US Airways

Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.8

79 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Airways in March 2013.

Online application. Call back for phone interview. Callers id is 00 so answer or you will have to get inline for call backs. Phone interview lasts 20-30 minutes. All behavioral questions. How would you..., what was and how did you deal..., etc very helpful to read thru all blogs to get a sense of what to expect. After a good phone interview you are offered to a face to face (f2f) interview in Charlotte or Phoenix. Everyone there is wonderful, caring and understanding of how nervous we all were! Dress the flight attendant part. Hair back in bun, suit w skirt no pants and a button down shirt. Heels but not to high. Practice the star interview technique just google. There is a introduction where you introduce yourself and they will have you answer a question in front of all applicants. Approx 50-80 and all the staff working interview. Then mingle! Very very important! Greet, smile and shake hands! Next is jumpseat and overhead reach. Mingle some more! Then on to one on one interviews. Then AGAIN MINGLE! Names will be called. They will be sent home. If you pass this part on to a group activity. Work as a group. If you feel the task is not being addressed step of and lead but listen to all objections carefully. Be a team player. After that....mingle! You will be served lunch and a snack. During this time change seats and MINGLE! Act the part. Be a flight attendant you would want to have serving you in first class. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Research the STAR behavioral INTERVIEW METHOD. Be prepared but not rehearsed. Relaxed but confident.   Answer Question
    None set pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

This was my first flight attendant interview and I was not offered the job. I hope this review will help you. I will skip the phone interview because a lot of people have already commented on that portion (behavioral based questions and took 30 minutes on the phone).

Interview:
    Flight to and from Phoenix, AZ are paid for. You must wear business attire. I wore a pinstripe suit that was dark blue and a white button up underneath. (Women: pantyhose a must with a slight heel. I also suggest a minimal jewelry piece such as a pearls to stand out. You want to stand out but fit in. Nothing flashy).

Since we were all flying to AZ from different locations, many candidates arrived at different times. The first two hours (I got there earlier so there was time to kill while we waited for others) were simply talking to the recruiters and getting to know them. Remember their names and use them often. This is important. Ask questions that are creative but don't ask a lot. Obviously they are merging with American but DO NOT mention this. EVERYONE asked something regarding that and they are sick of hearing it. I would suggest asking recruiters more personal questions. I asked:

- I am interested in your lead flight attendant position while working here. Can you tell me more about the process? Is it based on seniority?
    - I am very interested in international flights. Can you tell me how soon this may be happening for a new flight attendant? (answer to this one: you might fly internationally on your first day after training. very cool!)

During the time of getting to know the recruiters, SOCIALIZE with the other candidates. The recruiters are constantly watching you. SMILE a lot. Don't stare at your competition. They want you to be friendly and appearing to have a good time. After 90% of the candidates arrived there, we dropped our things off in a room with a projector and had a 10 minute break with coffee, fruit and bottled water. After the break we went to another room where there was a plane simulator and they made sure we could sit in the seat and buckle up properly. We then walked down the hallway to the next room and made sure we were tall enough to reach the overhead bin and pull out a piece of equipment.

We returned to the room where the projector is and watched a 20 minute power point where Brenda, the lead organizer/president(?) of the training facility in Phoenix, told us more about what the merging with American Airlines means, pay and benefits, and more of what the job entails. After this, they called us up one by one to do a one minute speech answering these three components in a minute: Your name, where you live, and the QUALITIES that make an OUTSTANDING flight attendant. They called us based on your last name. Mine starts with an "A" and naturally I was called first and was not prepared for it.

Just be calm, confident and make eye contact with everyone in the room. None of the other candidates are really going to be paying attention to you since they are nervous trying to think of what they are going to say. Relax your hands and stand tall and confident.

