US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Economist

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in March 2014.

Interview Details – After you put in your application and make it to"referral" status, managers will review your credentials. If managers of certain sections/departments/offices want to interview you, they will communicate with their offices HR director.

The HR director will contact you via email and/or phone. For me, he both called me and used email to communicate. He will tell you that there are managers who would like to interview you for the position and will ask for your availability.

Based on your availability and location, he will set up either telephone or in-person interviews. He will send you the date, time, name of the manager that wants to interview you and the office they are in. This is great information for research.

If it is a phone interview, the manager will call you at the specified time. They will introduce themselves and, hopefully, they wont put you on speaker phone. My worst experiences came from phone interviews with multiple people, mainly because of the poor functionality of speaker phone and short time available.

It is hit or miss on whether you will enjoy the interview process. Some interviewers will tell you very little about the job and some will spend 25 minutes talking about it. Some will jump straight to questions. Some will seem like they already have their mind made up, which I guess, is just the nature of the beast.

Most important aspects:

1. You must be able to turn your experience into the job requirements

2. You must be able to talk, in detail, about your resume

3. You must speak in complete sentences. Most interviewers I spoke with enjoyed my explanations more when they were explicit (planned/practiced). For example, you start an explanation with "for example" (No surprises there).

4. Having questions prepared is a must. I do not think I can stress that enough. They want to hear from you.

Interview Question – It really differs by interviewer. I was asked about my future, where I saw myself in 5-10 years, strengths and weaknesses, even about academic research and results.

More detailed questions were about experiences I have had collecting and dealing with the nuances of data (difficulties). So have a good story about data collect, manipulation, problems you ran into along way, etc. Some specifically asked me about my experience with statistical packages such as SAS.

In conclusion, be prepared to answer all of the cliche interview questions, as well as, prepare good stories about data collection/analysis, applying economic theory, working well with others and/or in a team and statistical packages.
  Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in June 2011.

Interview Details – Typical interview process. They interview you and then let you know if you get the job.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer letter that I accepted.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview Details – USAJOBS can be a difficult hurdle to leap over for any Federal Job. The site has gotten better in the past few years but it is still something like quicksand for resumes.

The BLS specific interview process was an amazingly convenient and clearly explained process. The Human Resources employees are very friendly and knowledgeable. They were very quick to allow a phone interview, which is not always the case with other employers.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was not enough to rent an apartment in the DC area.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through USAJobs and was one of the few rare people to actually get an interview. I applied to a particular announcement which I did not get selected for but was called later on that week for an interview for a position that was using the same vacancy announcement. I had one telephone interview with my Branch Chief. The questions revolved around team work as well as my ability to teach basic and advanced concepts to indivudals of all ages and educational backgrounds.

Interview Question – They were all pretty straitghtforward questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiations. I had tried but they would not budge on a single thing. This is typical of government agencies especially in the type of fiscal environment we are in now. I did however get a small salary bump because my previous government job straddled a GS-9 step 1 and step 2 and so the BLS decided to bump me to a GS-9 step 2.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 20 interview managers throughout a day. Some interviews were done in groups, others one-on-one.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You're subject to the GS pay scale.

Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in July 2009.

Interview Details – Applied on usajobs.gov, contacted months later through email. Finally booked an appointment, never received the itinerary of the interview, only received a hand written index card with the name of interviewers after telling them about their failure. Moved from one interview to another, had to find the rooms on different floors. They had me rank the different interviewers. Don't believe all the complements they give you, they are protecting themselves from future competitions. The cubicles were mainly empty.

Interview Questions

Worked for US Bureau of Labor Statistics? Contribute to the Community!