UPS

Updated Sep 20, 2014

1.7

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UPS.

Asked questions, explained position, salary, benefits and hours. Explained company culture, which is a lie. Signed forms, I9, gave drivers license. Asked what my previous jobs were and what I did. Asked why I wanted to work at UPS. (They do offer a good service).

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at UPS in June 2014.

So I applied on May 2014 for a PT-Package Handler position in the Ontario AirHub in California and it was the worst experience I have ever had when applying for a job. I checked every day after I applied to see when the next orientation meeting was because there are certain days when they open up the list for people to sign-up for it and when it reaches the limit of applicants, it closes and you have to wait another week or so for another orientation opening. Oh, and without that orientation you cannot be offered a position, and attending these meeting does not guarantee a position either. I was lucky enough to one day check and randomly found an open orientation meeting for the day after. So basically, you need to be 100% committed and open every and any day of the week if you want this job. Yes, UPS Package Handler positions think they are so important and such an irresistible job position that you have to be checking every day for these openings and they open randomly without any notice.

After being able to get an opening spot, you attend the orientation meeting where they explain to you all the logistics of the job. What to expect, pay, benefits and they warn you over and over how stressful and heavy work load this job requires. When I got to the orientation I found out they were only looking for one specific time schedule only and unfortunately, I wasn't available for that time. So this was annoying enough already. When you apply online you expect for that time to be available when you go in for orientation but it isn't. By the way, there are only certain time shifts you can apply to and you work anywhere in between those hours and you're stuck like that for 6 months so pick wisely. So for example, if you pick morning shift which is, 4am to like 9am you can work from 5-8am. If you pick mid shift it's from like 12-5pm and twilight from like 7-1am and you can work either 3-4-5 hours a day randomly every day and week.

So continuing on with my experience, a week later I attended another of these orientations and guess what? They were hiring for my available time! So what the heck right? A week before they weren't and now they did?? Give me a break! So I had a mini interview with one of the recruiters, they asked me some general questions like: what time could I work? Can I lift 70lbs on my own? Etc. So the lady told me that they were gonna run a background check on me and when it cleared (which would take about 48-72 hrs) they would give me a call so I can start training (pretty much hired). So as expected, I got my copy of my background check cleared and waited about 2 weeks and got no call from them yet. Oh and by the way, the Ontario AirHub does not have a HR number so I had to go in person to check on my status because at the time I was still interested in the position. I talked to the same lady that interviewed me and she said I had to wait and she couldn't do anything. And I mean, I heard from other people that have gotten hired that if you show interest and are insistent that you really want this job they would hire you immediately because they need people and they want people that really want the job. But I guess in my case all I could do is wait. Uh huh, like if I had all the time and money to rely on one job only and not look other options elsewhere. I had bills to pay and the need of a job just like everybody else!

Anyways, so I thought my "nice" little adventure with UPS Package Handler position was over until I got a call from a recruiter in September 2014, so 4 months later to see if I was still interested. By this time I had already found two jobs that payed me way more than just $10 an hour and without killing myself and inhaling dust over oxygen in my lungs. I was surprised and laughed in a 'wow! Really?' way and for my own personal satisfaction I told him: "You know what? I've been desperately seeking to get a position with UPS, went twice to personally talk to the recruiters and ask for a job, but now you call me 4 months later and expect me to be patiently awaiting and available for 'the job position of my life' (sarcastically speaking)? Well no, I am not interested anymore because I have two much better jobs. Thank you very much". And I hung up.

Well I hope this long detailed anecdote yet filled with important information help any of you out there that is thinking of getting a position here specifically. Again, this was my own personal anecdote and by no means I am saying it happens to everyone. But think about it a lot before you commit to make a decision. I hope this helped and influenced you and your future decision.

Interview Questions
    • Can you lift 70lbs on your own? When can you work? Tell me a time where you were in a stressful work environment and how did you handle it?   View Answer

It was way too late. I had found other better jobs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UPS in September 2012.

I had applied online, after a week or so I received an e-mail to come at a certain time and day to get an interview. I went there at the time stated, I saw a giant line of about 30-40 people and was greeted by an H.R representative. We all were told to go into a room and he gave us all packets and went through what to expect while working, what time we were applying for which was night shift. We each were called into a room for an interview, they were simple questions e.g why do you want to work here? After that interview they said they were to call me back for another interview, same questions nothing hard to answer. After about a week or so they called me back and told me what to expect what time to come what to wear and that I had the job. After that you go into training which is about a week and some testing. Over all it was an easy process just go in with confidence and look good an you will do fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS in October 2010.

nothing out of the ordinary you would expect coming from and interview all you do is show up with a group of people they give a group interview then they pull each person one on one for an inteview and then they let you go home and they tell when your leaving if we need you or you check out we call you

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online – interviewed at UPS in August 2010.

Apply Online got a call for an interview....i think they mostly judge of your appearance...i would recommend going with boots looking ready to work...its heavy worker and the just want to make sure you can physically handle the work, also the will ask you if your planning on staying long term with the company probably the most important question of the interview and course reply with yes

Interview Questions
    after the first interview you have to wait for another call...if they call you pretty much got the job its for a tour at the warehouse

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UPS in July 2010.

I first applied for them, then i didnt hear from them so i emailed them and they contacted me right after and we set up and interview date. that day soon arrived answered there questions perfectly and they hired me on the spot. i started a week later. fast process if they like you. if not keep trying and dont give up. once your in you'll be happy you did.

Air Container Loader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at UPS in November 2007.

Persistence was key. The interview consisted of questions regarding previous employment, your strong/weak points, etc. The only reason I got the job so fast was the fact that I kept contacting the hiring manager about my application, then I spoke to him in person and he hired me on the spot. Prove to them that you want the job, more than likely, they will give you a shot.