US Airways Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.9

116 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at US Airways.

You'll go through a presentation and then you will have to introduce yourself yourself, follow the instructions that they give you. Don't go over the time. They want to see that you're comfortable standing up and talking in front of a group. Make sure on your downtime you talk to everybody and talk to all of the recruiters. Do not take your cell phone. Following the presentation you will do a group activity. I think they're looking to see how you work in a group setting. Don't be too bossy don't be too pushy but don't be too quiet either. Lunch will come out and then you'll have more time to socialize with everybody make sure your seen being social. Following lunch in HR person will come this is when they're making the cut. If your name is called most likely they're bringing you to the curb. If you want of the lucky people to stay after then you will go into a face-to-face interview and your offer will be given to you on the spot. Good luck! Remember smile smile smile smile be social talk to everybody.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing is really difficult just relax think about it and you'll be fine. If you're what they looking for then they will select you, remember a lot of really good people get turned down.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Airways

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at US Airways in August 2014.

Pretty much exactly what everyone else says here. Applied on-line. Received invitation for video interview. Attended Recruitment Session. There were approximately 90 people there. We were split into two groups. Only about 5 people were selected from our group. Overall, I had a very positive experience. i met a lot of great people and learned a lot about being a Flight Attendant. I knew going into it that they would be making their selections that day, but many people didn't know this. The recruitment team made it worse by continually mentioning that you would hear from them in 48 hrs. I think that is mean and misleading. When I left I knew I had not been selected but there were many people who went home and waited to hear from them. False hope. :-( And even worse, it took them longer than 48 hours. I was extremely disappointed to not receive an offer, but I couldn't feel too badly about it because they passed on many smart, well-spoken, personable, educated and experienced people. I was surprised at how many people did not follow the specific directions they give you regarding dress and appearance. When the recruitment center calls you, LISTEN CAREFULLY. They will tell you EXACTLY what to wear and how to fix your hair, make-up and nails.

Everyone introduces themselves, including where you are from and then the qualities you think make a good FA. PRACTICE. I tried to stick to exactly what they asked for but i don't think it matters. They chose one person who just went on and on and thanked them and blah blah blah. I think they just want you to look comfortable talking in front of a group. Good luck! It is extremely competitive and though it sounds shallow, looks matter.

Interview Questions
    • "What qualities does a good Flight Attendant have?"   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at US Airways.

I applied online then was asked to do the video interview the next day. I applied last Sunday and did the video interview on Tuesday because I wanted to be ready for it. I haven't heard anything back yet but I have my fingers crossed. I think if you don't get it you get the whole thanks but no thanks so I have my hopes up that its a good sign! They said 5 basic STAR interview questions, but at the time I didn't know about STAR so I just kind of rambled. It was after the interview I did the research and found this page. I'll repost if I hear back!

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you didn't agree with what a co-worker did.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at US Airways in August 2014.

I applied and was asked to give a video interview two days later. The video interview wasn't bad at all in my opinion it was pretty easy. They asked questions such as how do you handle a difficult co-worker? A couple of months later I was asked to attend a recruitment session in Charlotte,NC. I was prepared to give my 1 minute speech, wore my high heels for the reach test, they also wanted you to work in group for a simulated crash. The thing that surprised me most was they ask all the women to take off their shoes for the reach test. When I didn't pass the reach test I asked how far was the emergency equipment in the cabin? Both flight attendants pretty much ignored me. One FA said she's not sure how far back the equipment was. This response surprised me because in an emergency situation why would the equipment be so far back in the luggage cabin?? And in the year 2014 what is the need to ask women to take their shoes off?? Especially when they can wear high heels. I'm 4'11 and a 100 pounds, so I didn't think height would be an issue. I highly doubt in an emergency situation an FA will have their shoes off!!!. If height was a requirement then they should state that in the requirements. The reach test was what really upset me because I didn't even get a chance to go through the full interview process. I guess my word to the ladies is be prepared to take your shoes off.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Airways in August 2014.

