US Agency for International Development

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.2

Public Health Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Agency for International Development.

Hired through the Global Health Fellows Program. Contacted for initial phone interview by GHFP [recruiter]. Followed by in-person meeting with project team [4-5 persons]. This was an intensive interview with staff asking a number of questions from personal interests in the field to specific technical knowledge. Included a number of scene setters/scenarios and "what would you do in....". Strong focus on ability to negotiate and/or mediate. Staff in the room ranged from Senior Management to Program Assistants.
    Received offer dependent on security clearance [this took 2-3 months to acquire].

Interview Questions
    • This was your typical interview - background, experience, fit, goals and future objectives, expected contributions, knowledge of the field.   Answer Question
    Negotiations limited and based on GHFP Technical Advisor level. i.e. a I, II, III or IV.

Disaster Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Agency for International Development in June 2014.

You had to submit a resume and written response to Quality Ranking Factors online. The resume had, of course, to be in the US Government format. About a month later they reached out and invited you to an interview (you had a choice of in person or on the phone group interviews). After that, it was another three weeks while they reached out and checked your references. It was not a simple reference check, each person you specified was sent a questionnaire format to which they had to give extensive answers. They also checked with each of my previous supervisors (although that was more of a truncated check).

Interview Questions
    • Based on your understanding of the job description, what is the thing you are most looking forward to doing in this job, and what is the thing you are least looking forward to doing in this job.   Answer Question

Education Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Agency for International Development.

I had my first interview for this role four weeks ago with a panel of 3 USAID employees. I haven't heard back either yes or no and the HR contact says the panel has not yet made a decision about who will go into the second round of interviews. In the interview they did let me know that the hiring process would be at least 8 weeks so I am still waiting for word about a second interview or offer.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of when you thought outside the box.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Contractor-- Engility/IRG. Very fast, efficient interview process. Only 1 interview. Shady negotiations with the contractor. Lowball salary offer at first, but quickly moved up. This contractor does not have good benefits for employees.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be able to perform admin work without being frustrated given a substantive background.   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate a higher salary as a contractor

Administrative Program Assistant Interview

panel interview with 4-5 people
    25-30 minutes long
    around 15 questions total asked with 1-2 minute response time

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Agency for International Development in September 2013.

Applied via USAJOBs. A few weeks later HR called me for a preliminary interview. After that, the team that was hiring called and conducted the interview on the phone. A few days later I had a conditional offer of employment.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at US Agency for International Development.

Months after submitting my resume, I was invited to DC for a face-to-face interview. It consisted of a writing assignment, a group activity and an interview panel. It took less than 4 hours, was pretty straightforward. Reviewing technical information like epi data just so that you know what is the range of "Normal" is helpful. Also, being aware of USAID priorities may help and writing persuasively.

Interview Questions
    • We are not supposed to share the questions. I would say that the questions are vague enough for you to either shine or sink yourself based on the examples you chose to give.   Answer Question

You can't learn anything about your future in the foreign service until you are IN the foreign service.

Technical Advisor I, II Or III Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Agency for International Development.

Try not to schedule your interviews around noon if your interview will be held at the Ronald Reagan Buildiing. You are required to go through 3 security checkpoints and that can take from 5-15 minutes.

First round- usually conducted in-person if you live in DC or most candidates are locally based. If 2 or more candidates are outside DC, then it will be done via teleconference or skype

Second round- all interviews are conducted in-person. Some candidates are based overseas so they can be flown in at the company's expense.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral and technical question. Always bring your personality.   Answer Question
    They request to see my current paystub but we both felt comfortable with the final amount. ALWAYS ALWAYS NEGOTIATE.

Human Resources Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at US Agency for International Development in January 2013.

You are given a panel interview.

M&E Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Agency for International Development in January 2012.

For a locally-sourced PSC position. The interview panel each conducted several questions, which they are required to ask of all interviewees, some in English and some in the local language. Some were typical questions, how do you work with a team, etc. Because this position is rather technical, they also asked several technical questions about types of programs I liked to use, my experience with statistics, data analysis, etc. Most people on the panel were also M&E Specialists.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult, just because it's always hard to answer, but, what was your biggest professional failure.   View Answer
    Hard to negotiate a lot with USAID coming in....the base GS level is fixed in the solicitation, but you can negotiate a bit on the steps. The paperwork involved wasn't horrible, because it was a local, not international, position, but it still took some work. The biggest time lag was waiting for the security clearance, which took approximately 2 months.