US Army Corps of Engineers Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.4

Civil Engineer (New Graduate - Hydrology) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Fort Worth, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and about a month later, I received a phone call asking to set up a phone interview. I was told that there was a certain deadline that they were trying to meet, and that the entire interview/hiring process would be complete within 1 week. Apparently this was not typical, but was the situation at hand. Fairly straightforward phone interview that had one manager asking questions and 4 managers listening in a conference call. Questions were prewritten, with the occasional question for elaboration on an answer. Total interview time was approximately 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to develop a new skill for work or a project.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 and 10 years with work? Where do you see yourself living in 5 and 10 years?   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Applied online at USAJOBS. It took about 6 weeks to receive and email that I made it to the interview stage. They flew me in to do an in person interview. It was very structured interview. There were 4 people in the interview, the dept. head read the job description and handed me a list of 8 questions. He said start with

Interview Questions

• question 1 and the 4 interviewers wrote everything that was said. The questions were very generic. They dealt with education and experience. Nothing difficult or situational.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Champaign, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Got offered an interview within the same week the applications were due. Walked in for an interview and was given an offer on the spot with a few weeks to think about the offer.

Interview Questions

• Got asked how I could apply what I have learned in my major so far into construction, engineering and the R&D process.   Answer Question

Interview

Sub Contractor Hired me to work for the customer (USACE)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was fair and it went well.

Quality Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Omaha, NE) in April 2014.

Interview

Very informal. They had pre-selected so I didn't have a chance. They usually only select prior military. Worst interview I ever had. They are given prepared questions from HR to ask but they just ask them to check the box. If you are not prior military the chances you'll get the job are almost zero.

Real Estate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

Very general based on qualifications

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit with organization?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Set income based on pay grade

Student Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

I was first contacted by the site administrator, who I can tell was gauging my behavior over the phone. She set me up with an in-person interview with members of two different teams from different branches of the site. There, I was mostly asked behavioral questions and my experiences and preferences regarding different programming languages and frameworks. I absolutely did not know much about .NET, given that may expertise is in Java, but they seemed happy with my responses in general.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked with a difficult team member and what you did to make the situation better.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had zero negotiation. In fact, they eventually reduced my pay and grade to a GS-5, which I found very disappointing.

Power Plant Trainee I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hendersonville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Hendersonville, TN) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied in early December on USAJobs.gov. Was referred for consideration late Dec. Drove to Nashville for test on January 21. Was selected after making the minimum score on the test and had an interview. Interview was very structured. Panel of 4 with a monitor. 10 questions cut and dry about work experience, why you applied, what do you expect, strengths, weaknesses and such with no follow up questions. Had to thoroughly answer questions to make sure the info you wanted to relay was put out there because they didn't ask for more info in an answer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No salary negotiation. Starting rate is set and pay increases happen with satisfactory progression through program. Start date is set the same for everyone in program.

Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

Online application, lengthy evaluation, in person interview. Very lengthy process - 6 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Positions are based on the GS pay schedule, which incorporates grade and step. The grade isn't negotiable, but the step is. Ask for a higher step in the job grade, i.e. GS-11 step 6 rather than step 1.

Architect Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a month later to see if I was interested in a face to face interview (They reimbursed me for my flight and hotel stay). I had 2 people in my interview-my direct supervisor and the supervisor of another division that I would be working with. About a month after my interview I was given a tentative offer that was followed with a firm offer and I completed some initial paperwork. I applied for the job in mid May, interviewed in July, offered a job in August and started work at the end of September.

Interview Questions

• It was a typical architecture interview. They asked me about my construction and design experience and looked at my work portfolio. They had a list of questions that they asked each of the 3 people they interviewed. They didn't as me any behavioral interview questions but I have had that experience in other Corps interviews.   Answer Question