UPS

Updated Dec 11, 2014

1.7

169 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Quiet.constant amount of videos.I was instructed to be safe and to help others when asked of my assistance. I was told not to exit doorways/parking areas unless off clock. Injuries were my fault and not their responsibility.

Interview Questions
There was not an initiation or inquiry of negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UPS.

This is for the Air Ramp position, working outdoors:

I started an application online. I did not finish it, but received an email reminding me that they had positions available and inviting me to finish my app. Once I did so, I was able to schedule an interview for the very next day. I parked at the facility and signed in with a group of other people waiting to interview.

We all entered a room with a big table. The HR person went over what she called "the good, the bad and the ugly", starting with "the ugly". She was very straightforward about how challenging this position is. She explained we would be working outside in all types of weather. She said we could often be on our knees in the belly of a plane loading and unloading packages. The shifts would start at either 4a or 10p (we could choose which we preferred). She was sure to emphasize the physical demands of the job. She also pointed out that the starting pay is $10/hour. It is a union position, so the union would be deducting $25 from your pay for the first 10 weeks for the initiation fee, then $25 monthly thereafter.

Once she was done with that, she asked if there was anyone who felt they were no longer interested in the position. One person expressed having arthritis in his hands and left. She thanked them for being honest. There was no shaming. She then went on with "the good": full benefits after one year, $5500 per year tuition reimbursement after 90 days, discounts with various merchants and upward mobility. UPS has a culture of hiring/promoting from within the company. I got the impression that this was a very real possibility and that one could do so relatively quickly.

She then conducted brief, individual interviews with each of us. She asked when was the last time I did work outside? How long would I plan on staying on with them? Am I physically able to complete my duties? She then offered me a job contingent on the results of my background check. Also, on my rehire code from previously working for the company. I asked for a couple of days to get back to her. I got fingerprinted in the interim, just to move the process along in case I came back with a yes.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected-how would I do working on a very tight schedule? (The planes have to leave at a precise time daily).   Answer Question

Looking for a higher rate of pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doraville, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doraville, GA

I applied in-person – interviewed at UPS.

There was no interview. I applied online, then visited local office to check on application progress, and was scheduled for a tour. If the tour doesn't run you off you're hired on probation until management runs you off or you join the union for job security. There is also no drug test for this position so there are A LOT of weed smokers.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask if you have been honest in your criminal background questions.   Answer Question
    No negation. They tell you upfront the pay rate and job position is nonnegotiable.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Piece of cake and very simple very easy. Not much to worry about when asked simple questions such as what your previous work was like, why you chose UPS an so forth

Interview Questions
    • Willingness to stay with job for said number of months   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whites Creek, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whites Creek, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS in November 2014.

At the end of filling out the online application for the part time package handler position, I was given a date and time to show up at the UPS hub for a group tour. Upon arrival, I was seated in a room in the HR building with about 15 other people. The HR rep went over job details and what to expect while working for UPS and gave us a ten minute tour of the warehouse. We returned to the HR building and the HR rep called us back to his desk, one by one to schedule our real interviews for the next day. The next day I come back for the interview and the HR rep basically just asked me why I wanted to work for UPS and about my previous work experience. Other than that, he was mostly just confirming my info on my application was correct. He told me they had to run a background check that would take 3-5 days (which actually ended up taking 2 weeks) and I was offered the job. Easy peasy, nothing to worry about folks.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UPS.

extensive and harsh to no avail. managers approach the interview with an interrogation point of view versus getting to know the person and asking more important questions such as "where did you previously work and why did you leave" as opposed to "what makes you think you can work " or "why would you think that we would hire someone like you, do you really think that you could do this job" very tactless in the entire interview process

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPS in September 2014.

Applied yesterday, got the facility tour tomorrow. Hoping the rest of the process continues this smoothly. This would be my first job and my first contact from anyone all summer regardless of the countless applications. I will update this after tomorrow to share my experience.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

The whole process took forever. I applied online and just when I thought I wasn't going to get a call, I got a call after about a month. I went in for a group interview, where they just explained what we would be doing. After the interview, they set up an orientation for those that still wanted to continue in the hiring process and met their availability. I went to the orientation, where they gave me a "behind the scene" look to what the position would require doing. However, even after that, they still took a long time to call me about the position. Apparently, HR was always busy. I finally got an offer for the position but unfortunately, it was too late. I was heading back to college and had to decline the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Applied through the company website. Received a phone call within a week inviting me to an interview. The interviewer asked very standard interview questions mainly focusing on past experience. Upon excepting the offer I was asked to return for an informational session and to fill out paperwork in a group setting before beginning our training on site.

Interview Questions
    • "What is your biggest weakness?" This is a standard question, but is never an easy one to answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UPS in October 2014.

I applied online and it instantly gave me date and time for a tour. I went to the tour, which was being overseen by someone other than the usual person, who was on vacation. During the tour 11 of us watched the people work for a few minutes, then we were told about how important punctuality is and how great working for UPS would be (benefits, great pay, promotion opportunities). Since HR person was on vacation, we were all told to come back the next week.

The next week I came back, and 9 of us showed up for the interview. I came about 10 minutes early but was still the last person there -- I waited in line for an hour and a half, and by the time I got in to do my interview, it was obvious she was bored. While the first interviews took about 20 minutes each, the last five or so took less than half that. I was in there for about seven minutes. Questions were typical -- Why do I want to work at UPS, questions about my school/schedule, if I'm willing to get proper boots (they said boots were required -- but I didn't see anyone wearing boots working), description of what I'll be doing on the job and asking if I can do these things.

I was told I'll be getting a call in about a week after she interviews that week's applicants. At the writing of this review, it has been one week and they interviewed the applicants today. I have yet to receive a call, although I may get a call tomorrow or the day after.

On the positive side, before the interviews the interviewer was a pleasant lady, and all of the other employees seemed to have bright personalities. While waiting for the interview, I had a nice chat with a driver, and then a more nicely dressed man who I assume works in a higher up position in the facility.

On the negative side, this experience has left me feeling that UPS does not respect my time and exploits the fact that people need jobs. Scheduled interviews like those held in most other jobs would've been much preferred.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Unexpected: I was drilled concerning my workout routines, and she drilled in on every little detail (down to my pace starting a run and ending a run, how many sets I do in my workouts, type of workouts, weights used, if I alternate days, etc, and she wrote it all down).   Answer Question