US Bureau of Land Management Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015

2.9

Interview

I applied mid December 2014. Mid. January 2015 recieved a phone call from the selecting officiall stating that. my application has been refered and to see if im still interested in the posstion. Although i have 14 seasons of fire experience, but i was out of fire for a few seasons. I was told that i would not get hired becuause ive been out of fire for a period of time. So basically it doesnt matter how much experience you have if you been out of fire for a while they wont even look at you.

Interview Questions

• no questions were asked. it was not an interview. it was just an intest call. and that they dont hire people thats been out of fire for a while.. even though i have 14 years of wildland firefighting expeeience   1 Answer

Range Technician Interview

Interview

Easy interview, wanted to make sure you could pass the Physical tests Questions on being available.

Law Enforcement Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Land Management.

Interview

Panel phone interview with two managers - general questions in STAR format. In my opinion, and I could be wrong but I do not necessarily feel that the people who interviewed me were very knowledgeable about the facets of the position which I was trying to obtain. They seemed genuine, just uninformed.

Interview Questions

• It was a very precise STAR Format question with extremely precise details and build-up and ended with what would you do. In hindsight, I do not believe the interviewers had any idea about the details which were included in the question, but were just reading it from a form.   Answer Question

Contact Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Anchorage, AK) in June 2013.

Interview

The process was very informal, as I was hired as a unpaid intern. There was an initial phone screen interview. The 2nd phase was in person. The manager was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I heard about the position, what my career goals were.   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dickinson, ND

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Dickinson, ND).

Interview

Applied online in 8/2012, on 11/2/2012 received email notification "You were rated among the best qualified candidates and your application has been referred to the selecting official." On 11/09/2012 telephone interview was scheduled for 12/03/2012.

On 12/03/2012 telephone interview was conducted with 5 member panel conference call.
    On 12/17/2012 Tentative Selection Letter received
    Had to complete Physical, Background Check, Security Clarence
    1/17/2013 received Confirmation Letter and final offer notification
    1/20/2013 Notice to Report and start date of 3/18/2013
    1/22/2013 PCS Relocation Package
    1/28/2013 Withdrew from position
    1/30/2013 Travel Authorization

Interview Questions

• I was ask numerous questions ranging from where I see my self in 5 years, to my future education plans, to what is the most difficult math I had ever applied to a work situation and that one was the most difficult for me. I have completed numerous math classes in college, but could not really recall when I had used any high end math in the work place.   Answer Question

Originally I had excepted the offer and was moving forward to start date. However, during the process my truck broke down costing me a very large of my saving, the very savings I was going to use to move and setup for new job and because of this had to decline the position.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with 3 people in a conference. General questions about how to work in teams. and how to manage several tasks at the same time.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if I strongly disagree with my boss. They ask me to describe the steps to solve that and show me to my boss I had the right procedure for the problem.   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Bureau of Land Management.

Interview

One interview, via phone. A few basic/background questions, then some to gauge your ability to perform in a team environment. Interviewers were enthusiastic and personable, seemed knowledgeable on both the questions being asked and the responses. Last questions were highly technical, and I believe there was no single 'right answer' - they were looking for problem solving skills. Note that all of the interview panel members are in a field related to the job in question, and your technical answers will likely be discussed after the call.

Interview Questions

• "How would you deal with a personal offense committed against you in the workplace." (It felt pointed, as though it's been a problem before?) Caught me off guard.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated start date only. Salary, moving expense and benefits were all locked.

State Property Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Reno, NV) in July 2011.

Interview

Initial applications are received via USAJOBS. The evaluation and selection process takes a very long time. Depending on the situation the interview ranges from one to a panel and can be via either phone or in person. After the interview, the candidate must often wait for notification from HR if not selected. In my situation, I found out I was not selected when the hiring manager sent out an announcement to the entire organization notifying employees of who was selected. This is a rather cold conclusion, especially when candidate is from within the organization and knows the selecting official.

Interview Questions

• How would you address a circumstance in which you disagree with your supervisor's decision or actions in a particular instance?   1 Answer

Associate Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Bureau of Land Management in June 2010.

Interview

Very difficult to secure an interview because initial process is scored by a computer and many positions are already per-filled by an internal applicant but announced on USA Jobs anyway as if the hiring agency was actually considering outside hires.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have dealing with native Americans?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Senior Wildland Firefighter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Cedar City, UT) in January 2009.

Interview

The interview process was quite simple. I got called in and was asked a few simple questions. Is I was physically fit. How well I can adapt to changing situations, can I be away from home for long periods of time and am I am good follower. The supervisors are dressed in nomex (fire resistant pants) and a t-shirt. I was told later that they usual will know if you are hired solo based on you physique. And if you already know someone that works for the blm the that will be extremely beneficial!

Interview Questions

• Can I be away from home for long periods of time. You need to really take this question into consideration!,   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, as the position is seasonal, you will be an "at will employee" which mean if you don't perform they can fire you at anytime,