US Census Bureau

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Suitland, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online (usajobs.gov). Filled out a pretty generic questionnaire and submitted a resume Within about two weeks, received a call to drive out for an interview. Interview lasted about 1 hour and was with my future direct supervisor and her supervisor, the department chief. Questions were very typical of an interview, mostly just wanted me to explain my resume and go over computer skills. Received a phone call within a week with a job offer. Overall the process was very quick for a government position. I had applied to other positions before and didn't get called for an interview until 4-5 months later.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty generic, no surprises. There were a few questions about maintaining information security that you might not see in every interview. "What is your experience in keeping confidential information or following a security process?" Something like that.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer was fixed, no negotiation. Pay was marked hourly but it was still a 40hr/week job. It was the best offer I had at the time so I took it.

Survey Statistician Interview

Survey Statistician
Suitland, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited by a campus recruiter, then interviewed over the phone by a senior manager. I came to Suitland and interviewed with another senior manager who offered me the job.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Suitland, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2009.

Interview Details – Applied, was accepted instantly, got a single phone call and answered a couple of simple questions on HTML. Overall it couldn't have been more than 30 minutes long and let to an immediate offer which I then proceeded to accept, since this was the only place I applied to that summer.

Interview Question – Can't recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase, standard GS-2.

Survey Statistician Interview

Survey Statistician
Suitland, MD

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online to pool in June. Called to schedule in person interview in August the following week. 5 person panel interview. All behavior questions. Apx. 1hr . Email response 2nd week of September.

Suitland, MD

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2012.

Interview Details – As with any government position, it took an amazingly long amount of time between applying for the position and getting called in for an interview. They put me up in a hotel and paid for everything.

On the day of the interview, my contact brought me upstairs and dropped me off with a higher-up for a quick interview. Then I interviewed with my contact and a supervisee. I did this process three more times in three branches (a total of five or six interviews for the day). I had started at 8:00AM and was out by 2:00PM.

All of the interviewers asked very similar questions: coursework, ability to work in groups, statistical computing experience, major projects, and the like.

Somewhere between four and five months later (remember: government) I heard back with a job offer. They paid for the entirety of my move and travel expenses. Other than the amount of time it took to make it through the entire process, it was fairly painless, and the people here are great. They are knowledgeable, helpful, and fun.

Interview Question – What got you interested in statistics?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Suitland, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Census Bureau in July 2011.

Interview Details – This interview was for a GS-1529 (Mathematical Statistician) position at Grade 9, Step 1. I submitted a formatted federal resume on USAJobs.gov in response to a listing, and was contacted by e-mail a few weeks later.

My interview day consisted of three one on one interviews with branch chiefs (managers of approximately 5 to 15 people) among three different divisions of the Bureau, though I later learned that anywhere between three and six interviews is considered normal. Any of your interviewing managers may offer you a position with their branch, but you are most likely to receive an offer from the manager who initiated your interview process (normally the one who first contacts you to setup the interview). All of my interviews were casual, with no questions to evaluate my qualifications and only very friendly questions about my interests and plans. My advice for the interview would be to relax and demonstrate that you are easy to get along and work with.

Regarding the office & culture, my impression is that they parallel closely the interview process. There are a great many people, but the atmosphere is casual (jeans and polos were common at one end of the spectrum, though suit & tie was also a well represented set).

I received an offer from my initiating manager after about two weeks (quite fast for the federal government, really).

Interview Question – Where do you plan to be in five years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer included a 20% signing bonus with a one year contract. I attempted to negotiate a higher starting step (i.e. pay level) with the HR rep who delivered the offer, but didn't make any headway against the "This is the official pay rate for someone with your qualifications" response. I've since learned that up to a 25% signing bonus can be offered, so I'd encourage you to try that if your base salary negotiation goes the way mine did.

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist
Suitland, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at US Census Bureau in July 2008.

Interview Details – Pretty simple, started with a simple phone interview where the manager described the work Census does and what my specific role would be. Didn't take long, maybe 45 mins. He was friendly and we seemed to hit it off.

Negotiation Details – Govt pretty much sets your pay based on education and work experience, you don't have much room for negotiation.

Suitland, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at US Census Bureau in July 2010.

Interview Details – It was very smooth as they found my resume in the database. I had applied to another position in the same company. The recruitment could have been as little as three weeks, but I was working elsewhere. I received the offer within 40 days. I had one week to respond.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate as it is a government position. My employers suggested that I try it with human resource by showing my current salary. So you may want to try it as well.

Cartographer Interview

Cartographer
Suitland, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2009.

Interview Details – I obtained an interview by signing up using my university's on campus interview service. First interview was behavioral questions and filling out forms to obtain certification that I met the job qualifications. There were five questions and the interview lasted an hour. A great deal of the interview was explaining the benefits of working for the federal government and general info about what the Census Bureau does. No positions were open for my expertise so interviewer directed me to check out their website for future openings.

Interview Questions

• What are three qualities of leadership?   View Answer
  • Describe a time you failed and how you dealt with it   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US Census Bureau? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Census Bureau interview questions and advice in Suitland, MD. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Census Bureau employees and interview candidates.