URS Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.5

Administrative Assistant- Atlanta, GA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in May 2013 for an Administrative position. We set up a phone interview and it went really well. I did my research on the company and had really great questions to ask the Recruiter. She asked questions like had I heard of the company, did I know the type of services they provided, etc. She stated that it would take about two weeks to know whether or not they would like to move forward. Two months later, I was contacted by a HR Manager who scheduled an additional phone interview. When we talked, I could barely hear what she was saying because her dogs were barking. I was already prepared for the interview and I answered every question right on cue. A few days later, she called me in for a face to face interview. When I got there, she escorted me to her office. I had worked in the adjacent building so I was familiar with the area and structure of the architecture. Very nice area. However, the Recruiter seemed disoriented and was constantly interrupted by staff. She asked about three or four questions that asked to describe a situation where there was conflict that you had with a co-worker, how would you handle it? I told her over and over that I did not have conflicts in my office. It was all males and they didn't bother me. However, after that, she told me that three Admins had recently quit. This was a red flag. But, needless to say, this whole situation and the interview, etc., was a big disappointment.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle office conflicts? How did you handle conflicts with co-workers.   1 Answer

Engineer V Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation in June 2013.

Interview

Process started with an email screen from HR reaffirming minimum qualifications. A couple weeks later there was a phone screen with a supervising discipline engineer that covered basic work history and skills with no tough questions. A week or so later was an in-office interview that initially had about 5 people on the itinerary but only 3 were available at the time. These people included the department manager and a couple other discipline engineer manager types. The level of technical questioning from the section manager was higher than I expected as he went into detail about specific design applications and software. I was even questioned about which professors I had in college despite that being over 10 years ago. No behavioral questions. Everything went well. Unfortunately the position was put on hold shortly thereafter and it took another 5 months or so before it was posted again and offered the position. Being eager to take the job it seemed to require a lot of effort on my part to maintain contact with them over a long period of time in order to get in but I suppose it was worth it.

Interview Questions

• If you did not take a college course in this subject how are you qualified to do the work and understand what is going on? This requires a high level of proof to show your work history has sufficiently trained you in lieu of the coursework.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary offer was detailed to show at what percent of the median for that title based on skills and experience coming in. They seemed resistant to a counter offer but I tried anyways and was able to get 3% more.

Planning & Scheduling Analyst II Interview

Interview

Landing a phone interview is more about who you know than your credentials. Phone interview leads to in person interview with hiring manager and human resources manager. Negotiate your offer at least 5% because raises & promotions are slow your first year.

Water Resources Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at URS Corporation (Hunt Valley, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was called within two days to schedule an interview by the end of the week (so they could finish the interviews for the opening). I interviewed for an Aviation Design position and Water Resources position in the Hunt Valley, MD office. I waited three weeks to be emailed that I was not selected for either position. Approximately one week later I was contacted and offered the Water Resources Engineer position. After negotiating with HR for a week, I declined the offer.

Interview Questions

• Very different interview style, no formal questions were asked like a typical interview.   Answer Question

They did not want to budge on the salary, which was a significant cut, especially once I factored in other options I receive such as additional sick days, bonuses, cost of living adjustment, and annual raises with my current employer.

Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at URS Corporation (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Two interviews - first by phone with IT Manager for that division. Then with hiring manager for the IT Department and Vice President of division in person. Small, cozy office. Kind employees all around. Informal interview based on my experience and my expectations of the job; they told me what the job entailed, salary and benefits, and that was it. About 30 mins or so.

Interview Questions

• None - they asked how I would rate myself on different MS Word programs. None of the usual 'throw me off my game' or 'pin me to the chair' questions many companies employ these days.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a contract so all salary and benefits are set -no negotiation is possible for government contracts.

EIT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at URS Corporation.

Interview

Interviewed by 9 different people of different rankings. They wanted asked my career goals and about my school curriculum. I had to give a 15 min technical presentation before lunch. The interview process seemed overwhelming at first but I realized it was more relaxed and a way for me to get a full picture on the range of tasks the office does.

Interview Questions

• I was asked by 9 different people to ask questions. It was difficult to keep finding new things to ask questions on.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at URS Corporation.

Interview

Got a call from HR to come to interview with project manager. Another day interview with vice president.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging political situation that has happened to you in your career?   Answer Question
    • What did your previous boss best and worst?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation (Denver, CO).

Interview

HR communication was terrible. Took forever to get an offer. I found out that many people were leaving. Revolving door of employees. Not a good explanation of the position vs. what it was when I worked there. The group was dysfunctional and needed lots of work. Management was not too interested in that.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Ask for money up front because raises are not good. Raises did not meet cost of living. Benefits were very expensive. Seems like the burden is shifted to the employee to minimize cost to the company. Noticed the morale was very low after I started working there as employees were unhappy about raises after the division did well the previous year.

Entry-Level Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation (Austin, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

I had a first informal lunch meeting with two employees who told me more about URS and the position available. This allowed them to get to know me on a personal level and to see if I was interested in the job. After a couple of weeks, I was called in for an on-site interview in which I would be interviewed by several personnel of the office that was hiring. This interview took all day and consisted of a technical presentation. The presentation could be of previous research or work and there was a short Q&A. The people at URS were very friendly and I enjoyed speaking to many of the employees

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions. They just asked you typical questions to get to know you better.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at URS Corporation (Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview two weeks after submitting my resume and application.
    The interviewer was very pleasant, outlined the job carefully, interacted with me very well. He allowed me to meet with the person who previously held the position for a better perspective. The offices are beautiful, and the expectations of the position were covered well.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle the situation if I was on a hard deadline and someone I support brought a project to me to be placed ahead of what I was working on.   1 Answer