US Census Bureau

1.5

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gastonia, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gastonia, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2010.

I went online to find out how to apply for the US Census jobs for 2010. I found a phone number to call and set up the skills test. Before I left the testing session, I was informed of my test score and told I would be contacted. I received a call a few days later and got the job. Training was fully paid, and the salary was set at $15.25/hour plus mileage for everyone. Prior experience was not requested. Training was thorough and exhaustive.

There was no negotiation of salary Pay was equal across the board for all enumerators (people going door-to-door to group residences such as nursing homes, etc, or to individual homes).

Other Interview Reviews for US Census Bureau

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source – interviewed at US Census Bureau in February 2010.

I took a qualifying test which was held at the library a short distance from my home. There were approximately 50 questions which were very easy. Everyone in my group (about 50 people) passed the test. They graded them immediately after the test was given and if you stayed you could find out your score then and there. After the test we were told that they would do a background check and would be calling back with offers in a month or two.

Interview Questions
    • A question designed to see whether you could read maps and follow directions (very logical under the circumstances but "different")   Answer Question
    I received a call over the phone with an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Panama City Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Panama City Beach, FL

I applied online – interviewed at US Census Bureau in February 2010.

The interview took place at our local high school and was conducted by a very professional woman who was encouraging and friendly. She asked me about my skills and availability and gave me a test to complete. She graded it right away and let me know I was eligible.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions, but a clear background check is essential as well as good transportation.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation with this position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau in February 2010.

There was an initial skills test. There was no feedback on the test, and no way to verify if it was recorded properly. A quick telephone interview about six weeks later was followed by a personal interview. I was eventually ofered a higher position than the one for which I had applied, due to my skills and experience.

Interview Questions
    There was very little room to negotiate, since most terms were set by regulation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, VA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Census Bureau in February 2010.

Exam taken locally. Phone interview conducted a month before classes. You are paid during class room training. A day or two is spent out in the field with your instructor when conducting your first census surveys.

Interview Questions
    • Don't be discouraged if you aren't able to finish or answer correctly all of the exam questions. Very important that you completed the sample exam before taking the actual test.   Answer Question
    Paid standard government rate as an enumerator. Doubt that a better compensation could be negotiated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau in January 2010.

The interview process consisted solely of a skills test. Only those who pass the test will be called back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Census Bureau in January 2010.

very brief

Interview Questions
    • what do you find interesting? What motivates me to be the best?   Answer Question
    never negotiate with the government

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau in September 2009.

The first step is the gateway to all Census jobs: Taking the test. Although a surprising (alarming) number of people don't pass, it is the easiest test you can ever imagine. Its most difficult concepts include reading a map, alphabetizing and understanding what a "block" classification is. Study materials are available before the test if needed!

Once you pass this test (you learn of your results the same day), you can re-take it if you are not happy with your score. The Census does not penalize you for taking it more than once.

At a later date, you will unexpectedly receive a phone call and request for a phone interview. Although some interviews are set up for a later date, most proceed directly after you pick up the call, with the "interviewer" reading ever-so-distinctively from a cue card. After reading a verbatim description of the job, she will ask you whether this job interests you. "Yes" is the response that gets to past this question and through most of the rest of them. Variations include "Yes, yes, I do." "Yes, Yes, I am."

The only part that might throw one off is the Spanish language portion. Depending on the job, when they want some Spanish-speaking ability (and for most jobs it really is not even necessary), they may ask you to tell them when you last spoke Spanish -- asked, and to be answered, in Spanish.

When you hear whether you got the job varies. It could be the next few days or week. If you're rejected, your file will be kept on record to be considered for the next job opening. It remains a mystery as to how you are selected for certain positions. The usual premise is your home's proximity to the job location and how high you scored on the test, but depending how they sort the application, these things can be skewed measures.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a reliable form of transportation?   View Answer
    • Would you be willing to work in areas located in under-served communities where you might normally feel uncomfortable under other circumstances?   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. Hourly workers earn whatever the local rate for the job, earning no benefits. The only "perk" is that you are reimbursed 55 cents per mile (in Los Angeles anyway) for your driving and car maintenance expenses. This is a pretty generous amount, since many other agencies only offer about 30 cents.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2009.

The ad gave a number to call to schedule to take the test. The test took about an hour and was not very hard. I scored very high. About a year later, I got a phone call asking if I was still interested in the position. I said yes, and was told where and when to attend the training sessions. Training took three days and was paid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2009.

Initial interview was a phone interview with a set of standard questions. Then you had to attend a 1 week long training session, at the end of the training, you were given a test and a field test, if you passed you were offered work, if not you never received any work.

Interview Questions
    • Can you climb a set of stairs assisted or unassisted without an elevator?   Answer Question
    • Are you available to work full time?   View Answer
    There was no negotiations...