US Census Bureau Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

1.9

Non-Response Followup Enumerator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Census Bureau.

You had to call the local office and register to take the test. Once you took the test, if you passed, they called you for a phone interview. If you were chosen, they call you with training info. The training was one week, paid, classroom setting at a local church's annex room. The supervisor was great, and chooses a "group leader" at the end of training, to act in their absence. Fellow workers were all very pleasant, and a lot of its forged friendships. Older, younger, unemployed as well as vets and students all worked.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable going door to door?   View Answer
    No negotiation, flat pay based on region.

Statistician Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

I applied in August. In December, I received a call for an interview. I interview in January. It was a panel interview with 4 managers. They read 10 questions prepared by HR. The questions were mostly behavioral questions ("Tell us about a time in which you had a difficult time with a co-worker'). No questions about technical skills. If you search for "behavioral interview questions", you'll get a good understanding of the questions they asked.

I was hired in March and started in April. So, the process took 8 months from submitting my application to my first day. Yep.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. Two of the questions were so similar that I thought they were asking me the same question; one question was so poorly worded that even the panel was confused.   Answer Question

Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Elongated hiring process. Resume and application are reviewed, then a screening interview is completed. The interval between application and notification of acceptance/rejection can be long. The testing phase of the interview process is easy, probably at about a 6th grade level for reading and comprehension. Multiple language candidates must demonstrate the ability to read/write the any additional language(s).

No negotiation.

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

My interview was very simple when I was hired. I was just asked if I wanted a full time job. I said yes. After a background check, I was hired

Senior Field Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

Respond to job posting, attend recruitment session where you will take a qualifying test and complete a "structured" Interview. Significant advantage given to veterans. If selected, you must pass a background check. The hiring process is very much numbers-driven. Jobs are now usually posted on USAJOBS.gov.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected, but since it is a "structured" interview one must respond directly to specific questions of the "Tell me about a time when you were able to change someone's mind" variety. It may be difficult to dredge up a relevant answer on the spot. I am normally an excellent interviewer, but I found this "just the facts, ma'am" approach difficult. I left feeling as if I had blown the interview, but I was later told that it was considered very strong.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation involved, since the government job scale is highly structured.

Quality Control Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Booneville, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Booneville, MS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview process was simple. It was a phone interview consisting of very simple questions. You have to go to a designated place then to take a test that is just common sense and very simple. You then have to go through training that you are paid for. The people were very friendly, courteous and informative.

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at US Census Bureau.

No real interview; everyone applying for any Census job took the same aptitude test. I got a very high score, plus received Veteran's Preference, but didn't hear anything for many months so I forgot about it. Suddenly I received a phone call asking if I was available for 5 days of training the following week. The only other requirement seemed to be the need for a degree, since all Recruiters I worked with had one.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all multiple-choice, designed to measure math, administrative and map-reading abilities. No real surprises if you're good at these kinds of questions.   Answer Question

Local Census Office Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

You take a test and the higher you score, the most likely you are to be selected. Veterans with proof of DD-214 are automatically above everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the test questions were very easy and required common sense   Answer Question

Office Operations Supervisor Interview

There was a test. After the test, if selected, you got a phone call. You have to undergo a background check and fingerprinting.

Office Clerk Interview

Had to take a test and received a call back was offered position.