US Census Bureau

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process included: 1. Online Application 2. Skills/Aptitude test 3. General Census Training (also a "group interview" for management positions).

1. Online Application is straightforward and easy
2. Skills/Aptitude Test is relatively easy if you have a college degree
3. Training is also very straightforward with opportunity to express your desire for a management position.

If you are a self-starter, this is a great job for you. You will be surrounded by a lot of "government worker mentality".

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the process is navigating the training and identifying the level of leadership you want to pursue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Hourly rates are set.

Very Easy Interview

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Census Bureau in January 2010.

Interview Details – Took a test and was hired on that basis

Interview Question – None really   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2010.

Interview Details – I had to take a skills test, which was not hard at all. It tests for your understanding of reading, basic mathematics, clerical skills, and so on and only takes an hour. 2 months later I was offered a job opportunity to be a crew leader. The phone interview was very simple. My interviewer basically told me that I had received the position, asked me if i'd be willing and able to do certain things (such as go door to door in my neighborhood), if i'd be willing to deal with unruly people, and more).

Interview Questions

Crew Leader

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Census Bureau in February 2010.

Interview Details – Online application, then scheduled for a test, then phone interview and job offer.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Crew Leader

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Interview Details – Phone call interview. Wasnt much to it. The questions were basically do you feel confortable being a supervisor, can you supervise more than 20 people, Do you feel confortable getting finger printed and finger printing other people. knowing this is a temp job, is it ok to work and stop without notice?

Interview Question – there were no unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation process

Crew Leader

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2010.

Interview Details – I called my local Census Bureau office here in Pennsylvania in early March to inquire about taking the skills test. The person I spoke with asked me for my zip code and he gave me a location where a test would be held that weekend. I thought that it was appointment-based, but it turned out that it was open to the public. All of us had to take the test together at the same time, so the people who showed up early had to wait as people walked into the room late and then forgot their IDs and had to run out to their cars to get them. You should show up 15 minutes early so you can fill out the official employment application and an I-9 form.

The test was super easy. It was EXACTLY like the practice test on the census website. So, print it out and take it. Time yourself and make sure that you can answer the 28 questions within 30 minutes. It was a very easy test. The proctor graded our tests and gave us our test scores. She called us up one-by-one to show us our grades. One of my friends who took the test in Delaware said that they called out the test scores for the whole room to hear. So do well or you might feel embarrassed if your score is read aloud!

Depending on how well you score and the availability of work in your area, you may receive a call from your local Census office for a phone interview. I received a call out of the blue about two weeks after I took the test. After playing phone tag for a while, I was finally able to speak to the Census representative. I'll admit that I prepared myself a bit by searching the internet for "Census Bureau phone interview" where I found this site. The phone interview first began with a description of the crew leader position, which was several sentences that he read. The next part consisted of a series of Yes or No questions -- a "checklist" as the interviewer stated. He asked questions like, "Are you still interested in working for the Census Bureau?" "Do you know the geography of your neighborhood well?" "Are you comfortable knocking on people's doors to obtain census information from them?" "Are you comfortable teaching a training session for enumerators?" If I remember correctly, you will answer "Yes" to all of the questions since they were all "are you comfortable with..." and "are you willing to..." types of questions. You won't really need to elaborate on your answer -- at least, I didn't. Most of my answers were like, "Yes, absolutely" or "Yes, that sounds fine." I did elaborate on one question where he asked if I would be comfortable training enumerators in a classroom from a standard manual. I answered yes and that I have experience teaching, so this would not be a problem for me. I could tell that he was writing it down by the way he reflected me answer, so it made me wonder if he sort of expected longer responses from me on the other questions. I really doubt it, though.

Then he summed up the interview with the "now that you know what is expected of a crew leader, are you still interested in the position?" Yes, of course. Then he gave me information for the training session (which begins in one week). He also asked me if I had any questions about the position, which I thought of a few (at least to make myself seem more interested in knowing about the position).

The whole thing from the exam to the phone interview was fairly easy. I was a little nervous knowing that there was a phone interview. Don't be. It's really easy and hopefully you'll get a nice person who is easy to speak with. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with your neighborhood and the surrounding area?   View Answer
  • Are you willing to attend a training session that will last a week (Monday to Friday) from 9am to 5pm on "X" date?   View Answer
  • Are you comfortable teaching enumerators in a classroom from standard manuals and training them on the procedures of being an enumerator?   View Answer
  • Are you comfortable supervising and leading a team of 3-10 enumerators? (This would entail assuring the quality of their work, scheduling times to enumerate, and entering in payroll information.)   View Answer
  • Are you able to work nights and weekends for the 60 days that you are expected to be employed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay is non-negotiable. However, the pay for the crew leader is higher than pay for the enumerators, which was a nice surprise. In my area, enumerators make $15.25 and the crew leader rate is $17.25.

Crew Leader

The process took a day - interviewed at US Census Bureau in August 2009.

Interview Details – first you have to take and pass a basic skills test. then you have take and pass a supervisor test. beat out everyone in your area. pass a basic background check. then fill out a TON of paper work. then you get a call and a phone interview.

Interview Question – would you still be interested?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Census Bureau

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Census Bureau Crew Leader interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Census Bureau employees and interview candidates.