US Airways Interview Questions in Charlotte, NC

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.9

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at US Airways.

You'll go through a presentation and then you will have to introduce yourself yourself, follow the instructions that they give you. Don't go over the time. They want to see that you're comfortable standing up and talking in front of a group. Make sure on your downtime you talk to everybody and talk to all of the recruiters. Do not take your cell phone. Following the presentation you will do a group activity. I think they're looking to see how you work in a group setting. Don't be too bossy don't be too pushy but don't be too quiet either. Lunch will come out and then you'll have more time to socialize with everybody make sure your seen being social. Following lunch in HR person will come this is when they're making the cut. If your name is called most likely they're bringing you to the curb. If you want of the lucky people to stay after then you will go into a face-to-face interview and your offer will be given to you on the spot. Good luck! Remember smile smile smile smile be social talk to everybody.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing is really difficult just relax think about it and you'll be fine. If you're what they looking for then they will select you, remember a lot of really good people get turned down.   Answer Question

Recruitment/Interview: Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at US Airways in September 2014.

I just left the Recruitment/Interview Day for US Airways and felt I now, too, can add my experience. Before today, I've read every single persons input and applied it to my expectations....well if you have read others you'll see that there some order: introduction in front of large group of people, do seated/over reach, Survival activitiy....
    I guess the recruiters switched up the whole scheme of things for what ever reason.
    First off, every single recruiter was very nice and welcoming, not intimidating at all. Friendly and humble...
    So we went in, were sat in Cafeteria...and naturally we All started just being social towards eachother "where are yooou from? :) all the while the recruiters watched but as if they were just chillin' waiting for 'something'. SO we never did intros bc of THAT. They got to see if you were naturally friendly and engaging.
    Then we went into a conference room. Coffee/water refreshments. Asked to leave our things as they take us to do an exercise: sit and put on belt & then the over reach . Then back in room they THEY introduce themselves and show company video blah blah blah. Then heres what shocked me: one of the instructors tell you everything you need to know about what base they have: Philly, Pheonix, DC and NC- thats it! She tells you about Compensation and breaks it down, in conclusion she told us all the honest truth about being an FA, especially not in your hometown base, you have to commit to moving there if your not an hour away. And THE RECRUITERS GIVE YOU THE OPTION to leave if you feel you cant commit to the lifestyle change or stay...I left. Im from NYC and would prefer to be based by home. So please do not freak out about the process. Its fun. Everyone is cool---and dress code is not that strict. Just dress BUSINESS CASUAL look presentable and be friendly, its so easy with everyone, you wont have to force it and you dont get a fake vibe from anyone---im usually very hard and judgemental about things, but this experience wasn't a waste. Hope this eases some people's anxieties. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • How is everyone this mornin'? (Seriously) lol   View Answer

There was no base close to home and I refuse to relocate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at US Airways in August 2014.

I applied and was asked to give a video interview two days later. The video interview wasn't bad at all in my opinion it was pretty easy. They asked questions such as how do you handle a difficult co-worker? A couple of months later I was asked to attend a recruitment session in Charlotte,NC. I was prepared to give my 1 minute speech, wore my high heels for the reach test, they also wanted you to work in group for a simulated crash. The thing that surprised me most was they ask all the women to take off their shoes for the reach test. When I didn't pass the reach test I asked how far was the emergency equipment in the cabin? Both flight attendants pretty much ignored me. One FA said she's not sure how far back the equipment was. This response surprised me because in an emergency situation why would the equipment be so far back in the luggage cabin?? And in the year 2014 what is the need to ask women to take their shoes off?? Especially when they can wear high heels. I'm 4'11 and a 100 pounds, so I didn't think height would be an issue. I highly doubt in an emergency situation an FA will have their shoes off!!!. If height was a requirement then they should state that in the requirements. The reach test was what really upset me because I didn't even get a chance to go through the full interview process. I guess my word to the ladies is be prepared to take your shoes off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at US Airways in March 2014.

