URS Graduate Civil Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at URS in January 2011.

The interview started with on campus recruiting. I first attended a voluntary information session with about 50 other candidates (although this included multiple disciplines, as recruiters were hiring for several different positions). The next day I had a 30 minute on campus interview with the recruiter specific to my discipline. This interview was pretty basic and didn't contain any technical questions as I recall. After 2-3 weeks I was contacted for an office interview. The office interview was much more involved than the on campus interview and lasted nearly a whole work day. I was taken out for breakfast and lunch, had several 30 minute interviews, and gave a 20-minute technical presentation (I knew about he presentation before the interview and was given the option for a non-technical topic). Each interview or meal was with someone different so a lot of the questions and general topics of conversation overlapped. Overall, it was a good interview process in my opinion, although I left pretty exhausted from the shear length.

Interview Questions
  • All of the interview questions were pretty standard, but I had some questions after my presentation that were technical (in regards to my topic) that made me a little flustered.   View Answers (2)
The final office interview was with the department head and we discussed salary and benefits at the end of the interview. I told him my expected salary at that time but was not offered the job/salary until 3 weeks later. This conversation was over the phone and no negotiations occurred at that time.

Other Interview Reviews for URS

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at URS in January 2014.

I applied online by giving my CV and answered a question. After about 3 months I had a phone interview based on competency questions and my CV. I passed the phone interview and now I got an assessment centre on the way.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

interviewed at URS in June 2012.

After application was made, a telephone call form HR inviting for interview after almost 3 months of making application. Interview comprised competency questions around teamworking and collaborations. Also some technical questions were asked. I thought I did very well in all. But I was called up to advise my experience was not enough for the role.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at URS in February 2012.

I have first received a phone interview that basically went over my resume. I have then being invited to their office in chesterfield where i had one day of exercises and interviews

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at URS in November 2011.

Interaction started with on campus recruiting. They were conducting interviews for multiple positions, with lots of different majors.

They had an info session the day before the interview where they covered a lot of the basics about the company, I guess to eliminate some of the basic questions we might have during the interview so they had more time to learn about us.

The interview the next day was pretty typical on-campus-interview stuff. Strictly behavioral, typical questions about class projects, prior work experience, group work, etc. The recruiter said he'd get back to me regarding whether or not I'd receive a second round interview within two weeks.

The recruiter emailed me after a week letting me know I'd gotten a second round interview where I'd do an office visit. We set up a date for three weeks later.

The second round interview consisted of seven 1:1 interviews with a variety of people within the company. Since I was applying for a general Civil position, I met individually with three department heads for different divisions within the office (Hydraulics/Hydrology, Water Infrastructure, and Transportation).

I also met with a couple of engineers that had been in industry for 10-12 years, and a couple of engineers who'd been there for 3-4 years. Each interview was basically the same, which made it easier throughout the day since they would often ask similar questions.

There was also a technical/semi-technical presentation portion in which all of the people that had/would interview me throughout the day watched as I gave a presentation for a project I'd worked on in one of my senior level classes. There was a 30 minute time slot for presentation/Q&A. It wasn't bad. Nobody really grilled me on anything.

After lunch with a couple of the most recent hires, I finished up the 1:1 interviews before meeting with HR at the end of the day to discuss insurance/benefits.

A couple of weeks later one of the department heads called me and told me that they'd be extending an offer. He asked for a start date and salary expectations.

Seven 1:1 interviews, lunch, and a presentation seemed really overwhelming when I got the itinerary for the interview a couple of weeks before, but honestly it really wasn't bad. After two interviews I'd basically heard every question that anyone else ended up asking me, and once that anxiety was gone it was like having normal conversations with people.

And my uncle pointed out to me afterwards that if a company is going to invest the time and resources into such a thorough second round interview, you're probably already in pretty good shape.

I think the second round interview style used is great because it gave me a chance to interact with people at a variety of stages in their career and gave me more of a chance to see the types of people I'd be working with. When choosing between offers that I received, I ultimately chose URS because I felt like I knew more about what I was getting myself into than another company in which I'd just interviewed with one department head.

Interview Questions
    • How well are you able to learn new software packages?   Answer Question
    • What are your three greatest strengths and your one biggest weakness.   View Answer
    • Describe how you behave in group projects.   View Answer
    When asked about salary requirements, I just threw out the average for recent Civil engineering grads from my university. It was a little higher than the average listed salary on glassdoor.com, which was 55k.

When they sent me the offer, it actually ended up being a couple of hundred dollars higher than the number I'd given them.

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!