US Bureau of Land Management

Relevance Date Difficulty

Range Technician Interview

Range Technician

Interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management

Interview Details – Easy interview, wanted to make sure you could pass the Physical tests Questions on being available.

Interview Question – How fast can you run 1.5 miles   Answer Question

Law Enforcement Interview

Law Enforcement

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management.

Interview Details – Panel phone interview with two managers - general questions in STAR format. In my opinion, and I could be wrong but I do not necessarily feel that the people who interviewed me were very knowledgeable about the facets of the position which I was trying to obtain. They seemed genuine, just uninformed.

Interview Question – It was a very precise STAR Format question with extremely precise details and build-up and ended with what would you do. In hindsight, I do not believe the interviewers had any idea about the details which were included in the question, but were just reading it from a form.   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineering Technician Interview

Petroleum Engineering Technician
Dickinson, ND

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management.

Interview Details – Applied online in 8/2012, on 11/2/2012 received email notification "You were rated among the best qualified candidates and your application has been referred to the selecting official." On 11/09/2012 telephone interview was scheduled for 12/03/2012.

On 12/03/2012 telephone interview was conducted with 5 member panel conference call.
On 12/17/2012 Tentative Selection Letter received
Had to complete Physical, Background Check, Security Clarence
1/17/2013 received Confirmation Letter and final offer notification
1/20/2013 Notice to Report and start date of 3/18/2013
1/22/2013 PCS Relocation Package
1/28/2013 Withdrew from position
1/30/2013 Travel Authorization

Interview Question – I was ask numerous questions ranging from where I see my self in 5 years, to my future education plans, to what is the most difficult math I had ever applied to a work situation and that one was the most difficult for me. I have completed numerous math classes in college, but could not really recall when I had used any high end math in the work place.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Originally I had excepted the offer and was moving forward to start date. However, during the process my truck broke down costing me a very large of my saving, the very savings I was going to use to move and setup for new job and because of this had to decline the position.

Petroleum Engineering Interview

Petroleum Engineering

I applied online - interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview with 3 people in a conference. General questions about how to work in teams. and how to manage several tasks at the same time.

Interview Question – What would I do if I strongly disagree with my boss. They ask me to describe the steps to solve that and show me to my boss I had the right procedure for the problem.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Wildland Firefighter Interview

Senior Wildland Firefighter
Cedar City, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management in January 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was quite simple. I got called in and was asked a few simple questions. Is I was physically fit. How well I can adapt to changing situations, can I be away from home for long periods of time and am I am good follower. The supervisors are dressed in nomex (fire resistant pants) and a t-shirt. I was told later that they usual will know if you are hired solo based on you physique. And if you already know someone that works for the blm the that will be extremely beneficial!

Interview Question – Can I be away from home for long periods of time. You need to really take this question into consideration!,   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, as the position is seasonal, you will be an "at will employee" which mean if you don't perform they can fire you at anytime,

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management.

Interview Details – One interview, via phone. A few basic/background questions, then some to gauge your ability to perform in a team environment. Interviewers were enthusiastic and personable, seemed knowledgeable on both the questions being asked and the responses. Last questions were highly technical, and I believe there was no single 'right answer' - they were looking for problem solving skills. Note that all of the interview panel members are in a field related to the job in question, and your technical answers will likely be discussed after the call.

Interview Question – "How would you deal with a personal offense committed against you in the workplace." (It felt pointed, as though it's been a problem before?) Caught me off guard.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated start date only. Salary, moving expense and benefits were all locked.

State Property Manager Interview

State Property Manager
Reno, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initial applications are received via USAJOBS. The evaluation and selection process takes a very long time. Depending on the situation the interview ranges from one to a panel and can be via either phone or in person. After the interview, the candidate must often wait for notification from HR if not selected. In my situation, I found out I was not selected when the hiring manager sent out an announcement to the entire organization notifying employees of who was selected. This is a rather cold conclusion, especially when candidate is from within the organization and knows the selecting official.

Interview Question – How would you address a circumstance in which you disagree with your supervisor's decision or actions in a particular instance?   View Answer

Ranger Interview

Ranger

The process took a day - interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management in March 2010.

Interview Details – I have been trying to get a government job for a while, more looking than applying to be honest though. i recently applied for a park ranger position with the BLM and found the experience very professional and easy going. Since I am young and applying for seasonal work many of th questions pertained to future intentions.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself working in five years?   Answer Question
  • what do you feel is the best way to deal with people endangering themselves or other patrons within your jurisdiction?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US Bureau of Land Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Bureau of Land Management interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Bureau of Land Management employees and interview candidates.