US Agricultural Research Service Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.5

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in August 2015.

Interview

You call in to a telephone number and you are connected to 3 other people. The interview lasted 30 minutes and they asked a total of 5 questions. However, as we got more comfortable with each other one question led into another question.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time of how you handled a conflict? How do you deal with people of higher status   Answer Question

Post Doc, Biofuels Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wyndmoor, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Wyndmoor, PA).

Interview

Initial phone interview with common behavioral questions. Fast follow up for an on-site interview and eventually an offer. The on-site was shorter than what you would expect for a bigger company. Typically for a larger company, the interview process is 2 days, but this position required a 1 day interview that ended at 3 PM. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Was asked technical questions on their reactor setup.   1 Answer

I was looking for permanent placement, but this particular position didn't lead to something permament.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Davis, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

A five person panel was presented with one person missing. There were no name tags or placeholder to help keep everyone's name in order; the missing person turned out to be the hiring manager. They came an hour late so my interview was extended an additional half hour to compensate. This was definitely a red flag of things to come.

Interview Questions

• Did you have experience bringing an office back up to speed?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Interesting. I applied for a lower grade, yet received high marks in the interview and then received an offer for a higher grade on the spot.

Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Seems the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. We in the field have told the staff what is needed but the message seems to never get up the chain of command. Next time we have a survey we have to ask the same question when the answer were reported in previous surveys.

Interview Questions

• Why do you ask the same question.   1 Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Enjoyed the hiring and interview process, but then my supervisor who hired me soon left the agency.

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in August 2013.

Interview

Not a typical government hiring process. Non-competitive eligibility hiring process...very quick and responsive HR team. I had one interview with three people from the team and a writing test the same day. Was contacted by the HR team with the offer and started very quickly after that since I already had a previous clearance to work with the federal govt.

Forestry Tech Interview

Interview

A bit difficult, many technical questions regarding the science of forestry.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were lost in the forest without any water?   Answer Question

Negotiation

there is no negotiation there are pay scales.

Pathways Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service.

Interview

USDA came to my school to recruit for their Pathways Internship. The recruiters walked everyone that attended the information session through the tedious application process on usajobs.gov. It took three months for them to contact me back for an interview. The interview was laid back and lasted 30 minutes because I asked a lot of questions. Two months later I was offered the position contingent upon fingerprint results and a Background Investigation. Although the process is long, Human Resource contacted me every few weeks to to update me on where they were at in the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay motivated? Caffeine?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. They pay according to GS grade/scale/level.

Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in September 2012.

Interview

I got the interview for a high school internship program through my friend who was in the program the previous year. The man interviewing me was the head of the lab and he could speak english fairly well. I told him why I wanted to work for him and that I was willing to work for free so i was motivated to learn.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Saint Paul, MN) in June 2012.

Interview

I was applying for a pretty basic lab internship, and after emailing a lab manager I was invited to come in for an interview a few days later. Met with one of the lab managers, had a pretty quick chat about my past lab experience, and then I was hired on the spot. I interviewed in the middle of the Summer so it's likely that they were understaffed and willing to take pretty much anyone, but that worked out fine for me.