US Census Bureau Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2015

1.9

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC).

Interview

Job market paper presentation followed by numerous individual meetings. Lots of smart, collegiate people. Very supportive, open work environment. Everyone seemed to be raving about their supervisor, which is always a good sign.

Pathways Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD).

Interview

Interviewed with the supervisor over the project. It took about 30min. I think behavioral questions are reserved for interviews with HR. There is no salary negotiations. They stick to the pay grade scale.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Explain XY on your resume. What is your availability? Are you familiar with this data set and/or method? Are you local?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. They stick to a scale.

Census Taker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wake Forest, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Wake Forest, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

Your called from someone in Atlanta then have to do a 1 hour test with black pencil. Then you have to do mock interview. It is an almost all day event for a 5 week job.

Interview Questions

• They gave you sample mock interview as if you were going to a house.   1 Answer

Crew Leader Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was first contacted to do a phone interview that was relatively easy. We discussed practical matters such as my work history, living location, and transportation. Once I completed that initial contact I was given the location of the first of several trainings for the position. The training in itself served as an interview for the Crew Leaders and Director to analyze the candidates for potential new hires.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was not much to negotiate, because the rates were pretty set.

Supervisor, GS-13 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD).

Interview

I applied online. Two months later I received a call to interview. They were flexible for date/time.

I thought the interview went well. It lasted nearly one hour and they loaded me with a lot of information about their operations. The manager said they would send me an e-mail with links so I could "get familiar" with what they do. That all sounded encouraging.

Two weeks went by and I didn't hear anything. I sent a short polite e-mail to the manager for an update. No reply.

The next day I sent an e-mail to the HR rep. Thirty minutes later, the manager gave me a call. They started that they had received my e-mail the day prior, but had not decided on a candidate at that point. They nicely told me that I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• If selected for the job, where do you see yourself in one month, six months, and one year after you come on board?   Answer Question

Non-Response Followup Enumerator Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

Watch for announcement or frequent the web page for exam dates. Take the test to get an interview which is usually over the phone. For the most part these jobs are easy if you have a personality that likes to interact with people of all kinds. I have worked 8 different operations with the census and all of they were enjoyable.

Negotiation

The hours and wages are pre determined so no negotiation involved.

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau (Miami, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

The process too actually get a test date was a few weeks long. Took the test and had an immediate interview. Was told that I should hear back from the Bureau in a few weeks or call we were told at the site that the position only offers 20-30 hours a month, yes month so this is really a part time job.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a problem going into some rough neighborhood's   1 Answer

Non-Response Followup Enumerator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

You had to call the local office and register to take the test. Once you took the test, if you passed, they called you for a phone interview. If you were chosen, they call you with training info. The training was one week, paid, classroom setting at a local church's annex room. The supervisor was great, and chooses a "group leader" at the end of training, to act in their absence. Fellow workers were all very pleasant, and a lot of its forged friendships. Older, younger, unemployed as well as vets and students all worked.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable going door to door?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, flat pay based on region.

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

I applied in August. In December, I received a call for an interview. I interview in January. It was a panel interview with 4 managers. They read 10 questions prepared by HR. The questions were mostly behavioral questions ("Tell us about a time in which you had a difficult time with a co-worker'). No questions about technical skills. If you search for "behavioral interview questions", you'll get a good understanding of the questions they asked.

I was hired in March and started in April. So, the process took 8 months from submitting my application to my first day. Yep.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. Two of the questions were so similar that I thought they were asking me the same question; one question was so poorly worded that even the panel was confused.   Answer Question

Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Census Bureau (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

Elongated hiring process. Resume and application are reviewed, then a screening interview is completed. The interval between application and notification of acceptance/rejection can be long. The testing phase of the interview process is easy, probably at about a 6th grade level for reading and comprehension. Multiple language candidates must demonstrate the ability to read/write the any additional language(s).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.