I was invited to interview in Charlotte, NC. It was a great experience and everyone was friendly and helpful. I met a lot of great people from all over the country! It started as a group interview, and they had us do a reach and jumpseat test. Then they gave us a plane crash scenario with a list of items to number most important to least. Then we watched a video about the merger with AA. Now it was the time to get up in front of everyone and introduce yourself, and what you think makes a good FA. (All in 60 seconds) I was so nervous, I started rambling about customer service and never made my point. I shouldn't have had any of the free Starbucks they offered us.. Now I know what NOT to do for my next interview!

Interview Questions
    • What quality do you think makes a good flight attendant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Airways.

I submitted my online application at the end of January and then completed the video interview about 2 weeks later. About a month later (Mid-March), I received an invitation to the recruitment event or in-person interview. I attended the March 21st interview, and here are the details:

1. I arrived to the Charlotte training center a little before 9:00am, was given a name tag and led to the dining hall where all the candidates were waiting. During that time, the recruiters went around and checked us all in. By the time all the candidates arrived, we were about 70 in total.
    2. They split us into 2 groups, had us drop off our stuff at our respective classroom and then led us to the airplane simulation room for the jumpseat and overhead bin tests.
    3. When we returned to the classrooms, the recruiters introduced themselves and gave a brief presentation on US Airways, the FA position and a video about the US Airways-American merger.
    4. Then, they had us make timed 1-minute introductions giving our name, where we were coming from and an response to the following question,"What 3 qualities should an exceptional flight attendant have?" They were pretty strict about timing (raising their hand or stopping people when the time was up), so it is important to rehearse your elevator speech ahead of time. It seems they preferred complete, thorough answers so as to assess how well we follow directions and express ourselves. I also recommend thanking US Airways for the opportunity and shouting out to fellow candidates, "Good Luck" or "Thanks for sharing in this crazy experience with me" just creates for a more supportive, fun environment.
    5. After introductions, we were divided into groups of 4-5 persons and given a plane crash scenario where we had to rank 12 items in terms of their use and aid for our survival. People tend to get nervous here and try to outshadow, talk over or direct the group; however, I recommend playing a more supportive or organizational role: emphasize priorities, keep the group on task, encourage input from everyone. I was by far not "leading" the group, so I just took the opportunities to show my engagement-second/compliment others' contributions, nod, actively engage during the follow-up explanation. I think ultimately that mattered more, how positively we engage with the other candidates and recruiters.
    6. After that activity, lunch was served and the recruiters all left, I suppose to deliberate! Lunch was really good-a few different salads to choose from. That was the first time actually that an airline (I have interviewed with 3 other airlines) ever served me lunch at an interview, which I thought was very nice and considerate.
    7. After lunch, the recruiters returned to the classrooms and announced that the interview had concluded, that everyone would have to leave now and that they'd get back to us within a week. Then, at the very end just as we began to pick up our things and head out, they said they needed a few individuals to stay for a bit longer to review paperwork. There were maybe 8-10 of us left in our classroom and I suspect another 8-10 left in the other classroom.
    8. After everyone left, they took us to other rooms to conduct the 1-on-1 interviews. The 1-on-1 interview was fairly intense and very much on par with the STAR method. They really want you to provide concrete and specific examples that touch on each of the STAR criteria (describing the situation, task, action and result). I highly recommend searching for sample FA interview questions and practicing answers using STAR to them. Have a good 3-4 work experiences/projects to reference in your answers. Here are some of the questions asked that I can remember...
    -Name a time you got into a conflict with a coworker. How did you resolve it?
    -Describe a time you learned a new process? How did you go about it?
    -Describe a time when you provided excellent customer service? Or describe excellent customer service.
    -Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge.
    -What is most and least appealing about the FA position?
    9. They then led us to another room to wait and told us that there would be another exercise. Slowly other candidates and all the recruiters trickled in. Once we were all there (there were about 12-15 of us maybe), they gave us the tentative offer letters and had us fill out paperwork, get finger-printed, etc.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience and the recruiters made it very exciting and fun. They get you really pumped about the job and company. My biggest piece of advice is to just stay turned on the whole time and have fun! No matter what the result, make the most of it, learn from it and tweak wherever you (I certainly have after 3 interviews), and make new friends!

