US Coast Guard

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.7

Seaman Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at US Coast Guard.

I met with a recruiter once with an appointment and it was pretty simple. He asked me some basic questions about what I wanted to do in the CG and how to get the enlistment process started. I wasn't like interviews for other jobs.

Hardly any negotiation. He did offer me a guaranteed district, but I am not sure if they are doing that anymore. They were not doing any bonuses of any kind when I signed up.

Reserve ET Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Coast Guard in May 2010.

I went through 3 recruiters over the course of 8 months to get in. This isn't the Army, and the recruiters really don't care if you join or not. I was in the recruiting office getting ready to swear in and a kid walked in. The recruiters all moaned and rolled their eyes at him. My recruiter looked at me and said "we really discourage walk ins".

Keep at it, call them all the time. You'll be on a plane to Cape May in no time.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a bonus and they didn't give it to me (reserves don't get bonuses).

Master Chief Petty Officer Interview

No interview process, rank is achieved through recommendations of your command, technical tests, service wide exams, evaluations, and time in service. Depending on your specialty will determine the number of Master Chief positions that are available, in my specialty there are only eight Master Chiefs in the entire Coast Guard.

No negotiations.

LTJG Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Coast Guard.

Research all information on OPM and USCG.mil. Getting in is not easy, but getting kicked out is near impossible. Once you've made it through the process you will likely accept your job. The CG spends a ton of time vetting you and they leave nearly no stone unturned. Make sure you meet the minimum requirements before you start or you will be wasting your time.

Interview Questions
    • No interview. Probably filling out the clearance forms.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. If you've made it that far in the process, you know its for you. Get ready for some boot camp!

Petty Officer Interview

Recruiters tell you things that aren't true. Do your homework before signing the paper. Make sure it's what you want to do because it's a big commitment. One of the toughest but best decisions I ever made. Tough of great benefits and experience.

Interview Questions
    • committing 4-6 years of your life without knowing where you will go after basic training.   Answer Question

Enlisted USCG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Coast Guard.

There's no initial communication unless you meet a recruiter at a school job fair. I had to hunt and find a recruiter myself before the internet existed. Once you complete all of the paperwork, then the recruiter can guide you through the process. It helps to be fully qualified without needing any waivers for physical issues or pay behavior difficulties such as bad debt or criminal behavior.

Interview Questions
    • Dozens of pages with questions necessary to obtain a security clearance. Be prepared to research all of your previous addresses, family, phone numbers, employers, etc.   Answer Question

Boatswains Mate Interview

posses the ASVAB scores necessary to become a Boatswains Mate. after a minimum of four months you can place your name on the A School list. After your name is on the list you wait at your unit till you get orders to school. Upon graduation you will be cycled into general population again to perform the duties as a Boatswain Mate 3rd class.

none

Base Commander Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at US Coast Guard.

Natural career progression for active duty senior officer; internal selection board. Initial selection for officer accession points normally do have interviews through the Officer Candidate School or the USCG Academy in New London CT. This was a natural career progression and advancement.

Bmc Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Coast Guard in January 2010.

They will give you a Physical exam, a written multiple choice asvab testing. you will also take a drug test, which tests for a fraction of what a civilian employer tests for. So make sure your clean for at least 2 months.The NYPD is bigger than the Coast Guard so they can be very selective. If you think you can risk a positive test and just go back when your clean forget about it. Once your out you are out. You will then meet with a recriter who will schedule you to go to Cape May, NJ for 8 weeks of boot camp. Once you graduae boot camp you will become an active or reserve member of the Coast Guard, Also the Coast Guard Academy in New London CT accepts cadets strictly on their own merits, This is unlike the Air force Academy, West Point of the Naval Academy which all require a Congressional appointment.

Interview Questions
    • Boot Camp was only a mental team building game. It does not matter if you can do 30 or 100 push ups. It will never be enough until you learn how to work as a team. That is what it's all about.   Answer Question
    easyonce you jumped through all the hoops.

Enlisted USCG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Coast Guard.

Pretty straightforward although recruiters didn't disclose much of the "crappy work" a junior enlisted would be doing until after contract was signed (LOL). You need to pass a test called the ASVAB and your score would determine your eligibility to various "ratings."

"Sign here. "