US Census Bureau Interview Questions

1.9

Census Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hannibal, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannibal, MO

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Very informal. Just had a quick discussion with the field supervisor. The fact that I was a veteran helped a lot during the hiring and interview phase. It gave you a 'leg up' over those who weren't veterans. So next time census rolls around, it would be a good way for vets to get some extra income especially if they were between jobs like I was.

Interview Questions
    • I only wish that there had been more preparation and more information before you could go out into the field.   Answer Question

Census Worker Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Great testing process. Interviews were professional and appropriate. They hire smart people. Veterans get ten points added to their exam score. This led to a very services oriented work place with a high degree of honor.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable working around veterans   View Answer

Crew Leader Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2010.

The base line interview was a test administered and then you were contacted with some basic questions and asking if you would attend a week long class. There you go over the process which was taught by a crew leader and during this period he / she would choose their Crew Leader Assistants.

Office Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Valparaiso, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valparaiso, IN

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Telephone call, testing and group interviews, including forms and other matters, like a classroom situation, where each person finished on his or her own time. There did not seem to be much to it. It probably could have been conducted online or completely by telephone. There was not much to indicate what skills were really being sought.

None, it was take it or leave it

Statistician Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

I applied in August. In December, I received a call for an interview. I interview in January. It was a panel interview with 4 managers. They read 10 questions prepared by HR. The questions were mostly behavioral questions ("Tell us about a time in which you had a difficult time with a co-worker'). No questions about technical skills. If you search for "behavioral interview questions", you'll get a good understanding of the questions they asked.

I was hired in March and started in April. So, the process took 8 months from submitting my application to my first day. Yep.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. Two of the questions were so similar that I thought they were asking me the same question; one question was so poorly worded that even the panel was confused.   Answer Question

Mathematical Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Suitland, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in September 2012.

I submitted my resume online through usajobs.gov. It took several months (I think 5) but the hiring manager eventually called me. We had a very informal and casual phone interview and she said that the secretary would call to set up an interview. We set the interview for 2 weeks away and they paid to fly me from Savannah, GA to DC for that interview. The interview was actually a series of interviews and lasted from about 7:30 am until 4:00 pm with a lunch hour in there. Everyone was very nice and spent the majority of our interview time talking about life at the bureau. Most questions were about classes I had taken and programming experience. I got a phone call with my offer about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I got asked some specific questions about SAS and I kind of froze.   View Answer
    There really isn't much of a negotiation for Government Salaries unless you already have experience.

Assistant Manager of Administration Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in July 2010.

Interview was brief, very structured and manipulated by Senior Management to select me over other candidates with Veteran's preference. Interview questions were very basic, review of past employment and accomplishments, why I would be a good fit for the position etc.,

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one, Manager interviewing me was very specific in what and who he wanted to hire, questions were very much aligned with my background and experience.....in the end, found out the Manager had manipulated the entire Federal Selection System in order to hire me....   Answer Question
    None, based on flat pay scale for position.

Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Elongated hiring process. Resume and application are reviewed, then a screening interview is completed. The interval between application and notification of acceptance/rejection can be long. The testing phase of the interview process is easy, probably at about a 6th grade level for reading and comprehension. Multiple language candidates must demonstrate the ability to read/write the any additional language(s).

No negotiation.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Suitland, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in January 2010.

Applied online (usajobs.gov). Filled out a pretty generic questionnaire and submitted a resume Within about two weeks, received a call to drive out for an interview. Interview lasted about 1 hour and was with my future direct supervisor and her supervisor, the department chief. Questions were very typical of an interview, mostly just wanted me to explain my resume and go over computer skills. Received a phone call within a week with a job offer. Overall the process was very quick for a government position. I had applied to other positions before and didn't get called for an interview until 4-5 months later.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty generic, no surprises. There were a few questions about maintaining information security that you might not see in every interview. "What is your experience in keeping confidential information or following a security process?" Something like that.   View Answer
    Offer was fixed, no negotiation. Pay was marked hourly but it was still a 40hr/week job. It was the best offer I had at the time so I took it.

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in July 2012.

Talk to an HR representative who explains the position and asks about availability. Not many job-related questions. Then sets appointment date for a test that measures basic math, language comprehension, and map-reading. There were about 15 candidates at the test. After passing the test (same day), someone interviews you to see how well you can speak and follow directions. They also ask some personality-type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Very organized group, make sure to have your paperwork in order prior to the test-taking appointment.   Answer Question
    No negotiation since it's a government job.

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!