US Airways

Average Difficulty
72 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Airways in March 2013.

Interview Details – Online application. Call back for phone interview. Callers id is 00 so answer or you will have to get inline for call backs. Phone interview lasts 20-30 minutes. All behavioral questions. How would you..., what was and how did you deal..., etc very helpful to read thru all blogs to get a sense of what to expect. After a good phone interview you are offered to a face to face (f2f) interview in Charlotte or Phoenix. Everyone there is wonderful, caring and understanding of how nervous we all were! Dress the flight attendant part. Hair back in bun, suit w skirt no pants and a button down shirt. Heels but not to high. Practice the star interview technique just google. There is a introduction where you introduce yourself and they will have you answer a question in front of all applicants. Approx 50-80 and all the staff working interview. Then mingle! Very very important! Greet, smile and shake hands! Next is jumpseat and overhead reach. Mingle some more! Then on to one on one interviews. Then AGAIN MINGLE! Names will be called. They will be sent home. If you pass this part on to a group activity. Work as a group. If you feel the task is not being addressed step of and lead but listen to all objections carefully. Be a team player. After that....mingle! You will be served lunch and a snack. During this time change seats and MINGLE! Act the part. Be a flight attendant you would want to have serving you in first class. Good luck!

Interview Question – Research the STAR behavioral INTERVIEW METHOD. Be prepared but not rehearsed. Relaxed but confident.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None set pay

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

Interview Details – Online application, received phone interview and next steps where to go to Arizona for face to face interview.

Interview Question – Speaking in front of everyone   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Tempe, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Airways.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews, some panel, some individuals. Airline experience is a plus, not a must. Ability to think outside the box.

Interview Question – Case specific examples   View Answer

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1.Applied online
2.Phone interview
3.Face to face interview in Phoenix, AZ
   a. They will ask you to stand up and introduce yourself.Tell us what makes a good flight
attendant.
   b. Jump seat and overhead bin test
   c. One on one interview. 6 situational questions
   d. Group activity to test how well you work with others

They will eliminate people throughout the day. If you don't get an offer that day, more than likely you were not chosen and you will receive a rejection email in about 2 days.
The recruiters were very nice but they are observing you all the time.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you disagreed with a co-worker and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

Interview Details – This was my first flight attendant interview and I was not offered the job. I hope this review will help you. I will skip the phone interview because a lot of people have already commented on that portion (behavioral based questions and took 30 minutes on the phone).

Interview:
Flight to and from Phoenix, AZ are paid for. You must wear business attire. I wore a pinstripe suit that was dark blue and a white button up underneath. (Women: pantyhose a must with a slight heel. I also suggest a minimal jewelry piece such as a pearls to stand out. You want to stand out but fit in. Nothing flashy).

Since we were all flying to AZ from different locations, many candidates arrived at different times. The first two hours (I got there earlier so there was time to kill while we waited for others) were simply talking to the recruiters and getting to know them. Remember their names and use them often. This is important. Ask questions that are creative but don't ask a lot. Obviously they are merging with American but DO NOT mention this. EVERYONE asked something regarding that and they are sick of hearing it. I would suggest asking recruiters more personal questions. I asked:

- I am interested in your lead flight attendant position while working here. Can you tell me more about the process? Is it based on seniority?
- I am very interested in international flights. Can you tell me how soon this may be happening for a new flight attendant? (answer to this one: you might fly internationally on your first day after training. very cool!)

During the time of getting to know the recruiters, SOCIALIZE with the other candidates. The recruiters are constantly watching you. SMILE a lot. Don't stare at your competition. They want you to be friendly and appearing to have a good time. After 90% of the candidates arrived there, we dropped our things off in a room with a projector and had a 10 minute break with coffee, fruit and bottled water. After the break we went to another room where there was a plane simulator and they made sure we could sit in the seat and buckle up properly. We then walked down the hallway to the next room and made sure we were tall enough to reach the overhead bin and pull out a piece of equipment.

We returned to the room where the projector is and watched a 20 minute power point where Brenda, the lead organizer/president(?) of the training facility in Phoenix, told us more about what the merging with American Airlines means, pay and benefits, and more of what the job entails. After this, they called us up one by one to do a one minute speech answering these three components in a minute: Your name, where you live, and the QUALITIES that make an OUTSTANDING flight attendant. They called us based on your last name. Mine starts with an "A" and naturally I was called first and was not prepared for it.

Just be calm, confident and make eye contact with everyone in the room. None of the other candidates are really going to be paying attention to you since they are nervous trying to think of what they are going to say. Relax your hands and stand tall and confident.

