UPS Part Time Package Handler Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

1.6

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS.

Interview

Took the tour. HR did a good job scaring people away with "hard labor, early morning/late night, etc". I asked a few drivers and they said it wasn't super hard, just a little tough if not a morning person.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a workplace accident occurred?   Answer Question
  • What would you do if you had any kind of conflict with another employee?   Answer Question

Pay wasn't great and the union dues seemed ridiculous to me for a low paying job

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS (Secaucus, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

It was an easy interview. First there was a tour of the facility with the rest of the applicants and then a one on one interview. He asked very basic questions and he also discuss if I was ok with the salary that I will receive. He said it is hard work and wanted to make sure that I was willing to work hard. This is the easiest interview that I have ever had.

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UPS (Secaucus, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Were informed about the hours, the shift time, and the responsibilities the position entails. The person in charge of the orientation/interview was honest about the duties of the employees and made every effort to weed out disinterested candidates. As a group we were also shown the area of the facility in which we'd be working if hired there.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why do you want to work for UPS?
      Q: Do you have reliable transportation to the work site?

1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UPS (Edison, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was short and sweet. Everything was explained, as to the job description and what would be expected of an employee. Pay rate was discussed, when raises are given and Union dues were explained.

Interview Questions

• There weren't too many questions, as much as it was just, What job did you work previously? Do you have reliable transportation? And when can you start?   Answer Question

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UPS.

Interview

I was surprised at how many people were there along with me -- if they do the tour/interview every day for a bunch of consecutive days, seems like I have some competition! They brought us into the facility, read us a printout explaining wages/benefits/union dues and the physical intensity of the job, then led us to the loading and unloading areas, as well as explaining sorting. We stood inside a semi truck and looked at the conveyor belts moving packages along. For unloading it seems like you just tear the packages out as fast as you can while still making sure they're address-label-up -- the loading part we didn't get to see as the truck the interviewer took us to was half-full but vacant, I guess they were on break. The interview was super brief, so brief I forgot my well-rehearsed speech (lol) and who knows what the interviewer thought of me.

Interview Questions

• Not unexpected -- just do you have any questions, do you have any experience in this type of job, do think you'd do this job 12+ months.   Answer Question

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Interview

Quiet.constant amount of videos.I was instructed to be safe and to help others when asked of my assistance. I was told not to exit doorways/parking areas unless off clock. Injuries were my fault and not their responsibility.

Interview Questions

• Handling frustrated employees   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not an initiation or inquiry of negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UPS (Seattle, WA).

Interview

This is for the Air Ramp position, working outdoors:

I started an application online. I did not finish it, but received an email reminding me that they had positions available and inviting me to finish my app. Once I did so, I was able to schedule an interview for the very next day. I parked at the facility and signed in with a group of other people waiting to interview.

We all entered a room with a big table. The HR person went over what she called "the good, the bad and the ugly", starting with "the ugly". She was very straightforward about how challenging this position is. She explained we would be working outside in all types of weather. She said we could often be on our knees in the belly of a plane loading and unloading packages. The shifts would start at either 4a or 10p (we could choose which we preferred). She was sure to emphasize the physical demands of the job. She also pointed out that the starting pay is $10/hour. It is a union position, so the union would be deducting $25 from your pay for the first 10 weeks for the initiation fee, then $25 monthly thereafter.

Once she was done with that, she asked if there was anyone who felt they were no longer interested in the position. One person expressed having arthritis in his hands and left. She thanked them for being honest. There was no shaming. She then went on with "the good": full benefits after one year, $5500 per year tuition reimbursement after 90 days, discounts with various merchants and upward mobility. UPS has a culture of hiring/promoting from within the company. I got the impression that this was a very real possibility and that one could do so relatively quickly.

She then conducted brief, individual interviews with each of us. She asked when was the last time I did work outside? How long would I plan on staying on with them? Am I physically able to complete my duties? She then offered me a job contingent on the results of my background check. Also, on my rehire code from previously working for the company. I asked for a couple of days to get back to her. I got fingerprinted in the interim, just to move the process along in case I came back with a yes.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected-how would I do working on a very tight schedule? (The planes have to leave at a precise time daily).   Answer Question

Looking for a higher rate of pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UPS (Savannah, GA) in December 2014.

Interview

A day after completing my UPS application, I recieved an email stating that I had successfully moved on to the second stage.
    The email consisted of the time of interview, location, and a dress code.

The morning of the interview I pulled up into the parking lot and noticed a substantial number of people waiting outside of the building's doors. We were all there for the same reason.

It turned out to be a group interview with at least 30 people there at one time.

The email told us to be there at 10 a.m. But our instructor did not arrive until about 10:30.

After the Supervisor introduced himself he then told us that there were some errors in the application and that the start/end times were comet ely different than listed.
    A few people ended up walking away.

Afterwards he took us inside the warehouse. He didn't show us around like he was suppose to. He just called us one by one and asked us a few simple questions and then told us what time to start work the next day.

Interview Questions

• Are you currently in school?
      How far is your street address from this location?
      Are you interested in the morning shift or afternoon shift?
      Do you have a picture ID I can look at?

1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doraville, GA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at UPS (Doraville, GA).

Interview

There was no interview. I applied online, then visited local office to check on application progress, and was scheduled for a tour. If the tour doesn't run you off you're hired on probation until management runs you off or you join the union for job security. There is also no drug test for this position so there are A LOT of weed smokers.

Interview Questions

• They will ask if you have been honest in your criminal background questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negation. They tell you upfront the pay rate and job position is nonnegotiable.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Interview

Piece of cake and very simple very easy. Not much to worry about when asked simple questions such as what your previous work was like, why you chose UPS an so forth

Interview Questions

• Willingness to stay with job for said number of months   Answer Question