US Census Bureau Clerk Interview Questions

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Census Bureau (San Antonio, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

In person skills test, 10 minute scripted phone interview, background check

Interview Questions

• would you prefer field work or to work in an office or no preference   1 Answer
  • do you have experience with general administrative work such as filing, microsoft office, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, straight offer

Other Interview Reviews for US Census Bureau

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lock Haven, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Lock Haven, PA) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview process was the easiest I've gone through. Once you submit an application, they have a test you must take in order to be hired. if you pass the test, they call you with a job opportunity and ask if you would like it. Once you say yes, they set up a time for training. That's it. That's all there is to it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. They offered and I accepted. I don't think you can negotiate here.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Interview

I had to take a test and get a certain score to be selected. The test was a joke I got a 98 with one question wrong but they grade on a huge curve you need 10 questions right to pass and if you only get 1 right you get a 56% haha. Then i got a call almost 3 months later and a 5 minute interview later I was offered a job that i took.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a car or can you get one.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No. It's a government job so there is not much you can do in that department.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Census Bureau in January 2010.

Interview

To apply, I had to fill out an application and take a test

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau in June 2009.

Interview

I took a skills test in December, and enumerated for a month in April. After that, I submitted an application for a clerk position in the middle of May. I had my interview in the first week of June. It was a challange- I was interviewed by 3 people, and each person was from a different department, with different skills sets desired. But, I played it straightforward and confidently, and made a good impression! The interview took 45 minutes to the tee. A week later, they called around for references- and they do check, so be careful- and that came out all right. A week after that, I was offered the job!

Interview Questions

• What is the skill that you are most proud of?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate my pay or grade.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Census Bureau in August 2008.

Interview

There is a basic skills test, essentially a literacy test. I checked IQ/Intelligence test above because that is probably the closest although on second thought, a skills test would be closer. If you finished 8th grade you should have no trouble with this test. Make it 6th grade. You take the test and then wait a couple of weeks or months depending on various factors for them to call you for an interview. Then you are given the option of phone or in-person interview. I chose the in-person, although in retrospect I don't think it makes a difference. The interview for the clerk position is not challenging. Apparently they just want to verify that you can understand and speak English at a fairly basic level and that you did not utter any obscenities and can be somewhat courteous. Here are the questions that I can remember: 1. Do you have transportation to get here? 2. Why do you want this job? 3. Do you have computer experience? A simple "yes" here is a good answer. I don't think elabloration is required. 4. If offered this job, will you accept it? There were no challenging questions that I can recall. None of those "tell me about a time that you had a conflict with a co-worker and explain how you resolved it" None of that. Not even a "tell me about yourself" . I was grateful for that.

Interview Questions

• Do you have transporation to get here?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want this job?   1 Answer
    • Do you have computer experience.   1 Answer
    • If offered this job, will you accept it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. You take what is offered. I think. Maybe I should have tried to negotiate. Probably would not have worked.