US Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Financial Technician Interview

interviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in August 2014.

Three people panel. Five questions read from a paper I was given as I walked in. Finding the interview was the hardest part. Instruction were given to one building but the interview was in another building.

Financial Clerk Interview

Interview process was very basic. As a US Air Force Veteran, I was pre-selected for the position prior to the interview.

Financial Management Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service.

Got hired as a technician-no interview. Got promoted to LIM program years later-1 interview with 3 person panel. Pretty standard questions.

Financial Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in January 2013.

Hiring was lengthy - the time from resume submission to interview request was about six weeks. Interviews are business professional and by a panel that does not include the hiring official. Be prepared to answer the usual questions about leadership situations.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult or unexpected questions - mostly the usual, "Tell us about a difficult situation at work and how you resolved it," repetoire.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. The job was posted as a GS 07/09/11 career ladder. You start as a GS07 at $38,500 and are automatically promoted annually until you reach the GS11.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in December 2010.

Asked me a bunch of philosophical questions instead of questions that could determine if I can do accounting work well. Example: "Tell me a person that you admire and why?" What in the word?!? The idiot that interviewed me then made it clearly apparent that she was unimpressed with my bogus answer.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in April 2009.

I had an in person interview. Then I had to wait months and months for the job opening to be approved. After that I had to fill out all the paper work for the security check. That took about 3 months to be completed.

Interview Questions
    • What has been an experience that was a difficult problem for you to solve during your career?   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation. I was offered a position by way of the Leaders In Motion program. That was the only hiring authority available at the time.

Accounting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Limestone, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Limestone, ME

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in September 2008.

I applied on line and received a letter of consideration. I thne had to submit paperwork allowing DOD to process my criminal background and then was sent to the office for an informal interview. I then received a "Tentative" offer and went in for orientation for 3 days. After my background check was complete for security, I was hired permanent.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiating nor any interview process. They were doing a huge hire and they basically wanted simply high school graduates.

Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in May 2011.

Complete long application, receive call, complete long forms for security check. Submit to security check which involves agents interviewing your neighbors, friends, parents, ex spouses and others. Then fill out forms to submit to credit check. After this you may be interviewed by a panel of people.

Interview Questions
    • This is not really relevant the questions were random from the panel   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in June 2009.

The interview was very thorough and direct. DFAS is an organization focusing on hiring in new professional talent with a customer service focus. The required qualifications are very similar to what public accounting firms seek: four year business degree, high gpa, certifications are a plus. The process was very competitive with peers, and the offer was very competitive as compared to other firms / companies.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were presented with a difficult work situation, and how you handled it.   Answer Question