US Census Bureau Interview Questions & Reviews

1.9

Mathematical Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Suitland, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in September 2012.

I submitted my resume online through usajobs.gov. It took several months (I think 5) but the hiring manager eventually called me. We had a very informal and casual phone interview and she said that the secretary would call to set up an interview. We set the interview for 2 weeks away and they paid to fly me from Savannah, GA to DC for that interview. The interview was actually a series of interviews and lasted from about 7:30 am until 4:00 pm with a lunch hour in there. Everyone was very nice and spent the majority of our interview time talking about life at the bureau. Most questions were about classes I had taken and programming experience. I got a phone call with my offer about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I got asked some specific questions about SAS and I kind of froze.   View Answer
    There really isn't much of a negotiation for Government Salaries unless you already have experience.

Assistant Manager of Administration Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in July 2010.

Interview was brief, very structured and manipulated by Senior Management to select me over other candidates with Veteran's preference. Interview questions were very basic, review of past employment and accomplishments, why I would be a good fit for the position etc.,

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one, Manager interviewing me was very specific in what and who he wanted to hire, questions were very much aligned with my background and experience.....in the end, found out the Manager had manipulated the entire Federal Selection System in order to hire me....   Answer Question
    None, based on flat pay scale for position.

Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Elongated hiring process. Resume and application are reviewed, then a screening interview is completed. The interval between application and notification of acceptance/rejection can be long. The testing phase of the interview process is easy, probably at about a 6th grade level for reading and comprehension. Multiple language candidates must demonstrate the ability to read/write the any additional language(s).

No negotiation.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Suitland, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in January 2010.

Applied online (usajobs.gov). Filled out a pretty generic questionnaire and submitted a resume Within about two weeks, received a call to drive out for an interview. Interview lasted about 1 hour and was with my future direct supervisor and her supervisor, the department chief. Questions were very typical of an interview, mostly just wanted me to explain my resume and go over computer skills. Received a phone call within a week with a job offer. Overall the process was very quick for a government position. I had applied to other positions before and didn't get called for an interview until 4-5 months later.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty generic, no surprises. There were a few questions about maintaining information security that you might not see in every interview. "What is your experience in keeping confidential information or following a security process?" Something like that.   View Answer
    Offer was fixed, no negotiation. Pay was marked hourly but it was still a 40hr/week job. It was the best offer I had at the time so I took it.

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in July 2012.

Talk to an HR representative who explains the position and asks about availability. Not many job-related questions. Then sets appointment date for a test that measures basic math, language comprehension, and map-reading. There were about 15 candidates at the test. After passing the test (same day), someone interviews you to see how well you can speak and follow directions. They also ask some personality-type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Very organized group, make sure to have your paperwork in order prior to the test-taking appointment.   Answer Question
    No negotiation since it's a government job.

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

My interview was very simple when I was hired. I was just asked if I wanted a full time job. I said yes. After a background check, I was hired

Senior Field Representative Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Respond to job posting, attend recruitment session where you will take a qualifying test and complete a "structured" Interview. Significant advantage given to veterans. If selected, you must pass a background check. The hiring process is very much numbers-driven. Jobs are now usually posted on USAJOBS.gov.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected, but since it is a "structured" interview one must respond directly to specific questions of the "Tell me about a time when you were able to change someone's mind" variety. It may be difficult to dredge up a relevant answer on the spot. I am normally an excellent interviewer, but I found this "just the facts, ma'am" approach difficult. I left feeling as if I had blown the interview, but I was later told that it was considered very strong.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation involved, since the government job scale is highly structured.

Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Initially, it begins with a phone call. Then, you're contacted. You go to a testing location. You have to take a basic test which checks your ability to read maps and addresses. You usually find out pretty quickly whether you passed or not.

flat rate

Recruiter Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

No real interview; everyone applying for any Census job took the same aptitude test. I got a very high score, plus received Veteran's Preference, but didn't hear anything for many months so I forgot about it. Suddenly I received a phone call asking if I was available for 5 days of training the following week. The only other requirement seemed to be the need for a degree, since all Recruiters I worked with had one.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all multiple-choice, designed to measure math, administrative and map-reading abilities. No real surprises if you're good at these kinds of questions.   Answer Question

Quality Control Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Booneville, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Booneville, MS

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview process was simple. It was a phone interview consisting of very simple questions. You have to go to a designated place then to take a test that is just common sense and very simple. You then have to go through training that you are paid for. The people were very friendly, courteous and informative.

Interview Questions

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!