US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in January 2008.

Interview Details – First, expect a lengthy hiring process that will likely take a few months or more to completion.

The first part of the hiring process involves filling out a long online application. The bulk of this application centers on KSA, or Knowledge Skill Assessments, which prompt the applicant to write an essay describing their experience and skills in a particular area. I cannot stress enough that you must do well on these KSAs or you won't even be called in for an interview. They get scored by a Subject Matter Expert. Only the candidates with the highest-rated KSA scores will make it to the interview round.

Interview Question – How would you create a document imaging application?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They initially lowballed me and said they could only offer a Step 1. I would have had to take a 20k cut in pay to take this job. But after talking with the HR Specialist, he offered to try to do something for me. They had to do some paperwork, but I was eventually able to get a Step 9 at 20k more. So I would tell other candidates to not just accept what they offer. Bargain in a tactful way. Do not act demanding or pushy.

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview Details – Wonderful people and a very smooth interview process.

Interview Question – Please define a SAS macro.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – N/A

Worked for US Bureau of Labor Statistics? Contribute to the Community!