UPS Part Time Package Handler Interview Questions & Reviews

1.7

140 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Parsippany, NJ
Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at UPS in August 2014.

I applied as a package handler and was able to schedule an interview immediately upon filling out an online application. I thought this was cool but when I got there I realized there was nothing cool about this position.

I was sat down with a few other men applying for the position and a woman came out and told us about it. She said that she wasn't going to lie and that the work is extremely hard,

She then took us on a tour into the warehouse and the place felt like something out of a nightmare. It was unbearably loud with endless beeping noises. Employees were being screamed at to work harder. The tour leader said that people unloading must lift one heavy package every three seconds or a total of 1,200 packages per hour. I would have thought such an arduous task was humanly impossible but somehow they expect employees to do it.

They offered me the job without asking many questions, but I knew I wasn't up for the task and declined.

Interview Questions
  • There weren't many questions. They did most of the talking.   Answer Question

I wasn't going to subject myself to that kind of torture.

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cordova, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at UPS in August 2014.

Well, it was a pretty straightforward interview. Met at the security check and then walked into the facility to meet our representative. Took about a half an hour or so to tour the facility. Then, we were asked if the position seemed like something that you could see yourself doing and if the hours worked with your schedule (there were two shifts available at the time). We were then given a background check paper to fill out if we were interested and interviewed one by one. Most questions the HR rep that I had said were things like, "Why do you want to work for UPS?" & "What makes you qualified for this position?" But, for myself, it was a cake walk. Was told they would give me a call back if they felt I was right for the position. This was on a Thursday. They followed up and called me in for a second interview the following week on Tuesday, so overall I had a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    No negoations. Take it or leave it. They offered me $11.35/hr.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at UPS in October 2013.

We were talked to in a group. If you fill out the application online and they do not give you an interview by the time you are done with the online application you will probably not get hired. If you did and it is in a big city for a main hub there will be other people in the class everyone gets a tour he ask if you think you can do the job and if you say yes you come back and then you are hired you fill out paper work as a class and then you get your start day and time.

Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS in April 2014.

Applied online, was informed of open house interviews, selected a date, was told about the job, mentioned that I worked Christmas and no offer was made at the end of the season (even surprising my driver) and was asked to return three days later with ID and direct deposit information. I had that with me. The second interview entailed filling out forms and the interviewer said someone would get back to me. That was April, this is August. According to the website my application is active. Unbaptized babies no longer go to limbo but people willing to start work at four in the morning remain in limbo indefinitely.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hodgkins, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hodgkins, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Super easy interview, most of it is just to confirm things on your app, but there is a massive catch: the main one being that the pay is LAUGHABLE for work you'll be putting into one shift, and they know it.

Even worse, they take out union dues every single week, more than one and 1/2 of your hourly rate in most cases, even though you don't have any union protection during your first 40 days of work and can be fired merely because you didn't dot your I's or cross your T's (which is a scam in my book, but that's a story for another day).

Add in the fact that it's an unsafe working environment at best, and that the job description lies about the 70 pounds thing (you'll have to lift over 70's when putting in or unloading "bulk") and again, the meager pay, I'll just flat out say you're better off literally flipping burgers than risking your neck as a "package handler" at UPS.

Oh, and if you're thinking of going in at the bottom and trying to move up, think again! They have a "non-rehire" policy, so if you suck at loading or unloading, or you full time supervisor doesn't like you, you'll never be able to work for the company again!

So think hard before you pursue this position.

Interview Questions
    • None. Depending on the HR rep you get, they might toss in "Why do you want to work for UPS" or "What does safety mean to you?", but they really use the 40 day work period as the interview.

The hard part is getting a call back.
        Answer Question
    None. $8.50. Take it or leave it.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Applied online at UPS.com for a part-time package handler position. They're constantly advertising around here for this position. I was able to schedule a tour of the facility online. This tour is mandatory. Basically, you do to the facility at the time of the shift you want, sit in a room with other people who are interested in the position, and get a speech on the pay, benefits, what you do, etc. The HR person basically made it sound like you would be working in a living hell. 20 people showed up to my tour. One guy walked out. After the tour (1.5-2 hours long), you go back to the room and they schedule 1-on-1 interviews the following day with those who want it.

