US Bureau of Labor Statistics Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Reset

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC).

Interview

USAJOBS can be a difficult hurdle to leap over for any Federal Job. The site has gotten better in the past few years but it is still something like quicksand for resumes.

The BLS specific interview process was an amazingly convenient and clearly explained process. The Human Resources employees are very friendly and knowledgeable. They were very quick to allow a phone interview, which is not always the case with other employers.

Interview Questions

Salary was not enough to rent an apartment in the DC area.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in December 2012.

Interview

Applied for Program Analyst position at Washington, DC headquarters in October 2012 via USAJobs.gov. Interviewed one-on-one with Hiring Manager in December 2012 during their "Interview Week". Multiple groups within BLS were looking to hire Program Analysts however I only interviewed for one group. I received an offer from HR a week and a half later. I'm currently a fed at another agency and this was a status (internal) opening.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions regarding budgets, customer service, and administrative functions.
      Soft skills questions regarding communication skills and working in a team, these were asked in "behavioral interview" style.

Answer Question

Negotiation

I'm a current fed and for me the position was a promotion to GS-9 so I will start at GS-9, step 1 ($51,630). The position is a GS-9/11/12 career ladder so I will be promoted to GS-11 next year and GS-12 the year after.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

Typical interview process. They interview you and then let you know if you get the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer letter that I accepted.

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. I was asked expected questions and felt my responses were well received. The interview was conducted by phone; this was a first for me so I was quite nervous. To my surprise, I was not as uncomfortable as I anticipated. I was able to articulate my responsibilities in my former position clearly. I also felt comfortable asking follow-up questions with respect to the hiring process. In particular, I asked what the timetable was in terms of selecting a candidate. I also asked that I be informed if another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• What publications have you written?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in July 2009.

Interview

Applied on usajobs.gov, contacted months later through email. Finally booked an appointment, never received the itinerary of the interview, only received a hand written index card with the name of interviewers after telling them about their failure. Moved from one interview to another, had to find the rooms on different floors. They had me rank the different interviewers. Don't believe all the complements they give you, they are protecting themselves from future competitions. The cubicles were mainly empty.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in May 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with 20 interview managers throughout a day. Some interviews were done in groups, others one-on-one.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. You're subject to the GS pay scale.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in January 2008.

Interview

First, expect a lengthy hiring process that will likely take a few months or more to completion.

The first part of the hiring process involves filling out a long online application. The bulk of this application centers on KSA, or Knowledge Skill Assessments, which prompt the applicant to write an essay describing their experience and skills in a particular area. I cannot stress enough that you must do well on these KSAs or you won't even be called in for an interview. They get scored by a Subject Matter Expert. Only the candidates with the highest-rated KSA scores will make it to the interview round.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a document imaging application?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They initially lowballed me and said they could only offer a Step 1. I would have had to take a 20k cut in pay to take this job. But after talking with the HR Specialist, he offered to try to do something for me. They had to do some paperwork, but I was eventually able to get a Step 9 at 20k more. So I would tell other candidates to not just accept what they offer. Bargain in a tactful way. Do not act demanding or pushy.