US Airways

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pricing Analyst

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at US Airways in January 2013.

Interview Details – Received an email that someone will call me for a phone interview. They called at the time prommised. The gentleman that interviewed me over the phone was very professional and easy to talk to. Same questions they allways ask.
When was the last time u used a quantitative analyses.
What are 4 major criteria of an airline.
Why do u choose US airways
Tell me about a time u had a conflict at work
What do u dislike the most about your current or past employer
Tell me what software u use and some if their functions

Interview Question – All easy   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Tempe, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Airways in June 2011.

Interview Details – The process seems to be that they do a phoen screening weeks in advance and then they schedule a full day of interviews at Corporate in Tempe, AZ. This is the most tedious experience you will ever find yourself on. Imagine that your first interview starts at 8am and you do like 5 or 6 interviews on the entire day. However, they ask the same questions!!!! all of them!!! the same bad questions"mention a time when you were dissapointed" "mention a time when you didnt know how to do something and how did you go about it" just simple and pure manure that no one cares about and that people make up on the same moment you get the question asked. I must say that I invented all of my answers to those tedious questions. But the thing is that on your next interview, they ask you exactly the same things!!!! same manure!! over and over for 5 or 4 interviews. Instead of getting everyone together in the same room and asking everything just once, they waste your time like this. By the time the last interview comes, you you are tired and simply tell them off by answering all questions very badly.("mention a time when you were dissapointed" : my answer for real = "yesterday i drove to mcdonals and it was closed, I didnt know what to do so I turned right on the street and there was an arbys").

I am sorry if you get called in for a tedious day like this one. Then someone takes you out on lunch. The guy was a complete ignorant in the sense that they talk about you having to have quantitative and forecasting skills for the positions during the interview and this guy does not even know anything. There was a director who interviewed me who was a complete joke and had no credibility. No way I will take a position in that group. You must be very sstupid to take it or desperate. People at the Headquarters are very rude. The start pay is 38,000 USD and they want MBAs and Engineers LOL!!!

If you want to fly for free, take this offer, however be mindful that they do not let you off on time during fridays as to fly somewhere fun. This is the only thing the guy who took me to lunch had to say that was interesting and insightful.

Ohhh by the way, they put some basic statistic and math questions.
A couple of multiplications and divisions by hand. A question about a coin toss on probability (probability of getting heads, p of getting heads third time, p of getting head the second time and tails the third time). They also ask some basic questions about load factors (they tell you what that means) and ask you to solve for it. I dont know, in my opinion 99% of the people who work there got less than 50% of those questions right and the other 1% are managers and directors. Makes you think about how low level the company and the department itself is.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Interview Question – Mention a time when you were dissapointed.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not enough money, the job seems very idiotic in nature, a monkey should be doing it and people were kind of rude. I really am not interested in the positions.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Airways in June 2010.

Interview Details – Got the interview after a telephone interview. Telephone interview mostly consisted of personality questions and how I dealt with different situations, etc.,

Got an email after a couple days asking me to fly down to Phoenix for an interview at the headquarters. Once, I got to Phoenix, a team member took me out to lunch and described his typical day. There were then three total interview with two company personnel in each session. Questions were mostly about my personality and scenario based questions. There was a skill test which tested math and statistics.

After the interview, I was given a room at a 3 star hotel.

Interview Question – Instances of taking calculated risk?   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Airways.

Interview Details – The thorough process is what the previous comments have described. However, I find the company quite friendly and professional in some way. The analyst who took me to dinner was very talkative and know the industry. The managers who interviewed me were also very nice. They do put you in a room, but they come very on time and I didn't have to wait at all, except that i finish the skill test very quickly. Overall the interview process is friendly. I like the atmosphere there. People in the company seems to be friendly to each other too.

Interview Question – some case questions like in consulting interview   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process for the Pricing/Yield Analyst position is exactly the same as described on this site (i.e. phone screen, group interview, probability/stats and basic arithmetic test). When you pass the phone screen they then invite you for the face to face where they fly you out to PHX.

In the face to face interviews there are 3 sets with 2 interviewers separately. All with the SAME questions, all with the SAME dry and rigid personality. Oh and then you get to have an awkward lunch with some guy who doesn't really seem all that happy (in my honest opinion). Somewhere in between the interviews and lunch you take the skills test. Another post mentioned they tended to hired theater majors. Seriously? SMH

All in all, I was very relieved I did not get the offer because it would have been a major personality downgrade for me in my opinion. These guys are way too SERIOUS and it shows in their demeanor and lack of personality. They rarely smile and yes, as mentioned in the previous reviews, they rarely make eye contact. At first I thought it was the nature of the job but really how hard can it be to be an analyst?

If you get called to interview and decide to go for the free flight and lunch remember the following:
- don't smile; and
- don't make eye contact.

Do the above and you just may have a shot!

Interview Question – Describe a time at work or school when you faced a difficult situation and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Worked for US Airways? Contribute to the Community!