UPS

Average Difficulty
136 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hodgkins, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Interview Details – Super easy interview, most of it is just to confirm things on your app, but there is a massive catch: the main one being that the pay is LAUGHABLE for work you'll be putting into one shift, and they know it.

Even worse, they take out union dues every single week, more than one and 1/2 of your hourly rate in most cases, even though you don't have any union protection during your first 40 days of work and can be fired merely because you didn't dot your I's or cross your T's (which is a scam in my book, but that's a story for another day).

Add in the fact that it's an unsafe working environment at best, and that the job description lies about the 70 pounds thing (you'll have to lift over 70's when putting in or unloading "bulk") and again, the meager pay, I'll just flat out say you're better off literally flipping burgers than risking your neck as a "package handler" at UPS.

Oh, and if you're thinking of going in at the bottom and trying to move up, think again! They have a "non-rehire" policy, so if you suck at loading or unloading, or you full time supervisor doesn't like you, you'll never be able to work for the company again!

So think hard before you pursue this position.

Interview Question – None. Depending on the HR rep you get, they might toss in "Why do you want to work for UPS" or "What does safety mean to you?", but they really use the 40 day work period as the interview.

The hard part is getting a call back.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. $8.50. Take it or leave it.

Part Time Package Handler

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online at UPS.com for a part-time package handler position. They're constantly advertising around here for this position. I was able to schedule a tour of the facility online. This tour is mandatory. Basically, you do to the facility at the time of the shift you want, sit in a room with other people who are interested in the position, and get a speech on the pay, benefits, what you do, etc. The HR person basically made it sound like you would be working in a living hell. 20 people showed up to my tour. One guy walked out. After the tour (1.5-2 hours long), you go back to the room and they schedule 1-on-1 interviews the following day with those who want it.

Some tips: Follow the instructions and wear jeans to the tour. Do not bring your cell phone or other junk. Your drama can wait til you leave. The instructions were very clear about this, yet a half dozen people showed up with cell phones, jewelry, etc and got kicked out of the tour.

I went to the interview the next day. I arrived 12 mins ahead of schedule. I had to wait 90 minutes past the scheduled interview time. No one else was waiting, just me. They kept asking me repeatedly if I had checked in, and I had. They kept confirming that I was indeed checked in on the list. This doesn't inspire much confidence in their organizational skills. After this monumental wait, I get taken back by someone in HR for an interview.

Questions were routine and expected. I was only asked 3 questions:Why do you want to work for UPS? Why should we choose you over (I'm paraphrasing here) all the billions of highly qualified people who can also lift boxes? Have you ever had any warehouse experience before?

She noted my address immediately from my application. I was moving in 2 days, and my new house was only 7 miles from the UPS facility. My old address, which was on the application because I applied before my move, was about 25 miles away. She (HR person) made a really big deal about it, then eventually wrote my the fact I was moving closer down on a post-it note. I think this is a big strike against you... if you aren't within football throwing distance of the hub.

I showed up to the interview in a polo shirt and khakis. I didn't want to be in a tie for this position and I also didn't want to look like a low life. The HR person was very taken aback by this and asked initially if I was interviewing for a driver position. She had no idea why I was there, actually, until I told her. She made a really big deal about the clothes... how this isn't a desk job, etc etc. I think the clothes were a strike against me. So my advice is, go in looking like a homeless bum, or at least wear jeans and t-shirt to the interview. Don't try to look nice.

The whole interview took maybe 15 minutes, about 11 minutes of which she wasn't paying any attention to me and just clicking stuff on the computer. At the end she said we were done. I asked about next steps, and if/when I'd hear from them on the position. She said "right now we're just interviewing," and I left it at that.

3 weeks later, no call.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for UPS?   Answer Question

Part Time Package Handler

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UPS in January 2010.

Interview Details – You and a group are brought in and briefed. afterwards they separate everyone and try to gauge if this type of work is for you. The interview is easy, the work is where it gets hard.

Interview Question – no difficult questions were asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Part Time Package Handler

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Interview Details – Took tour of facility. Went back for interview with HR took about 5 minutes before they gave me the verbal offer. Overall extremely easy and enjoyable. They do interviews for the overnight shift at that time so 11pm is when you start.

Interview Question – They mentioned that I may want to wait about 30 days and start circulating my resume to potentially be able to progress from inside the company. They were worried that I was over qualified for the position.   View Answer

Part Time Package Handler

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS.

Interview Details – hiring for the union package handler job is easiest was to get in the door at ups. if you show willingness to do physical work and you have reliable transportation

Interview Question – nothing to difficult, they basically want to know if you can lift up to 60 lbs and you are available to be there 5 days a week for the shift you applied for   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – starting pay in non negotiable

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Interview Details – You arrive to the site and wait outside for everyone else to arrive. The site manager comes out to gather everyone in a huddle and went down the roster. Next, she talked a little about the position and made sure everyone was still interested. We was advised that the tour would take approx. two hours (which it did). We walked through security and went on a tour of the site. She described all three departments (forget the titles of them). Afterwards, we huddled and she went into detail regarding opportunities of growth, benefits, and pay structure. Towards the end, we went downstairs to a classroom and filled out a sheet for general background information. Lastly, we had to go into a separate room and have a 10 - 15 minute one-on-one with the site manager. This interview was very causal and informal. The site manager was very relatable.

Interview Questions

Part-time Package Handler Interview

Part-time Package Handler
Acworth, GA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online. Received a call to come in for a tour of the facility. I arrived 10-15 minutes before the tour and one of the employees showed me and another guy around, and explained the position. It seemed as if they were trying to scare us with the amount of work/lifting required. I was told I would be called within the next two weeks for an interview.

The following week I was called in for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes before my interview time and there were four other men there for interviews. Some interviews took longer than others. When I went in, the interviewer told me she's looking at my address and a different location is closer to my house. I explained that I applied to the other position, but had not heard anything from them. She essentially told me they have a lot of applicants and I need to wait. She did not ask me any interview questions, she based her decision solely on my address. The other location is actually 5-7 minutes shorter of a commute, so I didn't understand the big deal. Furthermore, they had my address before I came in for both the tour and the interview, so they could have made that decision without me being present.

Interview Question – I was only asked to confirm my address.   View Answer

Ontario, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UPS in October 2010.

Interview Details – nothing out of the ordinary you would expect coming from and interview all you do is show up with a group of people they give a group interview then they pull each person one on one for an inteview and then they let you go home and they tell when your leaving if we need you or you check out we call you

Interview Question – maybe school if school was important but nothing big   Answer Question

Part Time Package Handler

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS.

Interview Details – Applied online, and scheduled an interview/tour thing. Went down there and there were 25 other people there total interviewing as well. The lady took us through the warehouse and told us about everything. Then we were led back to the first building and had to wait in line as we were interviewed one by one. I was pretty much in the middle of the line at least, and ended up waiting about an hour. The actual interview was really quick. She didn't even ask anything like why I wanted to work there, she just quickly looked over the paper I(and everyone else) filled out and asked about hour availability and if I was going to college or not. That was pretty much it then I left.

Whole thing took like 2 or 3 hours, most of it was waiting in line for the extremely short interview.

Coralville, IA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS in June 2014.

Interview Details – Was very straight forward. After online application, was called and email regarding a job visit to discuss job details. Arrived early morning to group interview. Took a quick tour and had individual interview. Had a couple of days to decide if the job was for me or not.

Interview Question – Was asked if the work hours bothered me or not (3am-8:30am). Difficult to answer because wasn't sure of myself.   View Answer

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!