US Census Bureau

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

1.9

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at US Census Bureau.

No real interview; everyone applying for any Census job took the same aptitude test. I got a very high score, plus received Veteran's Preference, but didn't hear anything for many months so I forgot about it. Suddenly I received a phone call asking if I was available for 5 days of training the following week. The only other requirement seemed to be the need for a degree, since all Recruiters I worked with had one.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all multiple-choice, designed to measure math, administrative and map-reading abilities. No real surprises if you're good at these kinds of questions.   Answer Question

Local Census Office Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

You take a test and the higher you score, the most likely you are to be selected. Veterans with proof of DD-214 are automatically above everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the test questions were very easy and required common sense   Answer Question

Office Operations Supervisor Interview

There was a test. After the test, if selected, you got a phone call. You have to undergo a background check and fingerprinting.

Office Clerk Interview

Had to take a test and received a call back was offered position.

Field Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

First you take a test to see if you can read, write and have any sense of direction. Once passing the test it could be between getting an interview on the spot up to two years before you are call. Questions are easy and the process you go through to get hired or trained doesn't really prepare you for what actually happens in the field talking to real people.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle coming in to a high crime area?   View Answer
    There are no negotiation with this government position. You take it or leave it. You are a part-time intermittent employee and they make sure you have just few enough hours to never get covered with health benefits or any other federal benefit.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

Apply to be an economist for the Census using the generic job-market process for new PhDs (JOE, EJM, etc). After your fly out, you will be asked to apply through USA Jobs. To negotiate a higher salary, it helps to have proof of another standing offer.

I got the sense that the interviewers were looking for individuals who not only fit their needs, but would fit well into the climate of office. In my first interview they asked questions about my technical skills, research interests, and how well I can think of new research ideas when put on the spot. My fly out was all about whether I would get along with everyone. It was my most pleasant fly out - no one tried to put down my research during my seminar and everyone was friendly.

Interview Questions
    • If you had X, Y, and Z data sources, what types of research questions would you be interested in answering?   Answer Question
    New PhDs typically enter at grade 12, but the step can be negotiated.

Administrative Clerk Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at US Census Bureau.

They ask a set of questions over the phone, and if you are available for the hours, they will hire you. 100% of the time. Easiest interview of your life.

Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

I did not have a traditional job interview. I received a phone call informing me when my job would start and about the training. During this call, I was asked if I was still available to work and willing to work the days and hours available.

Field Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Census Bureau.

First you take one exam to become a regular census worker. If you score very well, you are invited to take a supervisor exam. You then come in for an interview and are asked some basic questions about your resume. Nothing technical or difficult.

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springdale, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springdale, AR

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Census Bureau in October 2013.

1.simple word problem test (only question i missed would have got, if I had a ruler
    2. Mock interview (read from a script...articulate, real clearly and don't change words
    3. Interview General...mostly about overcoming difficult people

Interview Questions
    • Describe something you failed at.....could not overcome or find a solution...how did you deal with it.   Answer Question