UPS Seasonal Driver Helper Interview Questions

1.3

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UPS in December 2013.

This past Christmas (2013) was crazy in this area. They needed help badly. I didn't know you could apply as early as SEPTEMBER until someone told me that. Go ahead and do this. You fill out an app online, wait for them to call and then go to the information meeting. Then they do a background check, short interview, and you show up for an orientation. They have several times available.

Interview Questions
  • 1) I had a gentleman constantly shipping things from another country. He refused to wrap the packages well & they kept coming slowly. I had to gently tell him to rewrap them.

2) The whole receiving terminal shut down twice this season because of ice and snow, in this area. Consequently, many packages were late (although I was blessed that this didn't happen much in the delivery area I was in). One man was angry and wanted me to take the package back. I kindly explained why it was late and told him how sorry I was and took it back. UPS is good about those things.

3) HEAVY LIFTING! It was apparently appropriate to ask the receiver of the package to help you. I hated doing this, but I am a woman and had a man receiving a STOVE up 3 flights of stairs. I wish they would invent or maybe I could invent something that would help get stuff like this upstairs.

4) Security. I cannot tell you how many times idiots wondered what I was doing when I had a dolly, a UPS uniform and a truck a few yards away from me with UPS emblazoned on it! People need to check their paranoia.
      Answer Question

I am retired, too old to constantly lift boxes/packages in a warehouse. 13 years ago this would have been great but now I am just too old. I know there are kids who need the jobs and can do them.

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Seasonal Driver Helper Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UPS.

Process took 3 days, I was called in, they described the job then had us fill out the paperwork and told us when orientation was

Interview Questions
    • No questions other than do you have winter clothing work boots and can you work.   Answer Question
    None

Driver Helper - Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middleburg Heights, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middleburg Heights, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UPS in December 2013.

I applied online. After applying you are able to choose from a list of interview dates to come in for a group interview. Once you select a date, show up and they will go over the job with your group. UPS accepts almost everybody if you pass the background check. They will inform you of the difficulty of the job and then speak to you one on one to make sure you know your training date and pant and jacket size. Training takes place and a different date which mainly goes over safety.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because it is seasonal work, they have plenty of people to fill your shoes, and they are a union.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied online – interviewed at UPS in December 2013.

HR person spent more time with me than others because I was over qualified for the position and he was interested in my background. With a college degree in Marketing & Management. he told me that "I could probably run this place." They hired everybody who passed their background check for this Temp seasonal position.

Interview Questions
    Nothing was negotiable. A flat $8.50 per hr wage and time & a half over 8 hrs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waldorf, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waldorf, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UPS in November 2013.

The hiring and interview process was not difficult, but it was unnecessarily cumbersome and drawn-out.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UPS in November 2013.

Phone Interview. Basic Questions. Easy

Interview Questions
    • Can you drive an hour and fifteen minutes tomorrow to start?   View Answer
    easy

Seasonal Driver Helper Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UPS in November 2013.

very basic...just follow company appearance guidelines and safety procedures...be prompt

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UPS in October 2013.

This is what I learned from my experience Part I of II:

Time: 9:00am promptly following w/ a 30 minute orientation of what is expected from you beginning the 16th of November and ending December 30th.

Orientation: entailing you will not meet at the HR headquarters/truck parking lot; you will receive notice three hours prior to meeting at a safe environment parking lot (Target, Kohl's, Grocery Store,etc). You begin on-hands training for only 3-4 hrs/day then eventually begin working 8 hour shifts with your specific driver. (Thanksgiving) MUST BE PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY PREPARED to jump OFF and ON the truck HUSTLING every 30 seconds (literally) to deliver a MINIMUM of 300 packages per shift!

Interview: One question asking why your interested in working for UPS. Afterwards, you hand your interviewer your SSN card or Birth Certificate and your Driver's License or State ID so they can type the needed information into the Database. (Basically, she/he is setting up how you will receive your weekly income of $9.50)

Conclusion: The individual that interviewed you will take you to where their computers are located to fill out the remaining portion. (your W-2 Forms/Tax Information) You will your e-mail address and password so please remember ahead of time.

Afterwards, I was notified I will receive a phone call for Part II, which is the Hands-on Training and drug test.

P.S.: some were underdressed as if they just rolled out of bed and one individual was over dressed with a suit and tie. I would recommend business CASUAL attire.
    Women: Black or Brown dress pants, black closed toe shoes (no heels) and a nice SOLID blouse and cardigan. (white, black, navy, grey or dark purple) Very LIGHT makeup, jewelry AND perfume.
    Men: black or tan dress pants, black closed toe shoes (no need for dress shoes) and a neat SOLID colored polo and sweater. (White, Black, Brown, or Grey)

Of course NO visible tattoos and piercings! Remember, even though it may be a seasonal opportunity to work for UPS, you have to respect the company's policy and regulation to the highest extent as if you were hired for a permanent position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bucyrus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bucyrus, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS in October 2013.

Applied online. As soon as the application was finished, an initial group interview was scheduled the next day. The group was about 8-10 people and started out with an overview of both driver and driver helper positions. After the overview, one-on-one interviews began. Each person was called up name by name and the interview lasted no more than 10 minutes. Typical questions were asked such as experience, why you picked to apply at UPS, any disabilities and to my knowledge, just about anyone who applies has a good chance at receiving a job. (Especially if it's seasonal.)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online – interviewed at UPS in October 2013.

Group interview. If you're physically able to carry a 20lb package and don't look like you came to the group interview drunk, they'll hire you. They don't drug test, they let you know at the beginning of the interview that you will only be employed seasonally until Christmas Eve, and that it will probably be one of the more physical jobs that you'll ever have because you're getting in and out of a UPS truck and running a package to a front door 300+ times in an eight hour shift. After doing the job, I can say that it really is not difficult at all, and if you are matched up with a driver that you can relate well with, then the day goes by really fast since it becomes really fun and you're always doing something. The one thing to keep in mind is that if you want to ever get a different position within UPS, that you pretty much HAVE to start at the driver helper level and complete the work period to even be considered for a manager or any other position, so it's a way to get your foot in the door. Wages for actual salaried truck/delivery drivers are as follows: 1st year=$17/hr, 2nd year=$20/hr, & 3rd year=$34/hr. So by your third year your wage doubles from 17 to 34 per hour.

Wage is non-negotiable