US Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service (Cleveland, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

Very scripted. My impression was the people on the panel weren't the hiring managers. I think someone gave the panel a list of questions, told them to ask the questions, record the responses, and submit them for scoring. I could clearly see several times that at least one of the people on the panel wasn't writing while I was talking. I think part of finding a good person to hire is to get to know them a little bit and find out why they are wanting the job. Everyone is different and is going to create different nuances that should be explored. I did attempt to interject at the end of the interview and as I was packing up to leave to provide more background as to why I wanted the job and why I felt I would make a good candidate. The panel appeared rather indifferent to my discussion. It was clear I wasn't going to get an offer. I traveled 400 miles RT to interview in person to better my chances at candidacy. It made no difference to them. Considering how robotic the interview was, I could just as well have done it over the phone.

Interview Questions

Application

interviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in August 2014.

Interview

Three people panel. Five questions read from a paper I was given as I walked in. Finding the interview was the hardest part. Instruction were given to one building but the interview was in another building.

Financial Clerk Interview

Interview

Interview process was very basic. As a US Air Force Veteran, I was pre-selected for the position prior to the interview.

Financial Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service.

Interview

Got hired as a technician-no interview. Got promoted to LIM program years later-1 interview with 3 person panel. Pretty standard questions.

Financial Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service (Indianapolis, IN) in January 2013.

Interview

Hiring was lengthy - the time from resume submission to interview request was about six weeks. Interviews are business professional and by a panel that does not include the hiring official. Be prepared to answer the usual questions about leadership situations.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any difficult or unexpected questions - mostly the usual, "Tell us about a difficult situation at work and how you resolved it," repetoire.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. The job was posted as a GS 07/09/11 career ladder. You start as a GS07 at $38,500 and are automatically promoted annually until you reach the GS11.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service (Columbus, OH) in April 2009.

Interview

I had an in person interview. Then I had to wait months and months for the job opening to be approved. After that I had to fill out all the paper work for the security check. That took about 3 months to be completed.

Interview Questions

• What has been an experience that was a difficult problem for you to solve during your career?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiation. I was offered a position by way of the Leaders In Motion program. That was the only hiring authority available at the time.

Accounting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Limestone, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service (Limestone, ME) in September 2008.

Interview

I applied on line and received a letter of consideration. I thne had to submit paperwork allowing DOD to process my criminal background and then was sent to the office for an informal interview. I then received a "Tentative" offer and went in for orientation for 3 days. After my background check was complete for security, I was hired permanent.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years.   2 Answers
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating nor any interview process. They were doing a huge hire and they basically wanted simply high school graduates.

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in May 2011.

Interview

Complete long application, receive call, complete long forms for security check. Submit to security check which involves agents interviewing your neighbors, friends, parents, ex spouses and others. Then fill out forms to submit to credit check. After this you may be interviewed by a panel of people.

Interview Questions

• This is not really relevant the questions were random from the panel   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Defense Finance and Accounting Service in June 2009.

Interview

The interview was very thorough and direct. DFAS is an organization focusing on hiring in new professional talent with a customer service focus. The required qualifications are very similar to what public accounting firms seek: four year business degree, high gpa, certifications are a plus. The process was very competitive with peers, and the offer was very competitive as compared to other firms / companies.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were presented with a difficult work situation, and how you handled it.   Answer Question