US Air Force

Relevance Date Difficulty

Commandant Interview

Commandant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Air Force in September 2010.

Interview Details – Vacancy posted on web, I submitted a package by the posted deadline. I received an interview notification from HR within 6 business days of job close-out. I traveled to Washington, DC three weeks later and met a board of 7 senior members of the organization. Five business days after the interview, I received an informal phone call from the hiring manager (Commander) offering me the position.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions; no technical or detailed questions. The board asked standard, leadership/management and philosophical questions as well as a few, "tell us about a time when..." type questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my report date. Military pay and benefits are based upon a standard scale and are non-negotiable. They are also available to anyone interested on annual military pay charts. Investment and personal retirement planning is also standard. Health benefits are standard.

Vice Commander Interview

Vice Commander
Washington, DC

I interviewed at US Air Force in January 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring for Officer Training School candidates occurs at Recruiting Stations across America. Officers are required to have a Bachelor's degree at a minimum with a strong GPA (min of 3.0 with a 3.5 desired). The officer candidate's record should be impeccable and should not have any criminal history. Also, candidate must be in good physical shape (be able to run 1.5 miles in less than 12 mins and be able to 50 push ups and 50 sit ups).

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a leader in the USAF?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation. Military salaries are set by Congress.

Interpreter DTRA Interview

Interpreter DTRA
Fort Belvoir, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Air Force in April 2009.

Interview Details – 1. Contacting and Setting up the interview with the Recruiter
2. Arranging the time and place for the Personal Interview, and a Language Interview.
3. Arranging for 2 to 3 letters of recommendation from current and former superiors.
4. Have your last 7 to 10 years of performance reports.

Interview Question – What would you tell your Supervisor right away that he needs to watch out for, with regards to you, personally?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At first, it was a hearty yes, then there was a military paperwork problem, and they thought I might not be able to do the assignment, I thanked them for the incredible opportunity just to do the interviews, and meet so many people. A week later, I was called back, and give the great news, they just couldn't live without me. They had gone to bat for me, both internally and externally, and they made the assignment happen. Wow. How could I say no?

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Air Force in April 2011.

Interview Details – Very cordial and laid back. The panel was composed of three people who all seemed to be interested in what I was saying. Very positive experience.

Interview Question – Where does AFA fit in to your career goals?   Answer Question

Worked for US Air Force? Contribute to the Community!