US Army Corps of Engineers Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2015

2.4

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Panel Interview in which office employees all asked questions. They asked me to change my major in order to attain the clerical part-time position. In addition, they berated employees who were not in the room. Overall it was a terrible experience, and certainly not somewhere I would want to work.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

The work environment that the employees presented to me left much to be desired, and I was not willing to change my major for a part-time clerical position.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Very rigid process. Only asked very small number of scripted questions. Very little interaction or free flow conversation with interviewers. Seemed like they already knew what they were looking for, did NOT spend any time getting to know me as a person.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions: strengths, weaknesses, how do you handle conflict, etc. No scenario or analytics--just very standard vanilla questions. It is apparent that the Corps of Engineers and the government in general are far behind private industry in the talent acquisition area. The poor quality of the interview was part of the reason I ultimately declined the job.   Answer Question

Environmental Scientist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

Plain questions approved by EEO. Take the opportunity of the boring questions to talk about yourself and your ideas. Know about the job you are applying for. Track down the hiring manager and ask questions before the interview. If you are a student there may be several ways in which you can transfer in as a student.

Interview Questions

• Normal stuff. Tell me something positive and negative about something you have done at work?   Answer Question

Negotiation

non-negotiable

Student Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

Resume was submitted at the career fair. Didn't think too much of it. I was emailed a few months later to come in for interview. Group panel interview with one person in a senior position, and two previous interns (now full-time). They asked generic questions. Nothing was technical, just generic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in joining the Corps of Engineers?   Answer Question

Aide Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

I was first called by the executive assistant and the current aide and asked some basic questions about what I was interested in and my future with the Engineers. Then I was brought in face to face with the General who asked me pointed questions.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in December 2014.

Interview

Time between initial communication and interview was 1 week. Expenses paid for travel costs. The interview was formal and included speaking with various members of the team about the challenges of working in a travel intensive setting.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous environmental project experience.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your undergraduate/graduate research projects.   Answer Question
    • Am I able to travel extensively? (which may preclude you from having a traditional family life)   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable in the field. The interviewers wanted to hear specifically that I prefer working in a field setting.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

I did not experience an interview process. USACE selects based off your resume. The higher level positions may actually conduct interviews, but they are typically phone interviews and very informal.

Interview Questions

• They try to assess your level of expereince using your responses to KSA's (knowledge, skills and abilities).   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiations. If you are a new hire, you come in at level 1 of your particular pay scale.

Research Ecologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vicksburg, MS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Vicksburg, MS).

Interview

I was notified of a new position by a professor who was contacted by a USACE employee looking to expand his research team. I was contacted through email with additional details of this new position followed up by a phone call. I sent my resume and unofficial transcript by email. After a period of time for their consideration, they invited me for an interview and made travel arrangements. The interview process was relatively informal. I was introduced to many employees who shared their responsibilities. I was required to share a presentation about my graduate research as a seminar. Over all it felt like a get to know each other session.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

A very good offer as a recent graduate, no negotiation.

Civil Engineer Interview

Interview

Ten official Questions in general. 1. Computer skill. 2. How's like work with the others 3. how was the former job. 4. what is your short term and long term plan of your life. 5. How you think about team work.

Civil Engineer (New Graduate - Hydrology) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Fort Worth, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and about a month later, I received a phone call asking to set up a phone interview. I was told that there was a certain deadline that they were trying to meet, and that the entire interview/hiring process would be complete within 1 week. Apparently this was not typical, but was the situation at hand. Fairly straightforward phone interview that had one manager asking questions and 4 managers listening in a conference call. Questions were prewritten, with the occasional question for elaboration on an answer. Total interview time was approximately 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to develop a new skill for work or a project.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 and 10 years with work? Where do you see yourself living in 5 and 10 years?   Answer Question