US Army Corps of Engineers Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014
Updated Sep 24, 2014

2.5

Civil Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

I did not experience an interview process. USACE selects based off your resume. The higher level positions may actually conduct interviews, but they are typically phone interviews and very informal.

Interview Questions
    • They try to assess your level of expereince using your responses to KSA's (knowledge, skills and abilities).   View Answer
    no negotiations. If you are a new hire, you come in at level 1 of your particular pay scale.

Research Ecologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vicksburg, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vicksburg, MS

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

I was notified of a new position by a professor who was contacted by a USACE employee looking to expand his research team. I was contacted through email with additional details of this new position followed up by a phone call. I sent my resume and unofficial transcript by email. After a period of time for their consideration, they invited me for an interview and made travel arrangements. The interview process was relatively informal. I was introduced to many employees who shared their responsibilities. I was required to share a presentation about my graduate research as a seminar. Over all it felt like a get to know each other session.

Interview Questions
    A very good offer as a recent graduate, no negotiation.

Civil Engineer Interview

Ten official Questions in general. 1. Computer skill. 2. How's like work with the others 3. how was the former job. 4. what is your short term and long term plan of your life. 5. How you think about team work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Applied online at USAJOBS. It took about 6 weeks to receive and email that I made it to the interview stage. They flew me in to do an in person interview. It was very structured interview. There were 4 people in the interview, the dept. head read the job description and handed me a list of 8 questions. He said start with

Interview Questions
    • question 1 and the 4 interviewers wrote everything that was said. The questions were very generic. They dealt with education and experience. Nothing difficult or situational.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in May 2014.

Got offered an interview within the same week the applications were due. Walked in for an interview and was given an offer on the spot with a few weeks to think about the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Got asked how I could apply what I have learned in my major so far into construction, engineering and the R&D process.   Answer Question

Threat Analysis and Assessment Officer Interview

Sub Contractor Hired me to work for the customer (USACE)

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was fair and it went well.

Real Estate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Very general based on qualifications

Interview Questions
    • Why would you be a good fit with organization?   View Answer
    Set income based on pay grade

Student Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

I was first contacted by the site administrator, who I can tell was gauging my behavior over the phone. She set me up with an in-person interview with members of two different teams from different branches of the site. There, I was mostly asked behavioral questions and my experiences and preferences regarding different programming languages and frameworks. I absolutely did not know much about .NET, given that may expertise is in Java, but they seemed happy with my responses in general.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you worked with a difficult team member and what you did to make the situation better.   Answer Question
    I had zero negotiation. In fact, they eventually reduced my pay and grade to a GS-5, which I found very disappointing.

Power Plant Trainee I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hendersonville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hendersonville, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in March 2014.

Applied in early December on USAJobs.gov. Was referred for consideration late Dec. Drove to Nashville for test on January 21. Was selected after making the minimum score on the test and had an interview. Interview was very structured. Panel of 4 with a monitor. 10 questions cut and dry about work experience, why you applied, what do you expect, strengths, weaknesses and such with no follow up questions. Had to thoroughly answer questions to make sure the info you wanted to relay was put out there because they didn't ask for more info in an answer.

Interview Questions
    No salary negotiation. Starting rate is set and pay increases happen with satisfactory progression through program. Start date is set the same for everyone in program.

Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Online application, lengthy evaluation, in person interview. Very lengthy process - 6 months.

Interview Questions
    Positions are based on the GS pay schedule, which incorporates grade and step. The grade isn't negotiable, but the step is. Ask for a higher step in the job grade, i.e. GS-11 step 6 rather than step 1.