US Census Bureau Enumerator Interview Questions

1.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Concord, CA).

Interview

I did not have a traditional job interview. I received a phone call informing me when my job would start and about the training. During this call, I was asked if I was still available to work and willing to work the days and hours available.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Census Bureau

Enumerator Interview

Interview

Submitted online application. Received call for scheduled test date. Test consisted of basic map reading and house address type questions. Those with 100 percent were automatically hired. I had 97% and didn't get an offer of employment for another 2 weeks. No personal interview, just place and time for training.

Interview Questions

• There were no personal interviews, it was all competency-based.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Enumerator positions have set pay. No negotiations. However, the pay was great for our small town.

Enumerator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

I believe I found out about this position through an ad in the newspaper. I applied online and got a call back about a month later. I had a group interview that was very uncomfortable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at US Census Bureau (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Seen an ad locally about open testing. Called the 800 number to schedule testing. Went to testing location, answered 30 questions (2 were examples and basically answers were given, so 28 questions) I received a score of 27. Received phone call 2-3 months later asking if I was still interested in a position with US Census. I replied that I was. A week later I received a call discussing the Enumerator position and if I was interested. It seemed like an interview with the simple yes or no questions to which once completed I was told where to go to start my training and when.

Interview Questions

• Had no typical interview question, just availability questions. Like ... are you available to work at least 20 hours a week? Do you have reliable transportation?   Answer Question

Enumerator Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

The hiring process for an enumerator with the US Census Bureau starts with a basic test. Basic math, grammar, reading maps. Once that test is submitted, a candidate will likely be contact via phone for a short interview. Depending on availability, the candidate is hired and invited to a training session in their area.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall the questions. The main issue dealt with availability.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Princeton, NJ) in March 2013.

Interview

First, I received a phone call. The job description, including salary, were described to me. I was being invited to take a test, with the intention to be hired a month or so after the phone call. There were scheduled tests in a few locations. I chose a location (a library) and time. I brought my resume, a list of references, a pencil, and something to keep myself entertained, such as a book. A bunch of people took the test together. It was very easy. A sample test is available at census.gov. Next, each of us was interviewed one by one. I was asked to read a sample survey and annunciate clearly. I was also asked to answer questions using examples of my experience, including describing what happened, what the problem was, and how I solved it. Following directions may have been more important than the experiences described.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed, what was the problem, and how you overcame the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation with the US government. They are very up front about the salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Census Bureau (New York, NY).

Interview

Test site exam> 70% or higher is passing. But most people gets in with 90% or higher

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation government limit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau (San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

1. Take the Bureau's test.
    2. Wait, wait.
    3. Say, "Yes", when phoned and asked if you're available to work.

Interview Questions

• Bone up on your basic math skills. The San Francisco Public Library has excellent online programs to learn basic math skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. It's take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Huntsville, AL) in April 2010.

Interview

Initially, it begins with a phone call. Then, you're contacted. You go to a testing location. You have to take a basic test which checks your ability to read maps and addresses. You usually find out pretty quickly whether you passed or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

flat rate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau (White Plains, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

There is a simple skills test of your knowledge of maps, identifying addresses, and reading comprehension. You are given your score the same day and if you pass you usually get a call back within a month as the census day approaches. There are other things that are filled out at the time of the test for payroll and other things. You are also finger printed. If you fail the test you can take it again at a later time. There is no formal interviewing, if you get the position you will get a call back. Once you get the call back you have a 3 day paid training session.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiating, all earnings are predetermined based on the position and your location and everyone is paid the same based on your title.