After the one minute speeches we went on a lunch where sandwiches and refreshments were provided. After 30 minute lunch come the one-on-one interviews. there are 5 to 6 behavioral based questions and I believe this will be the most beneficial part of my review of the interview process:

Name a time where you did not get a long or agree with a co worker and how you handled the situation.
Tell me a time when you had the most stressful situation and how you dealt with it.
What is the least appealing part about being a flight attendant?

I would suggest using STAR: Situation, Task, Action, Results. Use this method every time you answer a question and of course relate it to being a flight attendant. I think they mostly want to know that you can handle situations on your own in a calm and professional manner and that you have outstanding customer service skills.

After everyone got a one-on-one, recruiters came in with billboards and called us out one by one. This is the part where you either get eliminated or sent to the next room to do a group activity. As mentioned before, this is where I got sent home.

Of course, I was surprised that I didn't get hired. But even more surprised when I saw other candidates that were for sure going to get hired, but they got sent home when I did. I'm not 100% what they are looking for, but you must be EXCEPTIONAL and OUTSTANDING. The recruiters are most likely people that have been flight attendants for 15+ years and have seen it all. Try to have a quality or characteristic about yourself that makes you shine. They've heard the same answers from everyone and want to hear at least one thing that will benefit US Airways.

I am going to keep on applying and I hope future candidates the best of luck!

Interview Question – What is the least appealing part about being a flight attendant?   View Answer

Tempe, AZ

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Airways in February 2009.

Interview Details – I applied in person,however, applications are taken on line only.
I would like to state.that there were applicants that PAID several thousand dollars to attend Flight Attendant Schools ..these were non airline specific...and DID NOT HELP THEM. Save your money.Airlines prefer no other training.

Interview Question – There was a group interview....everyone sitting around a large conference table. One by one they went around and you had to introduce yourself, say a little something about yourself, and also state why YOU would be the best person for this job. Afterwards, certain individauls were called for one on one interviews. We were then presented with a job offer or told they would call you..which seemed to be code for sorry...no job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotion....they offered an opening you accepted or passed...they might on occasion have different class starting dates.

Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and then received a phone call interview a few days later. If you make the phone interview, you are then invited to Phoenix for an in-person interview.
They fly you out to the interview and it was a great experience. Remember, an interview at a company works both ways. You need to feel that you fit with the company, and that you are impressed by the company. I just want to say that I was so impressed by everyone conducting the interview and with the company. The whole day was so much fun and the interviewees were such great classy people who were so sweet and were interested in you as a person. I never felt once this was a cattle call.

When you arrive, they ask everyone to stand in front of the room and to state your name, where your from, and three traits that make a great flight attendant. Afterwards, they take you to see if you can fit in the jump seat and reach the overhead bins. And then you go back into the room and they serve you a wonderful catered lunch. Finally, the 1:1 interviews begin.
They are honestly trying to see how well you did at your previous jobs and your personality.
When everyone was done interviewing, they called 20 people's names, and those were the people who got cut. Then, those of us who made it to the second round were put into groups to do an activity. They want to see how well you work with others, they don't want to see someone who takes over and they don't want to see wallflowers. Then we discussed the activity and they called another 5 names. And those of us who were left were given training invitations and filled out paperwork.

Interview Question – What would be the most challenging part of being a flight attendant?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at US Airways in February 2013.

Interview Details – The process was super long and the odds of being awarded an offer letter are very low. But for the lucky few the opportunity is huge with the new merger.
If you think you need to be a 20 year old model, thats not the case. They seem to be looking for quality, stable, customer service orientated people. The people offered the position at my interview, were a mix of age, race, gender, height weight etc... Seems to be the person, not just the looks that matter most. Good luck :)

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a FA?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – n/a

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Airways in January 2013.

Interview Details – The process was exactly how it was explained in the other reviews. They are definitely looking for a type. They ask the behavioral questions (SAR) and don't care anything about what you bring to the table in your resume.
My personal take on it was the wanted the people that look good and are in their 20’s. Because when I left the room that’s all that was left. Sill waiting for the response that was supposed to come in 48 hours.
If you are asked to leave then you are out. You can’t really prepare for an interview like this when you don’t have an opportunity to tell yourself. I was also surprised at the amount of people who must not read the news or did not do their homework on the company. Those are who they kept but the 20’s can be molded older maybe not so much.

Interview Question – What would you not like about being a flight attendant?   View Answer

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Airways in January 2013.

Interview Details – You will have you introduce yourself in front of everyone and tell them what makes a good flight attended, then you move on to a one on one interview in a room with other candidate. They provide lunch, but for the most part you do a lot of sitting. I would consider this a social interview as I felt like everyone that worked for the company was always watching and listening to what you say to others. Overall with any flight attendant position your look is very important to them, I'm not sure having any skills is necessary. Our group also learned once we arrived that although the position was posted as a Phoenix based need that may not be needed when US Airways merges with American. Good Luck.

Interview Question – What don't you like about the job?   Answer Question