Some tips: Follow the instructions and wear jeans to the tour. Do not bring your cell phone or other junk. Your drama can wait til you leave. The instructions were very clear about this, yet a half dozen people showed up with cell phones, jewelry, etc and got kicked out of the tour.

I went to the interview the next day. I arrived 12 mins ahead of schedule. I had to wait 90 minutes past the scheduled interview time. No one else was waiting, just me. They kept asking me repeatedly if I had checked in, and I had. They kept confirming that I was indeed checked in on the list. This doesn't inspire much confidence in their organizational skills. After this monumental wait, I get taken back by someone in HR for an interview.

Questions were routine and expected. I was only asked 3 questions:Why do you want to work for UPS? Why should we choose you over (I'm paraphrasing here) all the billions of highly qualified people who can also lift boxes? Have you ever had any warehouse experience before?

She noted my address immediately from my application. I was moving in 2 days, and my new house was only 7 miles from the UPS facility. My old address, which was on the application because I applied before my move, was about 25 miles away. She (HR person) made a really big deal about it, then eventually wrote my the fact I was moving closer down on a post-it note. I think this is a big strike against you... if you aren't within football throwing distance of the hub.

I showed up to the interview in a polo shirt and khakis. I didn't want to be in a tie for this position and I also didn't want to look like a low life. The HR person was very taken aback by this and asked initially if I was interviewing for a driver position. She had no idea why I was there, actually, until I told her. She made a really big deal about the clothes... how this isn't a desk job, etc etc. I think the clothes were a strike against me. So my advice is, go in looking like a homeless bum, or at least wear jeans and t-shirt to the interview. Don't try to look nice.

The whole interview took maybe 15 minutes, about 11 minutes of which she wasn't paying any attention to me and just clicking stuff on the computer. At the end she said we were done. I asked about next steps, and if/when I'd hear from them on the position. She said "right now we're just interviewing," and I left it at that.

3 weeks later, no call.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UPS in January 2010.

You and a group are brought in and briefed. afterwards they separate everyone and try to gauge if this type of work is for you. The interview is easy, the work is where it gets hard.

no negotiations

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Took tour of facility. Went back for interview with HR took about 5 minutes before they gave me the verbal offer. Overall extremely easy and enjoyable. They do interviews for the overnight shift at that time so 11pm is when you start.

Interview Questions
    • They mentioned that I may want to wait about 30 days and start circulating my resume to potentially be able to progress from inside the company. They were worried that I was over qualified for the position.   View Answer

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS.

hiring for the union package handler job is easiest was to get in the door at ups. if you show willingness to do physical work and you have reliable transportation

Interview Questions
    • nothing to difficult, they basically want to know if you can lift up to 60 lbs and you are available to be there 5 days a week for the shift you applied for   Answer Question
    starting pay in non negotiable

Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

You arrive to the site and wait outside for everyone else to arrive. The site manager comes out to gather everyone in a huddle and went down the roster. Next, she talked a little about the position and made sure everyone was still interested. We was advised that the tour would take approx. two hours (which it did). We walked through security and went on a tour of the site. She described all three departments (forget the titles of them). Afterwards, we huddled and she went into detail regarding opportunities of growth, benefits, and pay structure. Towards the end, we went downstairs to a classroom and filled out a sheet for general background information. Lastly, we had to go into a separate room and have a 10 - 15 minute one-on-one with the site manager. This interview was very causal and informal. The site manager was very relatable.

Interview Questions
    • What do you/have you done that require you being very physical?   Answer Question
    • Are you able to come in 2 - 3 hours before your shift (4:45a - 9:15a) when needed?   Answer Question
    • How's your criminal background?   Answer Question
    • Do you have reliable transportation?   Answer Question
    • Will you be able to commit to working more hours per day during 'Peak' season (holidays)?   Answer Question

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!