At the in person recruitment day, you should have prepared your one minute speech (you don't have to use up the whole time) about the qualities of a great flight attendant. I believe this is the determining factor. They want to see that you aren't nervous, can speak and present yourself professionally. It's not necessarily being super outgoing, you just need to have this comfort and calm in public speaking.

Some of the advice on here said to not stand out so much. Don't try so hard. But you can still be talkative. Three of the ladies that were picked chit chatted a lot. They were a little aggressive in the group activity.

It comes down to personality. There's just that something that the recruiters are looking for. Overall, confidence in public speaking is key.

Interview Questions
    • None at recruitment day since I wasn't picked to stay for one on one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at US Airways in March 2014.

I was invited to interview in Charlotte, NC. It was a great experience and everyone was friendly and helpful. I met a lot of great people from all over the country! It started as a group interview, and they had us do a reach and jumpseat test. Then they gave us a plane crash scenario with a list of items to number most important to least. Then we watched a video about the merger with AA. Now it was the time to get up in front of everyone and introduce yourself, and what you think makes a good FA. (All in 60 seconds) I was so nervous, I started rambling about customer service and never made my point. I shouldn't have had any of the free Starbucks they offered us.. Now I know what NOT to do for my next interview!

Interview Questions
    • What quality do you think makes a good flight attendant?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

The process took about 6 weeks total. I turned in my resume and then I instantly received an email to take the video interview. These were common interview questions. Then I waited about 3 weeks and then I received a in person interview. My interview was in Charlotte. Since I was coming from Kansas I had to stay over night and the hotel is your own expense. The interview process is just like everyone says.

1. Do a sit and reach test (very easy)
    2. Watch a presentation on the new merger
    3. They have you speak in front of the group (about 45 to 55 people in my group)
            A. What qualities make a good flight attendant
    4. Then do a group exercise (Survival Crash)
            A. List of supplies have to rate each item based on the best use to help you survive.
            B. I know the lighter with no fluid was up there in the top 5 and I believe the yarn and canvas
            C. The results do not really matter but it always helps you to stand out when you win or get more correct.
    5. Then you have lunch and this is when they make there first cut.
    6. Then they do one on one interviews (they say they are holding those people back because they did not fill out some of the paperwork correctly or need more information from them) This is there way of saying these people need to fill out employment forms.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult but it might be nice for someone that received an offer to say what they said during their group question. (What qualities make a good flight attendant)   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Airways.

Filled out online application.
    Asked to complete video interview, was asked five questions for example: tell us about a time you had great customer service.

Haven't heard back from them at all.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had conflicts with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I will speak about the Charlotte interview process:

I was flown down to Charlotte the week of March 20th. I was extended an offer, but turned it down eventually. Here are my pointers:

1: keep your head up (literally). There is nothing on the floor, or ceiling, so always look forward. 2: Do NOT stand out. Don't try to be the shining star or the person who asks the most questions, etc, try to blend in. In the group exercise, don't be the leader, just give your opinion. *GROUP EXERCISE: #1 is the lighter with no fluid (bc even though it has no fluid it can still make a spark for a fire on the (#2) ball if steel! And (#3) can of Crisco keeps you warm! Along with (#4) extra clothes! *warmth is your #1 priority!... You're welcome! 3: do NOT make it a point to speak to every instructor and brown-nose. Speak more to the fellow interviewees. 4: SMILE!
    During the one-on-one interview, everything is very situational: "name a time when you were responsible for other people and something went wrong" "give an example of a time a customer was not happy, what did you learn?" STAR METHOD.

I eventually did not go through with training bc I was going to have to move. EVEN THOUGH they say you don't HAVE to move, you have to live in another city for 20 days out of the month. This did not fit with my lifestyle.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

You MUST move to another city, even though they tell you it is not required. (I'd say having to live in another city for 20/30 days of the month qualifies as moving)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Airways.

