UPS

169 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part-time Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acworth, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acworth, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Applied Online. Received a call to come in for a tour of the facility. I arrived 10-15 minutes before the tour and one of the employees showed me and another guy around, and explained the position. It seemed as if they were trying to scare us with the amount of work/lifting required. I was told I would be called within the next two weeks for an interview.

The following week I was called in for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes before my interview time and there were four other men there for interviews. Some interviews took longer than others. When I went in, the interviewer told me she's looking at my address and a different location is closer to my house. I explained that I applied to the other position, but had not heard anything from them. She essentially told me they have a lot of applicants and I need to wait. She did not ask me any interview questions, she based her decision solely on my address. The other location is actually 5-7 minutes shorter of a commute, so I didn't understand the big deal. Furthermore, they had my address before I came in for both the tour and the interview, so they could have made that decision without me being present.

Interview Questions
  • I was only asked to confirm my address.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at UPS.

Applied online, and scheduled an interview/tour thing. Went down there and there were 25 other people there total interviewing as well. The lady took us through the warehouse and told us about everything. Then we were led back to the first building and had to wait in line as we were interviewed one by one. I was pretty much in the middle of the line at least, and ended up waiting about an hour. The actual interview was really quick. She didn't even ask anything like why I wanted to work there, she just quickly looked over the paper I(and everyone else) filled out and asked about hour availability and if I was going to college or not. That was pretty much it then I left.

Whole thing took like 2 or 3 hours, most of it was waiting in line for the extremely short interview.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UPS in July 2014.

Took tour of facility. Went back for interview with HR took about 5 minutes before they gave me the verbal offer. Overall extremely easy and enjoyable. They do interviews for the overnight shift at that time so 11pm is when you start.

Interview Questions
    • They mentioned that I may want to wait about 30 days and start circulating my resume to potentially be able to progress from inside the company. They were worried that I was over qualified for the position.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UPS.

Asked questions, explained position, salary, benefits and hours. Explained company culture, which is a lie. Signed forms, I9, gave drivers license. Asked what my previous jobs were and what I did. Asked why I wanted to work at UPS. (They do offer a good service).

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coralville, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coralville, IA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at UPS in June 2014.

Was very straight forward. After online application, was called and email regarding a job visit to discuss job details. Arrived early morning to group interview. Took a quick tour and had individual interview. Had a couple of days to decide if the job was for me or not.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked if the work hours bothered me or not (3am-8:30am). Difficult to answer because wasn't sure of myself.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at UPS in June 2014.

So I applied on May 2014 for a PT-Package Handler position in the Ontario AirHub in California and it was the worst experience I have ever had when applying for a job. I checked every day after I applied to see when the next orientation meeting was because there are certain days when they open up the list for people to sign-up for it and when it reaches the limit of applicants, it closes and you have to wait another week or so for another orientation opening. Oh, and without that orientation you cannot be offered a position, and attending these meeting does not guarantee a position either. I was lucky enough to one day check and randomly found an open orientation meeting for the day after. So basically, you need to be 100% committed and open every and any day of the week if you want this job. Yes, UPS Package Handler positions think they are so important and such an irresistible job position that you have to be checking every day for these openings and they open randomly without any notice.

After being able to get an opening spot, you attend the orientation meeting where they explain to you all the logistics of the job. What to expect, pay, benefits and they warn you over and over how stressful and heavy work load this job requires. When I got to the orientation I found out they were only looking for one specific time schedule only and unfortunately, I wasn't available for that time. So this was annoying enough already. When you apply online you expect for that time to be available when you go in for orientation but it isn't. By the way, there are only certain time shifts you can apply to and you work anywhere in between those hours and you're stuck like that for 6 months so pick wisely. So for example, if you pick morning shift which is, 4am to like 9am you can work from 5-8am. If you pick mid shift it's from like 12-5pm and twilight from like 7-1am and you can work either 3-4-5 hours a day randomly every day and week.

So continuing on with my experience, a week later I attended another of these orientations and guess what? They were hiring for my available time! So what the heck right? A week before they weren't and now they did?? Give me a break! So I had a mini interview with one of the recruiters, they asked me some general questions like: what time could I work? Can I lift 70lbs on my own? Etc. So the lady told me that they were gonna run a background check on me and when it cleared (which would take about 48-72 hrs) they would give me a call so I can start training (pretty much hired). So as expected, I got my copy of my background check cleared and waited about 2 weeks and got no call from them yet. Oh and by the way, the Ontario AirHub does not have a HR number so I had to go in person to check on my status because at the time I was still interested in the position. I talked to the same lady that interviewed me and she said I had to wait and she couldn't do anything. And I mean, I heard from other people that have gotten hired that if you show interest and are insistent that you really want this job they would hire you immediately because they need people and they want people that really want the job. But I guess in my case all I could do is wait. Uh huh, like if I had all the time and money to rely on one job only and not look other options elsewhere. I had bills to pay and the need of a job just like everybody else!

Anyways, so I thought my "nice" little adventure with UPS Package Handler position was over until I got a call from a recruiter in September 2014, so 4 months later to see if I was still interested. By this time I had already found two jobs that payed me way more than just $10 an hour and without killing myself and inhaling dust over oxygen in my lungs. I was surprised and laughed in a 'wow! Really?' way and for my own personal satisfaction I told him: "You know what? I've been desperately seeking to get a position with UPS, went twice to personally talk to the recruiters and ask for a job, but now you call me 4 months later and expect me to be patiently awaiting and available for 'the job position of my life' (sarcastically speaking)? Well no, I am not interested anymore because I have two much better jobs. Thank you very much". And I hung up.

Well I hope this long detailed anecdote yet filled with important information help any of you out there that is thinking of getting a position here specifically. Again, this was my own personal anecdote and by no means I am saying it happens to everyone. But think about it a lot before you commit to make a decision. I hope this helped and influenced you and your future decision.

Interview Questions
    • Can you lift 70lbs on your own? When can you work? Tell me a time where you were in a stressful work environment and how did you handle it?   View Answer

It was way too late. I had found other better jobs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS.

Pretty straight forward, they wanted to make sure i could hangle the physical work, asked if i played sports in school ect. And wanted to make sure my school schedule allowed me to be there everyday. They do run a background check so as long as your clear there its not a difficult job to get.

Interview Questions
    • "You dont make much money at UPS, so why do you want to work here"   Answer Question

Part-time Package Handler Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UPS.

The HR personnel was very helpful. He walked us through the the job, what we are expected to do, what others have done in the past that made them successful and what we could do to lose the job immediately. There were quite a few people there and he took interviews of people individually.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not bad at all. The question that got me was whether I would be able to commit to working there for a full year, as I was only looking to work the summer.   Answer Question

Like I have mentioned before, not being able to commit for a year, which would give me a negative rehire status.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burtonsville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burtonsville, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Applied online. At the end off the app, you pick your tour date. There are 3 steps on 3 different days (Tour, 1st Interview, 2nd Interview). All three days you are with a group of others. Everyone is interviewed individually.

None. Union rate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Applied online. After 2 weeks, I was emailed to come to a information session. First interview was a group information session about what to expect if hired. Was about 20 people there and we were called 1 by 1 for a very short interview. The interview was 4 questions asking: was I able to lift 70 pounds, how much exercise do I get, am I willing to work for 10/hour, will I be able to make it to work on time everyday. Second interview was a tour of the facility with about 4 other people. I was asked the same questions to reassure I still wanted to work there after touring the facility. Was contacted about 3 weeks later to start.