US Airways Interview Questions & Reviews in Charlotte, NC

53 interviews

2.9

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at US Airways in March 2014.

I was invited to interview in Charlotte, NC. It was a great experience and everyone was friendly and helpful. I met a lot of great people from all over the country! It started as a group interview, and they had us do a reach and jumpseat test. Then they gave us a plane crash scenario with a list of items to number most important to least. Then we watched a video about the merger with AA. Now it was the time to get up in front of everyone and introduce yourself, and what you think makes a good FA. (All in 60 seconds) I was so nervous, I started rambling about customer service and never made my point. I shouldn't have had any of the free Starbucks they offered us.. Now I know what NOT to do for my next interview!

Interview Questions
    • What quality do you think makes a good flight attendant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Airways in March 2014.

Applied online, received an email three weeks later offering me an interview. I flew to Charlotte and went through the process. It was exactly as previously said. First there was the reach test and jump seat test, then presentation of the company. A question and answer session after that. They broke us up; in groups for a survival scenario. After that we had lunch (disgusting) recruiters came in and dismissed everyone but those they needed " additional information " from. It was exactly as others have said. The recruiters were friendly, a few were maybe too enthusiastic but overall it was fine.

Interview Questions
    • There was no one on one interview so I was never asked personally a question.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

The hiring process that I just recently experienced was by far the most non personal interview I have been to and in my opinion a waste of time. HR sent all this paper work that you were told that you needed to fill out and told me what to expect in the f2f interview. Almost nothing that I was told that were were going to do was done. I had and early flight to get there by 9am. Once I got to the trainning center they took us straight to the simulations area to do the reach test and the jump seat test. After that were went back in the room and were giving and overview of the company and what to expect. The next step were to introduce ourselves tell where were from and what we think makes a good flight attendant. The next step was to split into groups and do a project about a crash and see what items were most important in order. after that we had lunch. once lunch was over were they let everyone go and told us that we would all get an email within 48 hours to let us know what the next step would be. Out of 50 people they only asked one lady to stay back and talk to HR. They did not even do the one on one interview that they said they would do nor did they even take the paperwork that they told us to fill out and bring with us. Overall I feel like it was a complete waste of my day and time. If they company knew that they were only going to hire one person they should have not invited so many people to the interview. And if the rest of us did not get the job they could have at least did us the courtesy of telling us the truth first instead of being very secretive and shaking our hands as we walked out smiling and telling us to watch our email. I was just very shocked at the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There were not difficult questions because we were not even given the opportunity to do the one on one interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Airways.

I submitted my online application at the end of January and then completed the video interview about 2 weeks later. About a month later (Mid-March), I received an invitation to the recruitment event or in-person interview. I attended the March 21st interview, and here are the details:

1. I arrived to the Charlotte training center a little before 9:00am, was given a name tag and led to the dining hall where all the candidates were waiting. During that time, the recruiters went around and checked us all in. By the time all the candidates arrived, we were about 70 in total.
    2. They split us into 2 groups, had us drop off our stuff at our respective classroom and then led us to the airplane simulation room for the jumpseat and overhead bin tests.
    3. When we returned to the classrooms, the recruiters introduced themselves and gave a brief presentation on US Airways, the FA position and a video about the US Airways-American merger.
    4. Then, they had us make timed 1-minute introductions giving our name, where we were coming from and an response to the following question,"What 3 qualities should an exceptional flight attendant have?" They were pretty strict about timing (raising their hand or stopping people when the time was up), so it is important to rehearse your elevator speech ahead of time. It seems they preferred complete, thorough answers so as to assess how well we follow directions and express ourselves. I also recommend thanking US Airways for the opportunity and shouting out to fellow candidates, "Good Luck" or "Thanks for sharing in this crazy experience with me" just creates for a more supportive, fun environment.
    5. After introductions, we were divided into groups of 4-5 persons and given a plane crash scenario where we had to rank 12 items in terms of their use and aid for our survival. People tend to get nervous here and try to outshadow, talk over or direct the group; however, I recommend playing a more supportive or organizational role: emphasize priorities, keep the group on task, encourage input from everyone. I was by far not "leading" the group, so I just took the opportunities to show my engagement-second/compliment others' contributions, nod, actively engage during the follow-up explanation. I think ultimately that mattered more, how positively we engage with the other candidates and recruiters.
    6. After that activity, lunch was served and the recruiters all left, I suppose to deliberate! Lunch was really good-a few different salads to choose from. That was the first time actually that an airline (I have interviewed with 3 other airlines) ever served me lunch at an interview, which I thought was very nice and considerate.
    7. After lunch, the recruiters returned to the classrooms and announced that the interview had concluded, that everyone would have to leave now and that they'd get back to us within a week. Then, at the very end just as we began to pick up our things and head out, they said they needed a few individuals to stay for a bit longer to review paperwork. There were maybe 8-10 of us left in our classroom and I suspect another 8-10 left in the other classroom.
    8. After everyone left, they took us to other rooms to conduct the 1-on-1 interviews. The 1-on-1 interview was fairly intense and very much on par with the STAR method. They really want you to provide concrete and specific examples that touch on each of the STAR criteria (describing the situation, task, action and result). I highly recommend searching for sample FA interview questions and practicing answers using STAR to them. Have a good 3-4 work experiences/projects to reference in your answers. Here are some of the questions asked that I can remember...
    -Name a time you got into a conflict with a coworker. How did you resolve it?
    -Describe a time you learned a new process? How did you go about it?
    -Describe a time when you provided excellent customer service? Or describe excellent customer service.
    -Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge.
    -What is most and least appealing about the FA position?
    9. They then led us to another room to wait and told us that there would be another exercise. Slowly other candidates and all the recruiters trickled in. Once we were all there (there were about 12-15 of us maybe), they gave us the tentative offer letters and had us fill out paperwork, get finger-printed, etc.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience and the recruiters made it very exciting and fun. They get you really pumped about the job and company. My biggest piece of advice is to just stay turned on the whole time and have fun! No matter what the result, make the most of it, learn from it and tweak wherever you (I certainly have after 3 interviews), and make new friends!

