US Airways Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2014
Updated Oct 24, 2014

2.9

Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Airways in July 2009.

The interviewer was not very pleasant to talk to and often interrupted me. The initial interview was by phone and I was not extended an offer to interview in person with local management. Already phone interviews are awkward, but this one was the most difficult I've ever faced because it was so dry and didn't allow for a more conversational tone. The interviewer seemed to want more concise answers, no introduction - just straight to the point!

Interview Questions
    • What is one example when you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Airways in April 2008.

difficult, they ask a lot regarding customer service situation and how we do react.
    3 persons do the interview. about 15 questions. they focus a lot you as customer service agent, you experience with oder companies. But they never give you a feedback.And thats its bad.

Interview Questions
    • tell us how did you deal with a very difficult passenger   Answer Question
    • give a exemple how did you handle a very difficult situation   Answer Question

Pricing/Yield Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Airways in January 2012.

Horrible experience. US Airways' pricing/revenue management staff live up to the company's abominable reputation. No one was friendly at all and not a single person had the courtesy to offer me water or allow me to use the restroom in an interview that lasted over 4 hours.

The entire interview process is as follows: If you pass the initial screening phone interview, you will be invited to fly to the company's headquarters. The final interview then consists of: 3 sets of interviews, each with 2 pricing/yield management senior analysts or managers and each lasts 30-45 minutes, a 45-minute probability/basic math exam, and 1-hour lunch with one of the junior analysts in the department.

If you want a job with some of the rudest, most unintelligent and disinterested people in the airline industry, then apply to US Airways. No wonder the company continues to struggle attracting top talent and has one of the worst employee turnover rates.

Interview Questions
    • What are some factors to consider when launching a new route and pricing flights assigned to this route?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time in which you faced a conflict in the workplace and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

FA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

As like any FA position. Aplication, Invitation, group interview, one on one. And the best people are turned down. You never know what they are looking for. Regardless if you have a FA experience.

low pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at US Airways in March 2013.

This was the most stressful strenuous, nerve-wrecking experience I've ever gone through. But so worth it in the end. Only 2 of us made it out of the 40 that interviewed. Remember to stay cool, calm, and confident. Don't over do it. If you have a great smile and personality, you will stand out without doing much. Stay confident in your speech and remember to work the room. Make each recruiter recognize you and make eye contact. There really isn't a true method to get it. They know what they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • With American & Delta hiring now, why did I choose USAirway?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Airways.

I submitted my online application at the end of January and then completed the video interview about 2 weeks later. About a month later (Mid-March), I received an invitation to the recruitment event or in-person interview. I attended the March 21st interview, and here are the details:

1. I arrived to the Charlotte training center a little before 9:00am, was given a name tag and led to the dining hall where all the candidates were waiting. During that time, the recruiters went around and checked us all in. By the time all the candidates arrived, we were about 70 in total.
    2. They split us into 2 groups, had us drop off our stuff at our respective classroom and then led us to the airplane simulation room for the jumpseat and overhead bin tests.
    3. When we returned to the classrooms, the recruiters introduced themselves and gave a brief presentation on US Airways, the FA position and a video about the US Airways-American merger.
    4. Then, they had us make timed 1-minute introductions giving our name, where we were coming from and an response to the following question,"What 3 qualities should an exceptional flight attendant have?" They were pretty strict about timing (raising their hand or stopping people when the time was up), so it is important to rehearse your elevator speech ahead of time. It seems they preferred complete, thorough answers so as to assess how well we follow directions and express ourselves. I also recommend thanking US Airways for the opportunity and shouting out to fellow candidates, "Good Luck" or "Thanks for sharing in this crazy experience with me" just creates for a more supportive, fun environment.
    5. After introductions, we were divided into groups of 4-5 persons and given a plane crash scenario where we had to rank 12 items in terms of their use and aid for our survival. People tend to get nervous here and try to outshadow, talk over or direct the group; however, I recommend playing a more supportive or organizational role: emphasize priorities, keep the group on task, encourage input from everyone. I was by far not "leading" the group, so I just took the opportunities to show my engagement-second/compliment others' contributions, nod, actively engage during the follow-up explanation. I think ultimately that mattered more, how positively we engage with the other candidates and recruiters.
    6. After that activity, lunch was served and the recruiters all left, I suppose to deliberate! Lunch was really good-a few different salads to choose from. That was the first time actually that an airline (I have interviewed with 3 other airlines) ever served me lunch at an interview, which I thought was very nice and considerate.
    7. After lunch, the recruiters returned to the classrooms and announced that the interview had concluded, that everyone would have to leave now and that they'd get back to us within a week. Then, at the very end just as we began to pick up our things and head out, they said they needed a few individuals to stay for a bit longer to review paperwork. There were maybe 8-10 of us left in our classroom and I suspect another 8-10 left in the other classroom.
    8. After everyone left, they took us to other rooms to conduct the 1-on-1 interviews. The 1-on-1 interview was fairly intense and very much on par with the STAR method. They really want you to provide concrete and specific examples that touch on each of the STAR criteria (describing the situation, task, action and result). I highly recommend searching for sample FA interview questions and practicing answers using STAR to them. Have a good 3-4 work experiences/projects to reference in your answers. Here are some of the questions asked that I can remember...
    -Name a time you got into a conflict with a coworker. How did you resolve it?
    -Describe a time you learned a new process? How did you go about it?
    -Describe a time when you provided excellent customer service? Or describe excellent customer service.
    -Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge.
    -What is most and least appealing about the FA position?
    9. They then led us to another room to wait and told us that there would be another exercise. Slowly other candidates and all the recruiters trickled in. Once we were all there (there were about 12-15 of us maybe), they gave us the tentative offer letters and had us fill out paperwork, get finger-printed, etc.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience and the recruiters made it very exciting and fun. They get you really pumped about the job and company. My biggest piece of advice is to just stay turned on the whole time and have fun! No matter what the result, make the most of it, learn from it and tweak wherever you (I certainly have after 3 interviews), and make new friends!

