US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in June 2011.

Interview Details – Typical interview process. They interview you and then let you know if you get the job.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer letter that I accepted.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview Details – USAJOBS can be a difficult hurdle to leap over for any Federal Job. The site has gotten better in the past few years but it is still something like quicksand for resumes.

The BLS specific interview process was an amazingly convenient and clearly explained process. The Human Resources employees are very friendly and knowledgeable. They were very quick to allow a phone interview, which is not always the case with other employers.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was not enough to rent an apartment in the DC area.

Program Analyst Interview

Program Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for Program Analyst position at Washington, DC headquarters in October 2012 via USAJobs.gov. Interviewed one-on-one with Hiring Manager in December 2012 during their "Interview Week". Multiple groups within BLS were looking to hire Program Analysts however I only interviewed for one group. I received an offer from HR a week and a half later. I'm currently a fed at another agency and this was a status (internal) opening.

Interview Question – Technical questions regarding budgets, customer service, and administrative functions.
Soft skills questions regarding communication skills and working in a team, these were asked in "behavioral interview" style.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm a current fed and for me the position was a promotion to GS-9 so I will start at GS-9, step 1 ($51,630). The position is a GS-9/11/12 career ladder so I will be promoted to GS-11 next year and GS-12 the year after.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 20 interview managers throughout a day. Some interviews were done in groups, others one-on-one.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You're subject to the GS pay scale.

Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in July 2009.

Interview Details – Applied on usajobs.gov, contacted months later through email. Finally booked an appointment, never received the itinerary of the interview, only received a hand written index card with the name of interviewers after telling them about their failure. Moved from one interview to another, had to find the rooms on different floors. They had me rank the different interviewers. Don't believe all the complements they give you, they are protecting themselves from future competitions. The cubicles were mainly empty.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Research Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was straightforward. I was asked expected questions and felt my responses were well received. The interview was conducted by phone; this was a first for me so I was quite nervous. To my surprise, I was not as uncomfortable as I anticipated. I was able to articulate my responsibilities in my former position clearly. I also felt comfortable asking follow-up questions with respect to the hiring process. In particular, I asked what the timetable was in terms of selecting a candidate. I also asked that I be informed if another candidate was selected.

Interview Question – What publications have you written?   View Answer

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in January 2008.

Interview Details – First, expect a lengthy hiring process that will likely take a few months or more to completion.

The first part of the hiring process involves filling out a long online application. The bulk of this application centers on KSA, or Knowledge Skill Assessments, which prompt the applicant to write an essay describing their experience and skills in a particular area. I cannot stress enough that you must do well on these KSAs or you won't even be called in for an interview. They get scored by a Subject Matter Expert. Only the candidates with the highest-rated KSA scores will make it to the interview round.

Interview Question – How would you create a document imaging application?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They initially lowballed me and said they could only offer a Step 1. I would have had to take a 20k cut in pay to take this job. But after talking with the HR Specialist, he offered to try to do something for me. They had to do some paperwork, but I was eventually able to get a Step 9 at 20k more. So I would tell other candidates to not just accept what they offer. Bargain in a tactful way. Do not act demanding or pushy.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US Bureau of Labor Statistics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Bureau of Labor Statistics interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Bureau of Labor Statistics employees and interview candidates.