US Census Bureau Enumerator Interview Questions

1.5

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntsville, AL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Initially, it begins with a phone call. Then, you're contacted. You go to a testing location. You have to take a basic test which checks your ability to read maps and addresses. You usually find out pretty quickly whether you passed or not.

flat rate

Other Interview Reviews for US Census Bureau

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2013.

First, I received a phone call. The job description, including salary, were described to me. I was being invited to take a test, with the intention to be hired a month or so after the phone call. There were scheduled tests in a few locations. I chose a location (a library) and time. I brought my resume, a list of references, a pencil, and something to keep myself entertained, such as a book. A bunch of people took the test together. It was very easy. A sample test is available at census.gov. Next, each of us was interviewed one by one. I was asked to read a sample survey and annunciate clearly. I was also asked to answer questions using examples of my experience, including describing what happened, what the problem was, and how I solved it. Following directions may have been more important than the experiences described.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed, what was the problem, and how you overcame the problem.   Answer Question
    No negotiation with the US government. They are very up front about the salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

I did not have a traditional job interview. I received a phone call informing me when my job would start and about the training. During this call, I was asked if I was still available to work and willing to work the days and hours available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in June 2010.

1. Take the Bureau's test.
    2. Wait, wait.
    3. Say, "Yes", when phoned and asked if you're available to work.

Interview Questions
    • Bone up on your basic math skills. The San Francisco Public Library has excellent online programs to learn basic math skills.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. It's take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

I heard from a friend about it and so I applied with her. I don't remember if I registered first or if it was open. There is an initial test that you have to take and get a perfect score, based on analytical and practical skills. They didn't have an official department I guess, so it was taken in a small room at the Westminster mall. After you pass the test (you find out immediately), you are hired and then details about the next step are given - training and etc.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were very difficult. There was actually a practice test you could take online as well   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albany, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Fill out an application, take a basic test that checks your arithmetic, reading and writing capabilities, sit around and wait for an phone interview. Basic interview very short and a job offer right there on the spot. You must be able to past a fingerprint screening and take an oath to protect people's confidential information.

There was no negotiating. Here is the job title and duties, and this is the pay. Do you accept?

Enumerator Interview

Submitted online application. Received call for scheduled test date. Test consisted of basic map reading and house address type questions. Those with 100 percent were automatically hired. I had 97% and didn't get an offer of employment for another 2 weeks. No personal interview, just place and time for training.

Interview Questions
    • There were no personal interviews, it was all competency-based.   Answer Question
    Enumerator positions have set pay. No negotiations. However, the pay was great for our small town.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winchester, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, VA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at US Census Bureau in February 2010.

Exam taken locally. Phone interview conducted a month before classes. You are paid during class room training. A day or two is spent out in the field with your instructor when conducting your first census surveys.

Interview Questions
    • Don't be discouraged if you aren't able to finish or answer correctly all of the exam questions. Very important that you completed the sample exam before taking the actual test.   Answer Question
    Paid standard government rate as an enumerator. Doubt that a better compensation could be negotiated.

Enumerator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

I believe I found out about this position through an ad in the newspaper. I applied online and got a call back about a month later. I had a group interview that was very uncomfortable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Seen an ad locally about open testing. Called the 800 number to schedule testing. Went to testing location, answered 30 questions (2 were examples and basically answers were given, so 28 questions) I received a score of 27. Received phone call 2-3 months later asking if I was still interested in a position with US Census. I replied that I was. A week later I received a call discussing the Enumerator position and if I was interested. It seemed like an interview with the simple yes or no questions to which once completed I was told where to go to start my training and when.

Interview Questions
    • Had no typical interview question, just availability questions. Like ... are you available to work at least 20 hours a week? Do you have reliable transportation?   Answer Question

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!