I submitted my online application at the end of January and then completed the video interview about 2 weeks later. About a month later (Mid-March), I received an invitation to the recruitment event or in-person interview. I attended the March 21st interview, and here are the details:

1. I arrived to the Charlotte training center a little before 9:00am, was given a name tag and led to the dining hall where all the candidates were waiting. During that time, the recruiters went around and checked us all in. By the time all the candidates arrived, we were about 70 in total.
    2. They split us into 2 groups, had us drop off our stuff at our respective classroom and then led us to the airplane simulation room for the jumpseat and overhead bin tests.
    3. When we returned to the classrooms, the recruiters introduced themselves and gave a brief presentation on US Airways, the FA position and a video about the US Airways-American merger.
    4. Then, they had us make timed 1-minute introductions giving our name, where we were coming from and an response to the following question,"What 3 qualities should an exceptional flight attendant have?" They were pretty strict about timing (raising their hand or stopping people when the time was up), so it is important to rehearse your elevator speech ahead of time. It seems they preferred complete, thorough answers so as to assess how well we follow directions and express ourselves. I also recommend thanking US Airways for the opportunity and shouting out to fellow candidates, "Good Luck" or "Thanks for sharing in this crazy experience with me" just creates for a more supportive, fun environment.
    5. After introductions, we were divided into groups of 4-5 persons and given a plane crash scenario where we had to rank 12 items in terms of their use and aid for our survival. People tend to get nervous here and try to outshadow, talk over or direct the group; however, I recommend playing a more supportive or organizational role: emphasize priorities, keep the group on task, encourage input from everyone. I was by far not "leading" the group, so I just took the opportunities to show my engagement-second/compliment others' contributions, nod, actively engage during the follow-up explanation. I think ultimately that mattered more, how positively we engage with the other candidates and recruiters.
    6. After that activity, lunch was served and the recruiters all left, I suppose to deliberate! Lunch was really good-a few different salads to choose from. That was the first time actually that an airline (I have interviewed with 3 other airlines) ever served me lunch at an interview, which I thought was very nice and considerate.
    7. After lunch, the recruiters returned to the classrooms and announced that the interview had concluded, that everyone would have to leave now and that they'd get back to us within a week. Then, at the very end just as we began to pick up our things and head out, they said they needed a few individuals to stay for a bit longer to review paperwork. There were maybe 8-10 of us left in our classroom and I suspect another 8-10 left in the other classroom.
    8. After everyone left, they took us to other rooms to conduct the 1-on-1 interviews. The 1-on-1 interview was fairly intense and very much on par with the STAR method. They really want you to provide concrete and specific examples that touch on each of the STAR criteria (describing the situation, task, action and result). I highly recommend searching for sample FA interview questions and practicing answers using STAR to them. Have a good 3-4 work experiences/projects to reference in your answers. Here are some of the questions asked that I can remember...
    -Name a time you got into a conflict with a coworker. How did you resolve it?
    -Describe a time you learned a new process? How did you go about it?
    -Describe a time when you provided excellent customer service? Or describe excellent customer service.
    -Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge.
    -What is most and least appealing about the FA position?
    9. They then led us to another room to wait and told us that there would be another exercise. Slowly other candidates and all the recruiters trickled in. Once we were all there (there were about 12-15 of us maybe), they gave us the tentative offer letters and had us fill out paperwork, get finger-printed, etc.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience and the recruiters made it very exciting and fun. They get you really pumped about the job and company. My biggest piece of advice is to just stay turned on the whole time and have fun! No matter what the result, make the most of it, learn from it and tweak wherever you (I certainly have after 3 interviews), and make new friends!

Interview Questions
    • Really practice and rehearse your introduction and interview questions. Dress the part also! Since you will be held to a strict uniform policy as a FA, you should demonstrate that you are already capable of that.   View Answers (4)

Worked for US Airways? Contribute to the Community!