US Bureau of Economic Analysis

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis in December 2009.

Interview Details – The Federal hiring process is SLLLOOOOOOW. I applied in May and received a phonecall in September. But then they weren't cleared to interview people until December.

The people there are really top notch. They kind of ooze intelligence, which probably makes it an exciting place for nerds to be around. I was interviewed by several people....we discussed my research and analysis background plus my proficiency with different softwares. Topics really didn't deviate much from the extensive list of supplemental questions I answered just to submit my application.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with Visual Basic?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The people were excellent...but...they seemed a bit on the introverted side.
I had two other job offers pending at the time; it was nothing personal, and I might look into other positions there in the future.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis in September 2009.

Interview Details – Spent hours uploading documents online, didn't get any response for three months. After the initial phone interview I found out the position was in a city I had not included in my availability. Declined at that point.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The agency didn't spend the time to look at my available locations, and was pushing for a relocation. Seemed a omen of things to come.

Economist

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis in April 2010.

Interview Details – I received a call from HR and they scheduled me at my own expense to interview at three different divisions - Regional Economics, Balance of PAyments and International Investments. First I interviewed with a lady at Regional Economics and with her Boss, the section chief. I felt I did well, it was typical skills interview. I personally think I was a top candidate...

Later, I interviewed at Balance of Payments and they are top notch folks... They asked me lots of questions on current account, GDP, etc. They explained lots of things to me. I was interviewed by the branch chief togetehr with 2 economists and later by the section chief....

Later I was interviewed at International Investment. It took us 5 minutes because I did not like what they do. I put it to them that I was not inteersted in working for them and they understood....

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – took first offer- no negotiation

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US Bureau of Economic Analysis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Bureau of Economic Analysis Economist interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Bureau of Economic Analysis employees and interview candidates.