US Army Corps of Engineers

2.5

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in May 2014.

Got offered an interview within the same week the applications were due. Walked in for an interview and was given an offer on the spot with a few weeks to think about the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Got asked how I could apply what I have learned in my major so far into construction, engineering and the R&D process.   Answer Question

Threat Analysis and Assessment Officer Interview

Sub Contractor Hired me to work for the customer (USACE)

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was fair and it went well.

Real Estate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Very general based on qualifications

Interview Questions
    • Why would you be a good fit with organization?   View Answer
    Set income based on pay grade

Student Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

I was first contacted by the site administrator, who I can tell was gauging my behavior over the phone. She set me up with an in-person interview with members of two different teams from different branches of the site. There, I was mostly asked behavioral questions and my experiences and preferences regarding different programming languages and frameworks. I absolutely did not know much about .NET, given that may expertise is in Java, but they seemed happy with my responses in general.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you worked with a difficult team member and what you did to make the situation better.   Answer Question
    I had zero negotiation. In fact, they eventually reduced my pay and grade to a GS-5, which I found very disappointing.

Power Plant Trainee I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hendersonville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hendersonville, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in March 2014.

Applied in early December on USAJobs.gov. Was referred for consideration late Dec. Drove to Nashville for test on January 21. Was selected after making the minimum score on the test and had an interview. Interview was very structured. Panel of 4 with a monitor. 10 questions cut and dry about work experience, why you applied, what do you expect, strengths, weaknesses and such with no follow up questions. Had to thoroughly answer questions to make sure the info you wanted to relay was put out there because they didn't ask for more info in an answer.

Interview Questions
    No salary negotiation. Starting rate is set and pay increases happen with satisfactory progression through program. Start date is set the same for everyone in program.

Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Online application, lengthy evaluation, in person interview. Very lengthy process - 6 months.

Interview Questions
    Positions are based on the GS pay schedule, which incorporates grade and step. The grade isn't negotiable, but the step is. Ask for a higher step in the job grade, i.e. GS-11 step 6 rather than step 1.

Architect Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

I applied online and was contacted a month later to see if I was interested in a face to face interview (They reimbursed me for my flight and hotel stay). I had 2 people in my interview-my direct supervisor and the supervisor of another division that I would be working with. About a month after my interview I was given a tentative offer that was followed with a firm offer and I completed some initial paperwork. I applied for the job in mid May, interviewed in July, offered a job in August and started work at the end of September.

Interview Questions
    • It was a typical architecture interview. They asked me about my construction and design experience and looked at my work portfolio. They had a list of questions that they asked each of the 3 people they interviewed. They didn't as me any behavioral interview questions but I have had that experience in other Corps interviews.   Answer Question

Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Initial phone call- Went over basics of jobs and made sure still interested. In person interview - basically just confirmed that I would be happy in the position. Less than twenty minutes. Started the next week.

I didn't negotiate

Realty Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Difficult. Because of hiring practices by the government, and me not fitting the preffered status I had to work as a contractor first, and then apply for federal status. Took three years. As far as the interview, I can not really state as I was targeted for some unique qualifications.

Take it or leave it.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

I was hired on as a summer hire during college, wasn't an interview at all. They didn't ask me questions just showed me where my desk was.

Interview Questions
    I didn't have one, was a summer hire.