URS a company of AECOM Interview Questions

2.5

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in August 2012.

Basic in-person interview with junior member of the team.
    got call back for second interview with department head.

everyone was very friendly and most questions are behavioral based.
    not too much technical questions

Interview Questions
    tried to negotiate for higher salary, was not successful. accept as it is

Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in August 2012.

Contacted by recruiter to inquire interest. Two face to face interviews and then an offer was sent.

Interview Questions
    • Nothings out of the ordinary. Mostly technical questions about scheduling and the software being used.   Answer Question
    Didn't really work one since the offer seemed very competitve.

Piping Design Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in August 2012.

Very easy and relaxed. Spoke with a human resources rep. for a while then two different managers within the group I was interviewing for. There were not any gotcha type questions. We chatted for about 30-45 minutes and that was it. Got a call on my way home offering me the position.

No negotiation really, they ofered what I was asking for.

Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, MD

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in July 2012.

Applied to the Huntsville, MD branch and one month later I was contacted by an HR lady who set up a phone interview with a senior mechanical engineer at the company. The mechanical engineer called me, explained company operations, and asked me in a few ways if I was capable of and interested in the job. At no point was I asked behavioral questions. Afterwards, they scheduled a . They spent most of their time pitching the company and the job to me. I believe that the key to getting hired as an entry level employee at URS is to 1) have above a 3.0 gpa in engineering, 2) some experience in HVAC and pipes, and 3) be willing to take less money than you would be offered at most other engineering companies (they offered me 50k or possibly even a little less per year to start). I told them that I wanted more than anything to work for their company, but that I had another offer for considerably more money and that the only way I could consider an offer from them is if they could make an offer midway in between their offer and the other one that I received (would have been about 9k more). They absolutely refused to pay anymore than 50k and said that was the most amount of money that they would have offered because "it wouldn't be fair to the last engineer," who they said they hired for 50k. I never heard back from them after the in person interview. MORAL OF THE STORY, if you are a recent ME/CE grad and really want a job at URS (actually, I really didn't), DO NOT ask for more money.

Interview Questions
    • Their interview style was very unexpected in general (because they did not ask any typical interview questions). They never made me prove myself as a good interviewee. The senior level engineer was very informal on the phone about his questions and did not give me many of opportunities to share my knowledge (which could be good for some people). In fact, most of the questions required yes or no answers (e.g. question: "Do you understand fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and thermodynamics"... my answer: "yes"). Yes or no answers with limited explanations of what I actually knew were good enough to get an in-person interview. At the in person interview they did not ask me anything except how much money I wanted; again, they spent their time pitching the company to me, not asking questions.   Answer Question

Transportation Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in July 2012.

One-to-one interview. The director of the group introduced the duties of the position. The interview is more based on the previous technical experience and skills on the resume. No behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • Just general questions about the experience.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Environmental Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in May 2012.

The entire interview process took about 6 hours from start to finish. It was a series of 4 one-on-one 30 minute interviews, with a 30 minute presentation by HR regarding benefits, as well as a 30 minute presentation you gave to a small group (can vary between 6-12, depending on who can make it). This presentation can be about anything, and is designed as a way to evaluate your communication and speaking skills, ability to convey information, and simply a way to get to know you. I don't want to say it's informal, but it certainly wasn't completely rigid, either. I have to believe the closer you can align your presentation topic to your field of work, the better. After the presentation, I was taken out to lunch by two employees. This is an opportunity for them to get to know you, and also a great time to ask questions yourself. Everyone was really nice, and completely aware I was repeating myself a lot.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't an unexpected or difficult question. They were much more interested in getting to know me.   Answer Question
    Pretty minimal; they gave me a salary range, told me to pick a salary, and then they made a counteroffer, which I accepted. If given a range, I'd start out with an upper middle number, and then negotiate from there.

Multiple Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at URS a company of AECOM in May 2012.

I have now interviewed 3 times with this company for 2 positions in 2 offices in my area. For the first, I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview, then contacted for an in person interview. Had to fill out their form with all of my resume information a couple days ahead of time, then had the interview. Interviewer said that the HR person would contact me in the next week to get an overview of the benefits. HR did not call, so I contacted person with whom I interviewed. I received an apology and was told that they wanted me to interview with 2 project managers about a particular position on a project. That interview happened approximately 2 weeks later. At that time, I also met with the HR person regarding benefits. After 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I called the HR person with whom I met (who did not call me back), and emailed the HR person who originally contacted me 6-8 weeks previous. After a couple days, I was informed that the positions for which I was being considered were on hold as the projects were pushed to Q1, Q2 2013.

However, the positions are still showing up as advertised.

Project Controls Intern III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in May 2012.

1) HR called to inform interest in resume submitted and scheduled phone interview.
    2) Phone interview conducted was informal. Mainly interested in work ethic as the resume spoke for itself. Strong motivation and drive appears to be very important, as it should be. No technical questions inquired. Very personable and relaxing conversation.
    3) Offer extended and accepted verbally after review.
    4) Offer extended and acccepted via internet. Drug test and pre-employment forms necessary.
    5) TBD at internship which has yet to begin.

Interview Questions
    The offer was very reasonable and I did not expect more or less.

Finance/Contracting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in April 2012.

I was contacted by phone a couple weeks after I put my application in. The HR representative was very kind and asked about my application and why I was interested in the company/position. After a very brief answer she asked me if I could schedule to come in for an interview in the next few days.

I then went in for the interview which consisted of the people in the department I would be working with. It was a fairly easy interview where I was able to steer the conversation into my attributes and talk about my resume. They asked me questions about organizations that I am involved with and basically asked me to run down my resume. Also asked why I wanted to be an intern there, which is a pretty basic question.

It was good to demonstrate knowledge about what the company does and ask questions that helped define what the companies culture was like and a better description of what I would be doing there. There were other candidates lined up to interview before and after mine, so make sure you try to stand out. Overall was a good atmosphere during the interview, I suggest answering their questions with a smile and being confident about your answers.

About 2-3 weeks went by without me hearing anything, but got the offer.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

The process took a dayinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in April 2012.

Everyone was nice, no quiz questions or anything. I talked to three different people, the HR manager, Engineering Manager, and an Engineer. Each interview was around 20-30 minutes long, and was more getting to see how you would fit in at the company rather than what you knew. Large office.