UPS Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.1

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS.

Applied online, and scheduled an interview/tour thing. Went down there and there were 25 other people there total interviewing as well. The lady took us through the warehouse and told us about everything. Then we were led back to the first building and had to wait in line as we were interviewed one by one. I was pretty much in the middle of the line at least, and ended up waiting about an hour. The actual interview was really quick. She didn't even ask anything like why I wanted to work there, she just quickly looked over the paper I(and everyone else) filled out and asked about hour availability and if I was going to college or not. That was pretty much it then I left.

Whole thing took like 2 or 3 hours, most of it was waiting in line for the extremely short interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coralville, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coralville, IA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS in June 2014.

Was very straight forward. After online application, was called and email regarding a job visit to discuss job details. Arrived early morning to group interview. Took a quick tour and had individual interview. Had a couple of days to decide if the job was for me or not.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked if the work hours bothered me or not (3am-8:30am). Difficult to answer because wasn't sure of myself.   View Answer

Senior Technology Supt Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Applied on-line (as all companies now require). Was contacted by their internal recruiter who inquired about my availability, why i left previous position, and salary requirements. I was very up front and clear about salary. He called next day to setup a phone screen with technical people in the department a few days hence. They fired a succession of technical Unix, Windows and troubleshooting scenarios at me. Seemed to go well, they seemed pleased with the answers.

Recruiter called the next day, related that the tech interview went well, and they would like me to come in for an in person interview with those same tech people plus the hiring manager. Techs mainly sat and observerd while I had a very wide-ranging, conversational interview with the manager. We discussed future projects, challenges, the team, what my role would be, geographic location of the team and other company stake-holders. They need a senior player to design and implement significant enterprise critical systems. In the end, it seemed more like we weren't interviewing anymore, we were planning on how to get started. Excellent feeling on both sides coming out of the interview. Manager took me on a brief tour of the floor, then recruiter took over, took me on a tour of the whole facility, which is beautiful, BTW. Then he debriefed me on how I felt about the interview which I related very positively.

Next day, recruiter called, they would like to extend an offer. Great! Their method is to present the offer in person and give a full briefing on all compensation and benefits so that all questions can be answered. Cool - none of this "go look at our website and figure it out for yourself" nonsense. So I drove back again, and listened through an hour long, pretty standard for a top tier company, benefits presentation nothing tricky there. Then saw *part* of a video explaining their rather complex bonus structure. Nothing I could study and digest, mind you. Then after all of that they brought out the actual offer. $20K below my stated salary requirement. I kept the poker face, but though . . . . WTH!

Basically they decided to interpret *salary* as "total compensation" But the 20K difference is made up of bonus in various forms (which are all dependent on company performance, and management declarable "fudge factor" not under my control) and stock purchase discounts (which are not vested for three years) So the plus-up is structured to maybe not happen and isn't even liquid. To me _salary_ is just that. Any bonus that may (or might NOT happen) I treat purely as gravy -- but not to be depended upon.

So I thought it over, and next day called the recruiter and politely declined. I explained why and we parted on courteous terms.

In hind sight, it seems to me they new the offer was a low-ball hence the long build up FIRST before presenting me with the offer. I would still like to work at UPS, but I'll be paid what I'm worth.

Interview Questions
    • It was not an ambush type of interview. They checked me out technically, first -- normal questions for a senior technologist. I guess most "difficult" was my troubleshooting process. I verbally laid out every step one takes to TS a hypothetical web-application failure scenario. There are a lot of pieces that can cause an web app to be "down" (even when it's really not) But being hypothetical, and not knowing all of the moving parts of the application, answer got perhaps rather lengthy. But better to be thorough (and demonstrate deep problem solving skills) than too casual.   Answer Question

Offer was 20K below my stated salary requirements.

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Got an interview by sending my resume to a current IT Manager, who is the Father of a close friend of mine. Had a very general preliminary phone interview with HR and eventually got called in for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Absolutely no technical questions and nothing unexpected. Interviewer simply wanted to know more about me (i.e. College, major, past work experience, etc.). Again, very general and straightforward - was very comfortable and did not even feel like an interview. 1:1 Interview only lasted about 5 minutes.   View Answer

Pre-loader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carrollton, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carrollton, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in July 2011.

I absolutely would not have recieved this job if it were not for knowing someone from the inside. I suggest you do this. The rest is simply waiting on the call and then further direction, which you must be prepared to act upon with energy, diligence, and without hesitation.

I was offered a job because an employee at that time recommended me.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at UPS in January 2013.

A job opportunity was posted to the school's career services website for a position at the UPS store right across from the university. An email had to be sent to the owner indicating interest. After that I got a response to set up an interview date and time to meet and the owner asked a few questions purely based on items on my resume. No other questions were asked about an particular experience I had that demonstrated a desired quality etc. A new owner had just bought the store from a man who had been disliked by much of the community, so I was asked how I could envision expanding our market.

Interview Questions
    • In what ways could you imagine building a new reputation for this store?   Answer Question

REVENUE AUDITOR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Laguna, Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna, Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at UPS.

Everyone starts at the bottom. If you can load trucks and lift 70 lbs process for 1 year the interview is not
    difficult .The interview was very clear on the training regarding security and osha guideline.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions was primarly about habits and security.   Answer Question
    I accepted the position, thinking it was a great seasonal job and decided to continue my relationship with the union. If was simple and clear the training was not difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ontario, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at UPS.

Asked questions, explained position, salary, benefits and hours. Explained company culture, which is a lie. Signed forms, I9, gave drivers license. Asked what my previous jobs were and what I did. Asked why I wanted to work at UPS. (They do offer a good service).

No negotiation

UPS Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Canton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS in January 2014.

After putting in an application you may eventually be sent an email informing you of a group interview session (NOTE: This arrived in my spam folder!) You are asked to log back into UPS and finish your application. The interview takes place at the warehouse with other candidates. After a job description you'll be called individually to answer questions about whether we can fulfill the duties and why we want to work at UPS.

HR will soon contact you via phone (possibly email) asking if you still want the position and if so to return to update the application and give you and orientation date. After signing papers at the paid-orientation you're officially a UPS employee.

There is no drug test

Inside Sales Representative Interview

It's a bit intimidating because you are taken in front of a panel of three. You will sit across the table from them while they take turns asking you scenario related questions. They will not respond but rather take notes and stay quiet. The questions are typical "Tell me how you dealt with this situation before.." So if you have relatable situations already in mind, you're good to go.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me a time where you were NOT able to overcome a hard situation."   View Answer