US Customs and Border Protection Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2015

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Customs and Border Protection

Border Patrol Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Customs and Border Protection.

Interview

I was scheduled for an interview after completing the written tests and submitting employment documentation. The interview process consisted of briefly introducing myself to the panel, explaining why I wanted to be a BPA, followed by three scenario based questions. The panel presented hypothetical scenarios that could be encountered as a BPA, and asked me how I would handle specific aspects of the scenario given the conditions with which to work with. The panel presents you with a difficult dilemma in each situation and evaluates your decision making process, maturity, interpersonal skills, and judgement. Every answer I gave was challenged, and I fell into the deadly trap of waivering from my answers due to the misguided belief that I gave the wrong answer. Be sure to take some time in formulating an answer, and be prepared to justify it, regardless of how good it sounds in your head.

Interview Questions

• I cannot divulge any quesionts due to signing a confidentiality agreement.   Answer Question

Border Patrol Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Customs and Border Protection (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Interview based panel interview. You sign disclosure stating you won't divuldge what's on interview. Applicants should dress in suit and tie. Do not tell board what you think they wanna hear. Good luck

Microwave Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Great Falls, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at US Customs and Border Protection (Great Falls, MT) in March 2010.

Interview

I had a phone interview, then they interviewed my references. They agreed to hire me, then the folder went to the next manager and he let it sit on his desk until the time ran out. They asked me to apply to another announcement, but the next announcement had equipment specific questions on the skills assessment and I only scored an 80 vice a 100 on the previous announcement, so my name was not forwarded to the hiring manager and he could not hire me.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with Type A personalities in a stressful situation.   1 Answer
    • Are you afraid of heights?   1 Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Customs and Border Protection (Detroit, MI) in August 2009.

Interview

Interview was part of a Hiring Fair. Interviewers seemed ill prepared and somewhat arrogant. Questions asked were both behavioral and technical with (2) interviewers in a cubical. I got the feeling the hiring fair was more of a publicity stunt versus any actually hiring getting done given the state of the economy in the area at the time of the interview, at least for this position. Was told I would receive a followup via email within 2 weeks. Never received anything.

Interview Questions

• What is your level of technical training?   1 Answer
    • You are not going to be working with an end product but with peoples lives? Do you understand that completely?   1 Answer

Helpdesk Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Customs and Border Protection (Washington, DC) in March 2009.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter, who arranged an in-person interview at a public location near the initial work location. Being an interview for a secret position, there was much of the usual ' i can't tell you that, but i can say X about it'. The particular group i worked with were interviewing primarily for personality fit with most of the skills due to the 12h shifts. After the interview, i got call from recruiter, an the employment process was on its way.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to enforce US drug laws regardless your feelings about them?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not immediately respond to the initial offer. They came back $5 higher. I did not immediately accept, and they came back another $15 higher. It was a much easier negotiation process than anticipated.

Border Patrol Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Customs and Border Protection (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2009.

Interview

long typical law enforcement type hiring process with written test, physical evals, and drug screens.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiating

Customs Inspector Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Customs and Border Protection.

Interview

I was hired as an inspector with the old Customs Service. Neither exist anymore so I don't think I have any relevant experience for you

Interview Questions

• Situational response: given a situation, how would one react. Well, it was situations in a job that I had never performed and had only the vaguest idea of   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was so humbly grateful for the job I would have taken it as a GS-3. The GS-5 was more than satisfactory.... GS-5 was criminal to pay for someone working in Los Angeles. Once I got there I saw so many other people who started as a 7 with no more qualifications (and a great deal less) except the audacity or the connections to demand it. GS-9 pay would not cover a frugal lifestyle. Now things are comfortable but the start was hell.

Legal Interview

Interview

4 person panel

Mission Support Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Customs and Border Protection in June 2008.

Interview

Applied online through USAJobs.com and received a phone call a few days after the closing date. Interviewed a few days after that with 2 border patrol supervisors. They were both very professional and very nice and asked questions that were directly related to the job. I suggest you are very familiar with the job description so that you know what they will ask you.

Interview Questions

• I don't think any of the questions were hard, but I suppose it would be...what are you going to bring to this agency?   1 Answer