Interview Questions
    • Really practice and rehearse your introduction and interview questions. Dress the part also! Since you will be held to a strict uniform policy as a FA, you should demonstrate that you are already capable of that.   View Answers (4)

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Airways in March 2014.

I applied online and within a week received an email to do the online interview. The link goes right into the interview so be prepared when you click on the link to do the interview. I had no idea what the questions would be and was not prepared. I was a babbling idiot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with an irate customer and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Airways in March 2014.

I did not make it past the video interview so I am not going to give advice on how to answer but I am going to share how it works.

You apply online, then about a week later I got and email asking for me to do a video interview.

You click the link and then have a few basic, multiple choice answer questions.
    1. Are you at least 21 years of age?
    2. Are you authorized to work in the United States?
    3. Do you have a current, valid passport in your possession?
    4. Please tell us where you originally heard about this position.
    5. If you selected “Other,” please share where you heard about this position. If you did not select “Other,” please write, “N/A”.
    6. After completion of Flight Attendant training, you will be assigned to the Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix or Washington, DC base. The base you will be assigned may not be the closest to your current home address. You are not required to relocate to your assigned base location, but it is highly recommended. Is this acceptable to you?
    7. US Airways Flight Attendant benefits include a pay rate of $21.74 per hour with a guarantee of 75 hours per month, flight benefits, and other perks that will be discussed during your orientation. Is this acceptable to you?
    8. The Flight Attendant position requires the ability to work any assigned schedule, which may include weekends, evenings, and holidays. Schedules are bid monthly, and are awarded based on seniority. Flight Attendants must be prepared to work reserve duty (on-call) and be available to report to their base station in as little as two hours after being notified of an assignment. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
    9. Flight Attendants are expected to follow all uniform and appearance guidelines, which include no facial, multiple, or upper ear piercings or extreme hair color or style. You may not have visible tattoos in locations including, but not limited to hands, arms, neck, face, legs and feet. Tattoos cannot be concealed by the use of makeup and/or bandages. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
    You must answer ‘Yes’ to all of these questions or once you hit submit you are told that you don’t meet the requirements and cannot go on. You can’t go back and change these answers once you hit submit.

If you answered yes to all of the questions you move on the next page where they let you test out your camera and microphone. There is no time limit on this part. Then once your camera and microphone are working correctly you are told that:

• Each question is going to be read aloud twice.
    • You have 60 seconds to prepare yourself for answer and that during this time the video is not being recorded.
    • You have 3 minutes for each question but don’t have to use the full time. There is a button to end your answer early.
    • You’ll be asked 5 questions.

The questions I got were:

1. Are you willing to have a professional look? No tattoos, no piercings…
    2. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
    3. What is different about your current job vs being a flight attendant?
    4. Time you had a difficult and irate customer and how did you resolve this situation?
    5. Time you had a disagreement with boss or coworker and what did you learn from the situation?

I did my video interview on Wednesday and got my thanks, but no-thanks on Sunday. Hope this helps someone get the job of their dreams.

Interview Questions
    • Time you had a disagreement with boss or coworker and what did you learn from the situation?   Answer Question
    • Time you had a difficult and irate customer and how did you resolve this situation?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Did a video interview and now waiting to go to a face to face. The video interview was fun, and unconventional because it was not a person you're talking to, you're looking at yourself trying to remember the question. Overall it was fun and different.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have that qualifies you to work here?   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Airways.

I applied back in December, and didn't hear anything until mid February when they sent the video interview request. The video interview was awkward and nerve wrecking because your speaking to an automated system. Then about a week later I get a call inviting me to the recruitment day. They provide transportation to and from the training facility in Charlotte. There were two sessions going on at the same time with about 30 people in each session with about 5 recruiters I think I got the good one, because all the flight attendants were SUPER nice, answering questions during breaks and telling their experience as flight attendants. Of course there was the reach test and jump seat test. They tell you that they change things up each time but they really don't, it goes exactly how every review on here has said. There was a lot of potential in the room but when it came time for the 60 second question "in your opinion, what makes a good flight attendant" you could kind of see who was a contender and who was not. Always have three qualities prepared for this question and elaborate of course. I forgot to say where I was from and I still got an offer so being perfect is not a requirement. Everyone's answer was good but not everyone worded it correctly or delivered properly. Then there was the plane crash scenario of course which my group won, of the four of us two of us got offers. We had four out of five right.

I would recommend following the advice of the people that call to set up your recruitment day if you make it that far. You want them to see you as a flight attendant not an interviewee. When I walked through the airports even TSA thought I was crew. Don't wear a short skirt, don't wear different colors, stick with dark blue or black, white collar shirt, always a blazer, have your hair back and if you're a lady a nice red lip won't hurt, for guys always wear a tie. Most importantly be yourself, they're essentially hiring your personality, if you're going to fake your way through the interview you won't be able to fake your way through 4 and a half weeks of unpaid training, so be you! And also if you were previously a flight attendant or currently one, keep it to yourself unless they ask about it. Don't talk about it in your 60 second introduction, it seems to be taboo. Someone who made it to a one on one was escorted out after mentioning the previous airlines they'd worked for. Overall I had a good experience it was nerve wrecking from start to finish but I walked away with an offer with one if the greatest airlines in the world soon to be the biggest global carrier so it was well worth it.

Interview Questions
    None this is a union job.