US Agricultural Research Service

2.5

Post Doc, Biofuels Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyndmoor, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyndmoor, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service.

Initial phone interview with common behavioral questions. Fast follow up for an on-site interview and eventually an offer. The on-site was shorter than what you would expect for a bigger company. Typically for a larger company, the interview process is 2 days, but this position required a 1 day interview that ended at 3 PM. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked technical questions on their reactor setup.   View Answer

I was looking for permanent placement, but this particular position didn't lead to something permament.

Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in April 2014.

Seems the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. We in the field have told the staff what is needed but the message seems to never get up the chain of command. Next time we have a survey we have to ask the same question when the answer were reported in previous surveys.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service.

Enjoyed the hiring and interview process, but then my supervisor who hired me soon left the agency.

Program Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in August 2013.

Not a typical government hiring process. Non-competitive eligibility hiring process...very quick and responsive HR team. I had one interview with three people from the team and a writing test the same day. Was contacted by the HR team with the offer and started very quickly after that since I already had a previous clearance to work with the federal govt.

Forestry Tech Interview

A bit difficult, many technical questions regarding the science of forestry.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were lost in the forest without any water?   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation there are pay scales.

Pathways Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Agricultural Research Service.

USDA came to my school to recruit for their Pathways Internship. The recruiters walked everyone that attended the information session through the tedious application process on usajobs.gov. It took three months for them to contact me back for an interview. The interview was laid back and lasted 30 minutes because I asked a lot of questions. Two months later I was offered the position contingent upon fingerprint results and a Background Investigation. Although the process is long, Human Resource contacted me every few weeks to to update me on where they were at in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They pay according to GS grade/scale/level.

Office Automation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in April 2012.

There was one interview.The location of the office was difficult to find as it is like a maze.There were three people who interviewed me and asked me all sorts of questions.Some of the questions included were how I deal with stress and prioritizing work,planning the work day.

Interview Questions
    • How do I deal with stress and prioritizing the work load?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robinsville, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robinsville, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in April 2012.

First a phone call then a group interview. They ask you 7-8 questions that were basically a checklist. They ask about your experience and skills. Very easy interview. Very easy process, just takes a long time to hear back from them.

Everything was told to me no negotiation needed

Public Affairs Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in November 2011.

interview was with a panel. there were two seperate interview quesitons. asked the basic questions. situaiton behavioral based questions. asked a little about experience. panel was nice. eays to talk to

Communications Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in May 2011.

Fairly easy. If you know the right people, as any DC job, you are able to get your foot in the door. Met with director and Administrators assistant, they were lovely. Got a call back for a follow-up. And was asked to joing the team after.

No negotiation. Based on GS level