Interview Questions
    • Really practice and rehearse your introduction and interview questions. Dress the part also! Since you will be held to a strict uniform policy as a FA, you should demonstrate that you are already capable of that.   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Airways in March 2014.

Applied online, received an email three weeks later offering me an interview. I flew to Charlotte and went through the process. It was exactly as previously said. First there was the reach test and jump seat test, then presentation of the company. A question and answer session after that. They broke us up; in groups for a survival scenario. After that we had lunch (disgusting) recruiters came in and dismissed everyone but those they needed " additional information " from. It was exactly as others have said. The recruiters were friendly, a few were maybe too enthusiastic but overall it was fine.

Interview Questions
    • There was no one on one interview so I was never asked personally a question.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

The hiring process that I just recently experienced was by far the most non personal interview I have been to and in my opinion a waste of time. HR sent all this paper work that you were told that you needed to fill out and told me what to expect in the f2f interview. Almost nothing that I was told that were were going to do was done. I had and early flight to get there by 9am. Once I got to the trainning center they took us straight to the simulations area to do the reach test and the jump seat test. After that were went back in the room and were giving and overview of the company and what to expect. The next step were to introduce ourselves tell where were from and what we think makes a good flight attendant. The next step was to split into groups and do a project about a crash and see what items were most important in order. after that we had lunch. once lunch was over were they let everyone go and told us that we would all get an email within 48 hours to let us know what the next step would be. Out of 50 people they only asked one lady to stay back and talk to HR. They did not even do the one on one interview that they said they would do nor did they even take the paperwork that they told us to fill out and bring with us. Overall I feel like it was a complete waste of my day and time. If they company knew that they were only going to hire one person they should have not invited so many people to the interview. And if the rest of us did not get the job they could have at least did us the courtesy of telling us the truth first instead of being very secretive and shaking our hands as we walked out smiling and telling us to watch our email. I was just very shocked at the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There were not difficult questions because we were not even given the opportunity to do the one on one interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Airways.

Applied then received a phone call for a brief phone interview. From there I was flown to Charlotte for an in-person group interview. They did group activities and observed our interactions with each other. There are several rounds, and after each round they pull people out and send them home. At the end there is a one-on-one interview. Dress professionally, speak professionally. Men - wear a suit. Women- wear a nice knee-length skirt, heels, and a dressy blouse. Focus on safety first, customer service second, and you "love of travel" last or not at all.

Interview Questions
    There are no negotiations. They offer the job and tell you the salary. Every aspect of compensation is negotiated by a union.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

I am a former flight attendant. It has been a while since I was in the airline industry. I am accustomed to putting on the smile and being friendly toward all people. I was invited to an interview process at Charlotte Recruitment Training Center. There were about 70 of us. We were taken to the facility and divided into two groups. The initial task given to us was to determine if we can reach the emergency equipment stored in an overhead bin and if we can fit into the jump-seat and fasten the seatbelt. We were asked to go before our group introduce ourselves and tell what in our opinion makes a great flight attendant within a one minute time frame. Some people were excellent in their speech presentation. Others were too nervous but managed to overcome to their obvious fear. Being confident I was called after someone that delivered his presentation like a comedian. While most of the characteristics were previously mentioned, I wanted to emphasis that the empathy that I learned as a flight attendant was something that I carried with me though out my life and it proved to be most beneficial. The last and final task was the group activity I have detailed below.

Interview Questions
    • The following task was presented as a "game". We were given a scenario whereby we were survivors of a plane crash in northern Canada. We were given 12 items that we were to use for survival and were told to list the items we would use in order of priority. I am a competitor and a gamer. My family plays a game called Mafia when we get together over the holidays. I lost my interview state of mind and became a Mafia player. Instead of realizing that the whole idea is not getting the items in order and winning the game, it is how you communicate and show yourself either a leader or a follower, compassionate and understanding.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

I had a phone interview, followed by a video interview. A week after that I was invited to do a face to face in charlotte. They fly you in and you do a group interview and activities. If they like you, they ask you to remain after the rest of the class is released.

Interview Questions
    • Standing in front of the group and introducing yourself   Answer Question

Worked for US Airways? Contribute to the Community!