Interview Questions
    • Really practice and rehearse your introduction and interview questions. Dress the part also! Since you will be held to a strict uniform policy as a FA, you should demonstrate that you are already capable of that.   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Airways.

Applied then received a phone call for a brief phone interview. From there I was flown to Charlotte for an in-person group interview. They did group activities and observed our interactions with each other. There are several rounds, and after each round they pull people out and send them home. At the end there is a one-on-one interview. Dress professionally, speak professionally. Men - wear a suit. Women- wear a nice knee-length skirt, heels, and a dressy blouse. Focus on safety first, customer service second, and you "love of travel" last or not at all.

Interview Questions
    There are no negotiations. They offer the job and tell you the salary. Every aspect of compensation is negotiated by a union.

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

I am a former flight attendant. It has been a while since I was in the airline industry. I am accustomed to putting on the smile and being friendly toward all people. I was invited to an interview process at Charlotte Recruitment Training Center. There were about 70 of us. We were taken to the facility and divided into two groups. The initial task given to us was to determine if we can reach the emergency equipment stored in an overhead bin and if we can fit into the jump-seat and fasten the seatbelt. We were asked to go before our group introduce ourselves and tell what in our opinion makes a great flight attendant within a one minute time frame. Some people were excellent in their speech presentation. Others were too nervous but managed to overcome to their obvious fear. Being confident I was called after someone that delivered his presentation like a comedian. While most of the characteristics were previously mentioned, I wanted to emphasis that the empathy that I learned as a flight attendant was something that I carried with me though out my life and it proved to be most beneficial. The last and final task was the group activity I have detailed below.

Interview Questions
    • The following task was presented as a "game". We were given a scenario whereby we were survivors of a plane crash in northern Canada. We were given 12 items that we were to use for survival and were told to list the items we would use in order of priority. I am a competitor and a gamer. My family plays a game called Mafia when we get together over the holidays. I lost my interview state of mind and became a Mafia player. Instead of realizing that the whole idea is not getting the items in order and winning the game, it is how you communicate and show yourself either a leader or a follower, compassionate and understanding.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

I had a phone interview, followed by a video interview. A week after that I was invited to do a face to face in charlotte. They fly you in and you do a group interview and activities. If they like you, they ask you to remain after the rest of the class is released.

Interview Questions
    • Standing in front of the group and introducing yourself   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

Applied online. Recieved an email for a preliminary video interview. Submitted video interview and 5 weeks later was invited to Charlotte, NC for a recruiting session. Flew to Charlotte courtsey of USAIR. Recruters are current Flight Attendants and all were very nice and personable. All attendees were asked to take a seat in the cafeteria, Recruiters walked throught out the room greeting us and asking if we had any questions, I took advantage of the Q&A. The recruiter I was speaking to was extremely nice and made me feel very at ease. After several minutes she introduced me to 2 other recruiters. The four of us conversed for several minutes before I was placed in my group.
    The first thing they have you do is the "reach" and "jumpseat" test. I am 6'2' so the reach test was a breeze, the jumpseat test was a different story. I have to be honest I allowed my waistline to go hay wire over the last 10 years, that being said, I failed the jumpseat test. The recruiter who adminsitered the test clearly saw that I was upset and escorted me back to gather my belongings. As we walked to the office to arrange for a flight home one of the recruiters I had meet early stoped and asked how it was going. I explained the situation and she was very sympathetic. Both recruiters told me to go home "work on it" and reapply in 6 months. I got the sense from their concern for me that if I would have succesfully passed the jumpseat test I would have been invited to train as a Flight Attendant. So now I am back at home working on losing weight. I will lose the weight, reapply, and succeed in becoming a Flight Attendant.
    My advice to those going to Charlotte is be engaging without being phony. The recruiters are sharp and can figure out who is genuine and not. Smile, ask questions, and DO your homework about the company and the position.

Interview Questions
    • What qualities do you possess that would make you a exceptional Flight Attendant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

Took 5 weeks total f2f 04/01. NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE F2F INTERVIEW PROCESS!

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Airways.

Had a video interview in March 2014, and a couple of weeks later was asked to fly to charlotte for a f2f interview. Will be flying down tomorrow, wish me luck!

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were out of the ordinary difficult, but what puts you on the spot that you should have a good answer for is "why do you want to be a flight attendant for US Airways?"   View Answer

Worked for US Airways? Contribute to the Community!