After the one minute speeches we went on a lunch where sandwiches and refreshments were provided. After 30 minute lunch come the one-on-one interviews. there are 5 to 6 behavioral based questions and I believe this will be the most beneficial part of my review of the interview process:

Name a time where you did not get a long or agree with a co worker and how you handled the situation.
    Tell me a time when you had the most stressful situation and how you dealt with it.
    What is the least appealing part about being a flight attendant?

I would suggest using STAR: Situation, Task, Action, Results. Use this method every time you answer a question and of course relate it to being a flight attendant. I think they mostly want to know that you can handle situations on your own in a calm and professional manner and that you have outstanding customer service skills.

After everyone got a one-on-one, recruiters came in with billboards and called us out one by one. This is the part where you either get eliminated or sent to the next room to do a group activity. As mentioned before, this is where I got sent home.

Of course, I was surprised that I didn't get hired. But even more surprised when I saw other candidates that were for sure going to get hired, but they got sent home when I did. I'm not 100% what they are looking for, but you must be EXCEPTIONAL and OUTSTANDING. The recruiters are most likely people that have been flight attendants for 15+ years and have seen it all. Try to have a quality or characteristic about yourself that makes you shine. They've heard the same answers from everyone and want to hear at least one thing that will benefit US Airways.

I am going to keep on applying and I hope future candidates the best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • What is the least appealing part about being a flight attendant?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

The process was super long and the odds of being awarded an offer letter are very low. But for the lucky few the opportunity is huge with the new merger.
    If you think you need to be a 20 year old model, thats not the case. They seem to be looking for quality, stable, customer service orientated people. The people offered the position at my interview, were a mix of age, race, gender, height weight etc... Seems to be the person, not just the looks that matter most. Good luck :)

n/a

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

interviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

I applied online and then received a phone call interview a few days later. If you make the phone interview, you are then invited to Phoenix for an in-person interview.
    They fly you out to the interview and it was a great experience. Remember, an interview at a company works both ways. You need to feel that you fit with the company, and that you are impressed by the company. I just want to say that I was so impressed by everyone conducting the interview and with the company. The whole day was so much fun and the interviewees were such great classy people who were so sweet and were interested in you as a person. I never felt once this was a cattle call.

When you arrive, they ask everyone to stand in front of the room and to state your name, where your from, and three traits that make a great flight attendant. Afterwards, they take you to see if you can fit in the jump seat and reach the overhead bins. And then you go back into the room and they serve you a wonderful catered lunch. Finally, the 1:1 interviews begin.
    They are honestly trying to see how well you did at your previous jobs and your personality.
    When everyone was done interviewing, they called 20 people's names, and those were the people who got cut. Then, those of us who made it to the second round were put into groups to do an activity. They want to see how well you work with others, they don't want to see someone who takes over and they don't want to see wallflowers. Then we discussed the activity and they called another 5 names. And those of us who were left were given training invitations and filled out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • What would be the most challenging part of being a flight attendant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

I replied to a job they had posted on Craigslist and was called a couple of days later from a 00 number. Initially I wasn't going to answer it, but did anyway. I spoke to a woman (who I initially thought was a man so don't say ma'am or sir... luckily I hadn't). The phone call lasted about 20 minutes. I was told the location would be specifically for PHX only, and I mentioned that I live here, so I would be ok with that.

I get there first, and wait about 45 minutes while everyone checks in and gets a name tag. Mine, and a few others were missing so I had to wait while they printed a new one for me. I walked down a long hallway where I met 3 recruiters. Shook all their hands, walked int he door, met 2 more and shook their hands as well. the chatter was really, really loud for less than 40 people.

I chatted with a handful of people. I was unsure if they wanted me to socialize with everyone, or stay business focused.

We went upstairs, listened to what seemed like an endless power point presentation, and was told since they started the merger process, there was no guarantee that we'd be stationed in PHX. I have a house here. I can't just get up and go, so I began to lose interest then and there. I only applied because i was guaranteed to stay local.

