US Census Bureau Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

1.9

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

My interview was very simple when I was hired. I was just asked if I wanted a full time job. I said yes. After a background check, I was hired

Geographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on USAjobs website. I tailored resume to reflect my experience that supported the application questions (don't use a stock resume if you want to get past the HR techs). A single panel interview was conducted with two peers positions and a supervisor present. It helps to have a foot in the door, I was already a federal employee at Census. Prior to this job I had been a contractor working at Census. Census seems to staff up periodically. For example in 2009 they staffed up prior to the 2010 decennial. They started staffing up last year after the hiring freeze lifted from sequestration.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever failed on a project/task?   1 Answer
    • Describe the steps to perform a join (in ArcGIS).   1 Answer

Senior Field Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

Respond to job posting, attend recruitment session where you will take a qualifying test and complete a "structured" Interview. Significant advantage given to veterans. If selected, you must pass a background check. The hiring process is very much numbers-driven. Jobs are now usually posted on USAJOBS.gov.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected, but since it is a "structured" interview one must respond directly to specific questions of the "Tell me about a time when you were able to change someone's mind" variety. It may be difficult to dredge up a relevant answer on the spot. I am normally an excellent interviewer, but I found this "just the facts, ma'am" approach difficult. I left feeling as if I had blown the interview, but I was later told that it was considered very strong.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved, since the government job scale is highly structured.

Quality Control Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Booneville, MS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Booneville, MS).

Interview

Interview process was simple. It was a phone interview consisting of very simple questions. You have to go to a designated place then to take a test that is just common sense and very simple. You then have to go through training that you are paid for. The people were very friendly, courteous and informative.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

No real interview; everyone applying for any Census job took the same aptitude test. I got a very high score, plus received Veteran's Preference, but didn't hear anything for many months so I forgot about it. Suddenly I received a phone call asking if I was available for 5 days of training the following week. The only other requirement seemed to be the need for a degree, since all Recruiters I worked with had one.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all multiple-choice, designed to measure math, administrative and map-reading abilities. No real surprises if you're good at these kinds of questions.   Answer Question

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (San Rafael, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I had two phone calls with a regional official. She sales me about my schedule. There are many serveys, and you are interviewed for one at a time.My survey Was the CPS or Current Population Survey. It is for 10 days a Month.

Local Census Office Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Harrisburg, PA).

Interview

You take a test and the higher you score, the most likely you are to be selected. Veterans with proof of DD-214 are automatically above everyone.

Interview Questions

• Most of the test questions were very easy and required common sense   Answer Question

Office Operations Supervisor Interview

Interview

There was a test. After the test, if selected, you got a phone call. You have to undergo a background check and fingerprinting.

Office Clerk Interview

Interview

Had to take a test and received a call back was offered position.

Field Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

First you take a test to see if you can read, write and have any sense of direction. Once passing the test it could be between getting an interview on the spot up to two years before you are call. Questions are easy and the process you go through to get hired or trained doesn't really prepare you for what actually happens in the field talking to real people.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle coming in to a high crime area?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There are no negotiation with this government position. You take it or leave it. You are a part-time intermittent employee and they make sure you have just few enough hours to never get covered with health benefits or any other federal benefit.