US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Biometric Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at US Citizenship and Immigration Services in September 2014.

The supervisor was friendly and easy to talk to. Overall, it was nice. In the end of the interview, you get to tour the are. The only thing I could see to be a problem for the place is the security screening before entering the building. I went on in the afternoon, so the place wasn't overflowing with people. But if you do go, I would suggest to go an hour before the interview so you don't get stuck waiting in the security line.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions, its all straight to the point. They ask you how your skills can be a contribution to the company. The only thing that could stop you from getting the job is attaining a security clearance. That part of the job application can take months.   Answer Question

Immigration Services Officer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

There are several layers to the application, interview and hiring process. The ability to pass to the next level is highly arbitrary and rejection is never properly explained. You have to generate a foia request to get any straight answers.
    Eventually you may be accepted, but with no logical reason for it.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are absurd and arbitrary and depend on the "system" they are using at the time. Nothing unexpected or particularly challenging, though.   View Answer
    If you have ANY self respect, stay away.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

I submitted my resume and cover letter to USAJobs and was contacted two months later with an offer. There was no in-person or telephone interview. I met my manager/selecting official the first day on the job. I'm told this was a special case, as it was not for a full-time position, but sometimes people will be selected based on their resume alone.

Interview Questions
    • When I got on the job, I was asked about my experience.   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate as this was an internship and I was offered a salary based on my education.

Clerk (OA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at US Citizenship and Immigration Services in February 2013.

After an extensive background process, the interview was set with the direct supervisor for the position along with the office supervisor. The interview was fairly straightforward with an explanation of the key roles and responsibilities. I was asked how my previous experience was relevant to the current position, why I was seeking work with USCIS, and how that aligned with my future aspirations. The interview and hiring process had all of the expected overtones of the bureaucratic process.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I faced during the interview was whether I thought I was over-qualified for the position.   Answer Question

The office in Arlington did not seem like a particularly positive work environment.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Citizenship and Immigration Services in January 2010.

A complete lie. I was told what I'd be doing, and it was an excellent fit for my background. A year later, I was still not doing what I was hired to do - and then was bounced around from position to position, each one farther from my experience.

None.

Immigration Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Citizenship and Immigration Services in August 2008.

I applied online through the Federal Career Intern Program (FCIP). The interview consisted of two interviews; the first was with a panel, the second with my immediate supervisor. They asked me questions about my experience traveling and working with refugees. They were looking for people with extensive international experience and the ability to interview different refugee populations. Graduate degree is more or less required.

Salary non-negotiable, GS-scale.