Training is 8 weeks unpaid, although the do pay for your hotel accommodations. Even if you live local, they want you to stay in a hotel. I am CONVINCED there was a mole in our group for numerous reasons, so watch what you say, and especially to whom. There was a guy there who was a flight attendant already for another airline, and was a total jerk.

A good friend of mine was a spokesperson and FA for Virgin not too long ago, gave me some tips. I had given her some examples of pre-screening questions, and she answered them so I knew what to say.

After the power point presentation, we were all given 90 seconds to stand in front of the group, say something about ourselves and what makes a good flight attendant. Some Asian woman did astoundingly well, but couldn't pass the height requirement test and was given the boot.

After we all did the 90 second schpiel, we left our things and went for the seatbelt/reach test. All but 2 people passed. back to the room we went, some people asked questions about the merger and it was quite annoying. Read the newspaper or the internet. Although they encouraged those questions, I knew they didn't want to answer them. Not EVERYONE asked about the merger as someone previously stated, because I sure didn't.

Next were the one on one interviews were you were at a table with another recruiter, but there were other tables in the room. It was hard to stay focused because there were 6 people in there at once. I know I did well, but I think he thought I was saying what they wanted to hear. Not realizing that I really did mean the things that I said.

After everyone was interviewed, they started calling names in alphabetical order. Once the first 5 people were called, I knew they were cutting because the same recruiters would rotate back in. I was the last one to leave, but I saw who was left in the room... A handful of TALL, THIN, VERY good looking people. If you don't fit the look they advertise, forget it. Once I knew my interview was coming, I jumped on Atkins/HCG because I wanted that job so bad, I was going to make sure I fit their look. What I look like now, and what I look like then is completely different. Despite them saying they aren't looking for a specific look, you can throw it out the window.

Jobs are offered on the spot after a group test, so that 48 hour notification is nonsense. I wasn't offered the position, but I was sort of glad. US AIr isn't the only HUB airline here, so I will try with others.

UPDATE: Scored 2 more upcoming flight attendant position interviews within the next 3 weeks. Both pay more money, and pay for training. Don't give up :)

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you didn't get along with a co-worker. What did you do to overcome the stressors between you?   Answer Question

1.Applied online
    2.Phone interview
    3.Face to face interview in Phoenix, AZ
       a. They will ask you to stand up and introduce yourself.Tell us what makes a good flight
    attendant.
       b. Jump seat and overhead bin test
       c. One on one interview. 6 situational questions
       d. Group activity to test how well you work with others

They will eliminate people throughout the day. If you don't get an offer that day, more than likely you were not chosen and you will receive a rejection email in about 2 days.
    The recruiters were very nice but they are observing you all the time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a co-worker and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

Online application, received phone interview and next steps where to go to Arizona for face to face interview.

FA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

As like any FA position. Aplication, Invitation, group interview, one on one. And the best people are turned down. You never know what they are looking for. Regardless if you have a FA experience.

low pay

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Airways.

You first attend an informational seminar (about 4 hours long), go to a short interview right after the seminar. Right then they either offer you a regular interview invitation with a time or they don't.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with irate, mad and frustrated passengers that won't be able to get on a flight to a vacation destination for a couple days? The company gives them the free flight but will not pay for their hotel due to weather. How do you explain this to the passenger?   View Answer
    No negotiations, they are a union company so everyone starts at the same pay rate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Airways in January 2013.

The process was exactly how it was explained in the other reviews. They are definitely looking for a type. They ask the behavioral questions (SAR) and don't care anything about what you bring to the table in your resume.
    My personal take on it was the wanted the people that look good and are in their 20’s. Because when I left the room that’s all that was left. Sill waiting for the response that was supposed to come in 48 hours.
    If you are asked to leave then you are out. You can’t really prepare for an interview like this when you don’t have an opportunity to tell yourself. I was also surprised at the amount of people who must not read the news or did not do their homework on the company. Those are who they kept but the 20’s can be molded older maybe not so much.

Interview Questions
    • What would you not like about being a flight attendant?   View Answer