US Census Bureau Interview Questions

1.9

Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2013.

First, I received a phone call. The job description, including salary, were described to me. I was being invited to take a test, with the intention to be hired a month or so after the phone call. There were scheduled tests in a few locations. I chose a location (a library) and time. I brought my resume, a list of references, a pencil, and something to keep myself entertained, such as a book. A bunch of people took the test together. It was very easy. A sample test is available at census.gov. Next, each of us was interviewed one by one. I was asked to read a sample survey and annunciate clearly. I was also asked to answer questions using examples of my experience, including describing what happened, what the problem was, and how I solved it. Following directions may have been more important than the experiences described.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed, what was the problem, and how you overcame the problem.   Answer Question
    No negotiation with the US government. They are very up front about the salary.

Field Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

First you take a test to see if you can read, write and have any sense of direction. Once passing the test it could be between getting an interview on the spot up to two years before you are call. Questions are easy and the process you go through to get hired or trained doesn't really prepare you for what actually happens in the field talking to real people.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle coming in to a high crime area?   View Answer
    There are no negotiation with this government position. You take it or leave it. You are a part-time intermittent employee and they make sure you have just few enough hours to never get covered with health benefits or any other federal benefit.

Crew Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in February 2010.

The interview process included: 1. Online Application 2. Skills/Aptitude test 3. General Census Training (also a "group interview" for management positions).

1. Online Application is straightforward and easy
    2. Skills/Aptitude Test is relatively easy if you have a college degree
    3. Training is also very straightforward with opportunity to express your desire for a management position.

If you are a self-starter, this is a great job for you. You will be surrounded by a lot of "government worker mentality".

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the process is navigating the training and identifying the level of leadership you want to pursue.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Hourly rates are set.

Survey Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Suitland, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in June 2010.

I was recruited by a campus recruiter, then interviewed over the phone by a senior manager. I came to Suitland and interviewed with another senior manager who offered me the job.

Census Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in May 2010.

Completed US Census exam, and later selected for an interview at the U.S. Census office in El Segundo, CA.

There was no negotiation with the U.S. Census.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Apply to be an economist for the Census using the generic job-market process for new PhDs (JOE, EJM, etc). After your fly out, you will be asked to apply through USA Jobs. To negotiate a higher salary, it helps to have proof of another standing offer.

I got the sense that the interviewers were looking for individuals who not only fit their needs, but would fit well into the climate of office. In my first interview they asked questions about my technical skills, research interests, and how well I can think of new research ideas when put on the spot. My fly out was all about whether I would get along with everyone. It was my most pleasant fly out - no one tried to put down my research during my seminar and everyone was friendly.

Interview Questions
    • If you had X, Y, and Z data sources, what types of research questions would you be interested in answering?   Answer Question
    New PhDs typically enter at grade 12, but the step can be negotiated.

Administrative Clerk Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at US Census Bureau.

They ask a set of questions over the phone, and if you are available for the hours, they will hire you. 100% of the time. Easiest interview of your life.

Crew Leader Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2010.

Initially there is an asesment test to take where they determine which position you fit based on test score. You can take the test whenever I believe, you just need to figure out when and where to take the test. Then they call you and tell you salary and ask if you want to do it. Then if you say yes they schedule you for training. It takes a few days because you have to go through enumeration training as well. So worth the pay.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember because I took the test once and it was 3 years ago. I think there may be practice tests online.   View Answer
    They offered me $18.50/hr. I did not negotiate, I had never made that much before. And I still have not made close to that since.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Census Bureau in September 2009.

You have to take a test to get in and the interview is straight forward

There wasn't any

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springdale, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springdale, AR

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in October 2013.

1.simple word problem test (only question i missed would have got, if I had a ruler
    2. Mock interview (read from a script...articulate, real clearly and don't change words
    3. Interview General...mostly about overcoming difficult people

Interview Questions
    • Describe something you failed at.....could not overcome or find a solution...how did you deal with it.   Answer Question