US Bureau of Labor Statistics

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Bureau of Labor Statistics

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Economist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in March 2014.

After you put in your application and make it to"referral" status, managers will review your credentials. If managers of certain sections/departments/offices want to interview you, they will communicate with their offices HR director.

The HR director will contact you via email and/or phone. For me, he both called me and used email to communicate. He will tell you that there are managers who would like to interview you for the position and will ask for your availability.

Based on your availability and location, he will set up either telephone or in-person interviews. He will send you the date, time, name of the manager that wants to interview you and the office they are in. This is great information for research.

If it is a phone interview, the manager will call you at the specified time. They will introduce themselves and, hopefully, they wont put you on speaker phone. My worst experiences came from phone interviews with multiple people, mainly because of the poor functionality of speaker phone and short time available.

It is hit or miss on whether you will enjoy the interview process. Some interviewers will tell you very little about the job and some will spend 25 minutes talking about it. Some will jump straight to questions. Some will seem like they already have their mind made up, which I guess, is just the nature of the beast.

Most important aspects:

1. You must be able to turn your experience into the job requirements

2. You must be able to talk, in detail, about your resume

3. You must speak in complete sentences. Most interviewers I spoke with enjoyed my explanations more when they were explicit (planned/practiced). For example, you start an explanation with "for example" (No surprises there).

4. Having questions prepared is a must. I do not think I can stress that enough. They want to hear from you.

Interview Questions
  • It really differs by interviewer. I was asked about my future, where I saw myself in 5-10 years, strengths and weaknesses, even about academic research and results.

More detailed questions were about experiences I have had collecting and dealing with the nuances of data (difficulties). So have a good story about data collect, manipulation, problems you ran into along way, etc. Some specifically asked me about my experience with statistical packages such as SAS.

In conclusion, be prepared to answer all of the cliche interview questions, as well as, prepare good stories about data collection/analysis, applying economic theory, working well with others and/or in a team and statistical packages.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

USAJOBS can be a difficult hurdle to leap over for any Federal Job. The site has gotten better in the past few years but it is still something like quicksand for resumes.

The BLS specific interview process was an amazingly convenient and clearly explained process. The Human Resources employees are very friendly and knowledgeable. They were very quick to allow a phone interview, which is not always the case with other employers.

Interview Questions

Salary was not enough to rent an apartment in the DC area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in August 2012.

I applied through USAJobs and was one of the few rare people to actually get an interview. I applied to a particular announcement which I did not get selected for but was called later on that week for an interview for a position that was using the same vacancy announcement. I had one telephone interview with my Branch Chief. The questions revolved around team work as well as my ability to teach basic and advanced concepts to indivudals of all ages and educational backgrounds.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations. I had tried but they would not budge on a single thing. This is typical of government agencies especially in the type of fiscal environment we are in now. I did however get a small salary bump because my previous government job straddled a GS-9 step 1 and step 2 and so the BLS decided to bump me to a GS-9 step 2.

Economist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in August 2011.

Met a recruiter at a job fair. They followed up with me about 3-4 months later. Interview process lasted about 1 month. No phone interview, just a call with HR to go over the interview process. Interview was an all-day event because I met with managers from 5 different departments. I got an offer a couple weeks later.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in June 2011.

Typical interview process. They interview you and then let you know if you get the job.

Interview Questions
    Offer letter that I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in July 2009.

Applied on usajobs.gov, contacted months later through email. Finally booked an appointment, never received the itinerary of the interview, only received a hand written index card with the name of interviewers after telling them about their failure. Moved from one interview to another, had to find the rooms on different floors. They had me rank the different interviewers. Don't believe all the complements they give you, they are protecting themselves from future competitions. The cubicles were mainly empty.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2009.

Interviewed with 20 interview managers throughout a day. Some interviews were done in groups, others one-on-one.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. You're subject to the GS pay scale.