US Army Corps of Engineers Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.5

Real Estate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Very general based on qualifications

Interview Questions
    • Why would you be a good fit with organization?   View Answer
    Set income based on pay grade

Student Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

I was first contacted by the site administrator, who I can tell was gauging my behavior over the phone. She set me up with an in-person interview with members of two different teams from different branches of the site. There, I was mostly asked behavioral questions and my experiences and preferences regarding different programming languages and frameworks. I absolutely did not know much about .NET, given that may expertise is in Java, but they seemed happy with my responses in general.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you worked with a difficult team member and what you did to make the situation better.   Answer Question
    I had zero negotiation. In fact, they eventually reduced my pay and grade to a GS-5, which I found very disappointing.

Accounting Technician Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in August 2012.

One panel interview, including Director, Deputy Director, and Supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview question. "your weakness, your strenghts, What do you do in negative situations? etc."   Answer Question

Student Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winchester, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in April 2013.

I discovered this position through the government job website- usajobs.gov. I then submitted my resume and all necessary documentation via that site, around 6-9 months prior to my desired starting date. After applying I received notification that my application was received via an automatic response email. After that, I received no communication of any sort from USACE, and I was yet to receive an official point of contact. I then received an email approximately a month before my desired starting date stating that I have been selected as qualified for this position and that I would have 48-72 hours to respond before they move to the next potential candidate. Very soon after I responded to indicate that I was indeed accepting this offer at the salary described in the previous email. Then I was bombarded with forms and security checks for the next couple weeks. After all of the needed forms and background checks were completed, an official contract was emailed to me to be signed and returned.

Interview Questions
    • Having to schedule an appointment with the state building in Pittsburgh, PA to get my fingerprints taken without assistance from USACE because I was not able to come to their office in person due to the fact I was at my college.   Answer Question
    The contract was set in stone- take it or leave it

Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Online application, lengthy evaluation, in person interview. Very lengthy process - 6 months.

Interview Questions
    Positions are based on the GS pay schedule, which incorporates grade and step. The grade isn't negotiable, but the step is. Ask for a higher step in the job grade, i.e. GS-11 step 6 rather than step 1.

Architect Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

I applied online and was contacted a month later to see if I was interested in a face to face interview (They reimbursed me for my flight and hotel stay). I had 2 people in my interview-my direct supervisor and the supervisor of another division that I would be working with. About a month after my interview I was given a tentative offer that was followed with a firm offer and I completed some initial paperwork. I applied for the job in mid May, interviewed in July, offered a job in August and started work at the end of September.

Interview Questions
    • It was a typical architecture interview. They asked me about my construction and design experience and looked at my work portfolio. They had a list of questions that they asked each of the 3 people they interviewed. They didn't as me any behavioral interview questions but I have had that experience in other Corps interviews.   Answer Question

Law Office Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in June 2009.

Government: So they look at your background. It was about a 2 month process

Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Initial phone call- Went over basics of jobs and made sure still interested. In person interview - basically just confirmed that I would be happy in the position. Less than twenty minutes. Started the next week.

I didn't negotiate

Biologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Conway, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conway, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in April 2010.

Typically the interview is approximately 30 minutes. All of the interviewees are asked the same questions to make it fair and equitable. Typically a couple of the questions are about the job itself and your understanding of the regulatory authority by which the Regulatory Program operates. A tough one is explaining what the NEPA process is. Or discussing the difference between 404(b)(1) and NEPA. Discussing an alternatives analysis, discussing project scoping. There are personal questions as well such as "What makes you the best person for this job?" or "what are your strengths/weaknesses."

Interview Questions
    • The question about NEPA and 404(b)(1) guideline differences was difficult because you either know if or you don't   View Answer
    Negotiation regarding reporting for work is acceptable. I also negotiated to be able to work a more flexible schedule (9 hour days/9 days per pay period to get a three day weekend every other weekend). I have heard you might be able to negotiate to start at a higher step (within grade) and also have heard you might be able to negotiate to have your certificate renewals paid for, student loans paid off, and potentially future training and education paid for, if it suits the position. I did not ask for any of that.

Realty Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Difficult. Because of hiring practices by the government, and me not fitting the preffered status I had to work as a contractor first, and then apply for federal status. Took three years. As far as the interview, I can not really state as I was targeted for some unique qualifications.

Take it or leave it.