Question

Part Time Package Handler

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS.

Interview Details – Applied online, and scheduled an interview/tour thing. Went down there and there were 25 other people there total interviewing as well. The lady took us through the warehouse and told us about everything. Then we were led back to the first building and had to wait in line as we were interviewed one by one. I was pretty much in the middle of the line at least, and ended up waiting about an hour. The actual interview was really quick. She didn't even ask anything like why I wanted to work there, she just quickly looked over the paper I(and everyone else) filled out and asked about hour availability and if I was going to college or not. That was pretty much it then I left.

Whole thing took like 2 or 3 hours, most of it was waiting in line for the extremely short interview.

Coralville, IA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS in June 2014.

Interview Details – Was very straight forward. After online application, was called and email regarding a job visit to discuss job details. Arrived early morning to group interview. Took a quick tour and had individual interview. Had a couple of days to decide if the job was for me or not.

Interview Question – Was asked if the work hours bothered me or not (3am-8:30am). Difficult to answer because wasn't sure of myself.   View Answer

QA Analyst Interview

QA Analyst
Paramus, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Interview Details – Got an interview by sending my resume to a current IT Manager, who is the Father of a close friend of mine. Had a very general preliminary phone interview with HR and eventually got called in for an onsite interview.

Interview Question – Absolutely no technical questions and nothing unexpected. Interviewer simply wanted to know more about me (i.e. College, major, past work experience, etc.). Again, very general and straightforward - was very comfortable and did not even feel like an interview. 1:1 Interview only lasted about 5 minutes.   View Answer

Senior Technology Supt Analyst Interview

Senior Technology Supt Analyst
Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on-line (as all companies now require). Was contacted by their internal recruiter who inquired about my availability, why i left previous position, and salary requirements. I was very up front and clear about salary. He called next day to setup a phone screen with technical people in the department a few days hence. They fired a succession of technical Unix, Windows and troubleshooting scenarios at me. Seemed to go well, they seemed pleased with the answers.

Recruiter called the next day, related that the tech interview went well, and they would like me to come in for an in person interview with those same tech people plus the hiring manager. Techs mainly sat and observerd while I had a very wide-ranging, conversational interview with the manager. We discussed future projects, challenges, the team, what my role would be, geographic location of the team and other company stake-holders. They need a senior player to design and implement significant enterprise critical systems. In the end, it seemed more like we weren't interviewing anymore, we were planning on how to get started. Excellent feeling on both sides coming out of the interview. Manager took me on a brief tour of the floor, then recruiter took over, took me on a tour of the whole facility, which is beautiful, BTW. Then he debriefed me on how I felt about the interview which I related very positively.

Next day, recruiter called, they would like to extend an offer. Great! Their method is to present the offer in person and give a full briefing on all compensation and benefits so that all questions can be answered. Cool - none of this "go look at our website and figure it out for yourself" nonsense. So I drove back again, and listened through an hour long, pretty standard for a top tier company, benefits presentation nothing tricky there. Then saw *part* of a video explaining their rather complex bonus structure. Nothing I could study and digest, mind you. Then after all of that they brought out the actual offer. $20K below my stated salary requirement. I kept the poker face, but though . . . . WTH!

Basically they decided to interpret *salary* as "total compensation" But the 20K difference is made up of bonus in various forms (which are all dependent on company performance, and management declarable "fudge factor" not under my control) and stock purchase discounts (which are not vested for three years) So the plus-up is structured to maybe not happen and isn't even liquid. To me _salary_ is just that. Any bonus that may (or might NOT happen) I treat purely as gravy -- but not to be depended upon.

So I thought it over, and next day called the recruiter and politely declined. I explained why and we parted on courteous terms.

In hind sight, it seems to me they new the offer was a low-ball hence the long build up FIRST before presenting me with the offer. I would still like to work at UPS, but I'll be paid what I'm worth.

Interview Question – It was not an ambush type of interview. They checked me out technically, first -- normal questions for a senior technologist. I guess most "difficult" was my troubleshooting process. I verbally laid out every step one takes to TS a hypothetical web-application failure scenario. There are a lot of pieces that can cause an web app to be "down" (even when it's really not) But being hypothetical, and not knowing all of the moving parts of the application, answer got perhaps rather lengthy. But better to be thorough (and demonstrate deep problem solving skills) than too casual.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was 20K below my stated salary requirements.

Pre-loader Interview

Pre-loader
Carrollton, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in July 2011.

Interview Details – I absolutely would not have recieved this job if it were not for knowing someone from the inside. I suggest you do this. The rest is simply waiting on the call and then further direction, which you must be prepared to act upon with energy, diligence, and without hesitation.

Negotiation Details – I was offered a job because an employee at that time recommended me.